Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UBC and Caps Partner in a New Training Centre

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know that when they negotiated in Coquitlam a few years ago, they wanted full access to Town Centre and certain field as their own that would have reduced the field availability in the complex for everyone - even with future expansion. The city decided against...

Good for Coquitlam! Whoever visited Burnaby West Lake could notice a huge fence around field #5. That was the field that Burnaby City allocated to Whitecaps and, as far as I know, it ended up being the field only for Whitecaps. I wonder how much money Whitecaps paid (if any) to the City of Burnaby for the exclusive right to use that field.

Whitecaps tried in Delta, Coquitlam, and Burnaby. Obviously something was wrong with their request otherwise somebody would accept their proposal. After this deal with UBC it is obvious that Whitecaps were looking for the free land (got it from UBC) and also money from BC Government (got that too).

What really bothers me with this deal at UBC is the fact that BC Government is investing $15 million!!! The official story is that all users will be able to use the fields 50% of the time. Now, which youth club is going to practice at UBC? Also, if Whitecaps got the land for free and if BC Government is paying $15 million I have to question how much the total investment is!? Two fields with artificial turf and one grass field (apparently) plus a club house. That cannot cost more than $15 million (money that BC Government is investing). Beside that, how many new fields we could build elsewhere for $15 million?

I have no idea why BC Government is getting involved with the professional soccer club and investing that money.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Id thought I'd read 5 fields total with 2 turf and three grass, a field house facility complete with medical equipment, which is a share deal with UBC Soccer and Riugby and other field sports to help with their varsity programs which have been suffering under poor conditions for ages...

I bet that they will cap access to only half the capacity though to create some special ambiance there RL RCD... ;)

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
What really bothers me with this deal at UBC is the fact that BC Government is investing $15 million!!! The official story is that all users will be able to use the fields 50% of the time. Now, which youth club is going to practice at UBC? Also, if Whitecaps got the land for free and if BC Government is paying $15 million I have to question how much the total investment is!? Two fields with artificial turf and one grass field (apparently) plus a club house. That cannot cost more than $15 million (money that BC Government is investing). Beside that, how many new fields we could build elsewhere for $15 million?

Sweet, VUFC recently merged with Point Grey and our training sessions are at UBC. I guess that means we get the new fields! Bandcamp, let's get on this and ensure we get dibs!! :wa:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts