Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TSS commencing an action against the BCSA

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great now 60-80 more families per age/gender can spend $3k/season on soccer. Just what we needed.

Someone is happily filling their pockets...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
But were metro kids getting into prestiges schools like UFV, UBC and SFU? Not a chance, big difference big big difference. It’s a bloody piss take.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great now 60-80 more families per age/gender can spend $3k/season on soccer. Just what we needed.

Someone is happily filling their pockets...

And with 4 clubs being added this for sure opens the door to more saying "and we're joining in '21." For sure Port Moody, CCB, and Surrey FC will be knocking on the door today at the BCSA and BCSPL offices asking for the price tag to get entry (club licensing). What happens when everyone is licensed? My club wants to get a national license, in a couple years, but we're nowhere near good enough (the on-field player quality) to join a league like BCSPL, and could barely field metro teams most years). We develop loads of players for those leagues, but not entire teams worth in each age group.

There are 1-3 teams in each year/gender at BCSPL that are struggling significantly. But we're going to add 4 more teams? Some clubs aren't fielding teams. But we'll add 4 teams? TSS itself asked quite loudly "where are the coaches coming from?" but we'll add 4? TSS can provide sufficient coaching, no problem, I know they can and will. They have a superb program (having competed against them time to time on the pitch). But can the other 11, for all of their 10 teams? No. I know they can't and don't. Having spoken with many players and parents the level of is generally insufficient across BCSPL - there are some wonderful coaches, of course. I mean as a whole. How can I say "insufficient"? Show me the total value of scholarships given out each year. Show me how many kids are signing for Whitecaps u23/reserves each year. Show me how many kids are in the Whitecaps. Enough time has passed that Whitecaps should have more BC-players. Now this isn't totally BCSPL fault, of course not, they have sent a good amount to Whitecaps academy. But, BCSPL, and it's feeder clubs, build the foundation from which the Whitecaps academy continues development.

I can't see the logic in spending so much, as a parent, for my kid to play BCSPL. Maybe if my kid is the very very best, and will go to Whitecaps, sure it makes sense, but only if you get signed to them very early. Whitecaps players get the real scholarships. Look at where that $3000 goes - coaching, primarily. Before signing for any BCSPL team ask what players that coach has developed and sent on to bigger and better things. Give the 4 new teams a wee bit of a break on that, as they haven't been in this league. Ask those questions of them in about 5 years - I'd think in those 5 years they'll have uncovered and trained at least a couple at Whitecaps level, based on probability. But you can ask those 4 clubs what their specific plan is to develop your child.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly.

Pretty soon will basically just be the original metro league :rolleyes:

That's what I said on metro yesterday. The whole entire point of BCSPL was to condense talent on and off the pitch. Greater quality control - though from what I've seen and heard there isn't any actual quality control - and I was totally on board with this aspect. 8 teams was perfect. Should those 8 be granted a spot each year? No. Examine each team at each age, each year, and evaluate if another program can offer better services for the following year. Not pro-rel from metro. Genuine scouting of the top clubs, and their entire program, to see if they can provide the necessary service to help kids reach Whitecaps, CPL, or other pro soccer opps. Because if the goal is "scholarships" then you are completely wasting everyones time - this was already being achieved pre-BCSPL.

Last edited:

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Triple.

New franchises coming to Newton in the next 2 years too.

100% Surrey FC and CCB will be in now, soon as they get the licensing in order (if they haven't already). Both should have been in already ahead of 2-3 current clubs, but I digress....

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
But were metro kids getting into prestiges schools like UFV, UBC and SFU? Not a chance, big difference big big difference. It’s a bloody piss take.

I have been asking this question, and it never gets answered. What is the total value of scholarships being handed out each year to BCSPL players. How much have these players parents spent on that kids BCSPL "career"? Value for money? Whitecaps kids are getting fantastic scholarships. So if yer kid is good enough for Whitecaps then BCSPL costs make some sense.

soccerstar

Aug 29, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I sometimes ref at Newton. Heard CCB and SFC also applied for national youth programming.

Maybe they already next batch.

But last weekend a coach told me CCB Is shutting down. They have vote happening in Feb.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
CCB applying eh?

Here's their TD posting a tweet this morning congratulating the 4 clubs announced. Not sure how this kind of communication meets the standard for national club charter :bag:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CCB is never without their drama, eh? Wow...just the rumor is crazy enough to believe it may be true.

Shutting down? There are so many different possibilities to that. What part of their club would be, etc.? Can't see it, way too many stake holders. Could see another merge / takeover I suppose, to grow the club, and a change on leadership...but who knows. Maybe they agree to submit this application alongside SFC for now with the thought that the clubs will merge after award regardless. Two horses in the race. It's an awesome drama to watch from afar. Get your popcorn.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is what my old man sent BC upon finding out about the new franchises...

Hello, Kjeld,

I've been directed to the BC Soccer website, and the announcement of four new associations for the Premier League.

A few thoughts:

-- I'm surprised that for something potentially that far-reaching, members weren't notified but rather were left to pick it up on the website.

-- What does BC Soccer see as the impact and implications? For existing franchises, size of the BCSPL, consequences at the Metro level and beyond?

-- How does the Academy admission fit with the Association's overall approach to academies given the outcome of the bylaw proposal at the November AGM?

-- Why has BC Soccer not entered any dialogue with its members re Acadamies and related issues nearly three months after the AGM and the lack of resolution of the Academy/membership issue? I respectfully suggest that while the motion did not pass, there was recognition that we need to work towards agreement on inclusion of everyone in the soccer community. The matter was put forward as pressing, and indeed it seems so to many of us. Yet we've heard nothing from BC Soccer, who surely needs to take some lead in consulting with its members to see if we can reach a consensus on how to proceed. When one considers the lead time to do this appropriately, consulting, drafting a clear and detailed proposal and making it available well before AGM motion deadlines, (albeit an approach BC Soccer chose not to follow last year), it seems that taking three months to even begin a process will seriously limit its effectiveness. Further delay will further limit the effectiveness of any eventual dialogue.

John Berry, Chair

Burnaby District Youth Soccer Association

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TBH I am completely fence sitting on this whole topic. Pretty much I come back to what Regs said: essentially what we have now is the Metro league, what it was originally established and intended for. I'm wondering why "all this" had to happen, the BCPL I mean, when we could have stuck with the system in place and mandated a professionally certified and compensated coaching staff. Possibly with the existing system in place, with improvements, the issue of player cost-to-play could have been better addressed, and identification of the best players, not just the best players who's parents could afford the financial burden.

Indeed, where does the Metro league fall right now? What's the point in calling it Metro? Why not simply BCPL, then Div. 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.? Why is everyone afraid of numbers? Are parents really so afraid to say their kid plays Div. 2 instead of Metro? Fcuk me....just call it what it is, and come out with a very simple flow chart that explains what should occur at each level. Give a guideline for coaches and parents, stick to it. Have a system of player promotion and demotion, stick with it. No more parent run teams that keep all the kids together for their whole youth careers in order to foster friendships. Fcuk that. Two or three players, every year, should be demoted, and the same number promoted. Have it mandated. No more blocking player pathways because a coach is afraid of cutting a player down. FFS, Azzie had no problem cutting me in favor of Guliano! (well, nobody would, lets be honest). Back then if we were cut from metro to Gold, we knew what team we were going to, and who the coaches were. Those coaches in turn recommended three or four players twice a year to go up to the Metro team for a look, or in the summer, a much longer trial period. It seemed to work.

I don't have an issue w/ TSS being brought into the fold. Really, how different are they now than the academies at Surrey United et all where elite level development occurs? The fact they aren't a community club? Really, I just see it as another option. I'm happy Langley got a spot only because I have a soft spot for the club and feel they should be in the same discussion as the other member franchises.

Here is the real issue: it's not necessarily scholarships. More BC players are now landing spots on University squads in BC because there are simply more squads. SFU, UBC, UVic, and all the CCAA Squads 20 years ago still needed to stock their players, and most were local. Nothing has changed in that respect. More players are landing down South due to easier identification and discovery, which has come w/ technology and improvements in communication. What we still aren't doing is placing more players into the National program. It's less now, much less. That, I think (hope), will change as CPL becomes more established and puts more players in the shop window, as well as (hopefully) a regional Tier 3 league.

I do like Mr. Berry's letter, though. Asks all the right questions in a thoughtful manner. He is delicately calling out the political game within the game, and I'm sure he's right to do so.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No @Dude, more players from bc are not heading south on scholarships, at least on the men's side.

That's the point of asking that question. If you are in whitecaps residency you are practically guaranteed one, but if you are in bcspl you are chopped liver.

Once it becomes clear you won't make Caps there is literally no point staying in bcspl.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks.

I was under the (misguided I guess) impression that we were getting more players South, albeit never the impression is has been a tidal wave more. I guess that impression came from my time w/ Surrey United and SFC, but I'm dating myself now. Small sample size even then.

Also, it's an easy argument to make, I'm sure, for the vast amount more "elite development" and professional coaching we have, we have not seen a commensurate increase in players going South. I suppose it's all the same situation: coaches down South will look for local kids first, and prefer them. It's not like the Americans haven't been keeping up on the whole soccer academy craze themselves.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts