Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vancouver Whitecaps Youth Academy

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Schedule is out...

'96/'95's
USSDA U15/16 Whitecaps Schedule

'94/93's
USSDA U17/18 Whitecaps Schedule

Whitecaps FC will play in the Western Conference (Northwest Division) joining:
  • Cal Odyssey
  • California Development Academy
  • Crossfire Premier
  • De Anza Force
  • San Jose Earthquakes
  • Santa Cruz Breakers Academy
  • Seattle Sounders

Interesting to see that the Portland Timbers aren't joining the USSDA. At one time, there was at least two Portland teams in the Academy league but they opted out.

Apparently the WFC teams are picked. The U17/18 team will be familiar names as most will come out of the residency program already playing in the PDL (Stanese, Fisk, Clarke, Alderson etc...).

It will be interesting to see all the names and how many are from BC.

Hopefully quite a few as I'm really keen on watching quite a few games and hopefully the coaching staff are keen on bringing in guest players from HPL clubs. Barcelona even make selection mistakes and so much changes over even a few months. There are some really good players up there but none are THAT good that it should be a closed shop.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What is the cutoff for the age groupings? Start of the season? Because the majority of 1993's will already be 18 years old and likely playing on college teams this year.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In most Academy teams like the Sounders, the players who stay for that last year are usually boys who haven't gotten scholarships yet, aren't planning on going to school yet or are late-born (August to December grade 12 students).

Entrance into schools in the states is from August to August - not like up here where entrance is January to January.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Djones, Is this the first season the whitecaps have participated in this league? Or where they in it before the big club was in the mls? I like the idea of not having a solid roster and calling up players from the hpl. Gives players not there something to aim for.

TA

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First year.

They were in Super Y League a few years back but they will be the first and only Canadian team in the league.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not yet. the '93/'94's will come from there residency program who also play on their PDL roster. Players like Alderson, Stanese, Fisk, Clarke etc... You could probably look at that list and see the players that will be involved.

The '95/'96 team has a 3 CMF players on it, a goalie from the Island and a few '96 players on the team. Half of the roster are players from Alberta, from what I'm hearing. They did have an outstanding team in Alberta in Edmonton Italia or Juventus that cleaned up at Nationals 2 years ago and finished 2nd or 3rd last year against older '94 teams.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Whitecaps Academy schedule is closer to be completed.

Apparently they are playing some of their home games down in Seattle at Starfire.

The first time we'll get to see them in action in BC is October.

Was this part of the deal with USSDA? Play your home games vs. California and Arizona teams in Washington State. Passport issues for these clubs maybe?

No rosters yet.

U.S. Soccer Development Academy - Whitecaps FC

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would bet just about anything it has to do with passports. Only something like 35% of Americans have one.

Passports for sure. Back in the days the Crossfire came up for Y League( and Yakima) it was almost a surprise to them that they needed one( Because of course they are the greatest nation....)

I would also suggest that it is the "if you want to be involved you must come to us" issue as this is afterall the USSF Academy League( no CSA in there anywhere)

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The true test of that theory of "come to us" will come when/if Montreal and Toronto join USSDA. Toronto sticking with CSL to my knowledge though - which has served them well based on the develop of guys like Morgan, Stinson, and Henry.

Quebec announcing semi-pro league on Thursday - so maybe Montreal youth will play in that? Guess it depends on the details of the new QC League but can't see it being CSL standard....?

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rosters are up.

Now, here's a (not so) funny story...
I look at the U16 roster and there's a grand total of 1 '96 player from BC there, an excellent player BTW with passages on NTC, PTP. That's fine, one is betther than none and maybe our player base at this age group is thin, right?
But I know that last year BC's U14 PTP (the '96s) were Canadian champions beating Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, etc. on the way to the title. Humm, AB put 4 players in the roster and MB 2... Maybe these were star players in weak(er) teams but I wonder how likely it is that the winning team wouldn't have enough (local) talent to have a better representation on the Residency program.

Seems hard to believe...

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rosters are up.

Now, here's a (not so) funny story...
I look at the U16 roster and there's a grand total of 1 '96 player from BC there, an excellent player BTW with passages on NTC, PTP. That's fine, one is betther than none and maybe our player base at this age group is thin, right?
But I know that last year BC's U14 PTP (the '96s) were Canadian champions beating Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, etc. on the way to the title. Humm, AB put 4 players in the roster and MB 2... Maybe these were star players in weak(er) teams but I wonder how likely it is that the winning team wouldn't have enough (local) talent to have a better representation on the Residency program.

Seems hard to believe...

Welcome to the real world of player dev in this province over the last 5 years. If you buy into the next 5 years, the fact that WFC will now be working with the U14 group full time it is clear they believe that this will turn the BC representation around. Of course the Club has been working with many of these 96 born players that did not make the grade 2-3 times per week for several years as it is......

Time will tell.......

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The '96 age group could be the strongest age group to come along in a long, long time in BC. The fact is, the Whitecaps have done a very poor job of scouting this group in BC because of relied on NTC/PTP recommendations and they are lumped in with the '95 age group meaning the boys they choose have to be physically strong, early developed and at least technically decent rather than technically strong and physically decent. The later are assets that other strong soccer countries look for.

In saying that, the boy from BC, IMO, is both physically strong and technically strong - especially for his position. Good player!

No problem with his selection but I honestly feel that they have missed a truckload of players that should/could be involved, hopefully, next year IF they do a better job of scouting. Crossfire's Pre-Academy team ('96 - the team that will compete in the USSDA next year) just played in our tournament and went 0 for 3 against HPL teams.

My question is this, if they do find players in BC that are better, will they correct it and will they send these boys home after making this huge commitment? It's easier to send a local boy home but what about someone who re-locates?

While some USSDA teams have upwards of 25-30 players on the list, the Whitecaps only have 16 on their U17/18 team. Cutting it a bit slim, no?

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
The fact is, the Whitecaps have done a very poor job of scouting this group in BC because of relied on NTC/PTP recommendations and they are lumped in with the '95 age group meaning the boys they choose have to be physically strong, early developed and at least technically decent rather than technically strong and physically decent. The later are assets that other strong soccer countries look for."

It is the same story every year, whether it is BC Team or Whitecaps team, so it does not apply only to this year's '95s or '96s.

If anyone has exceptionally talented kid (a soccer player) my advice is not to waste any time with Whitecaps. Find some connections in Europe and take your kid for a try-out there.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The '96 age group could be the strongest age group to come along in a long, long time in BC. The fact is, the Whitecaps have done a very poor job of scouting this group in BC because of relied on NTC/PTP recommendations and they are lumped in with the '95 age group meaning the boys they choose have to be physically strong, early developed and at least technically decent rather than technically strong and physically decent. The later are assets that other strong soccer countries look for.

In saying that, the boy from BC, IMO, is both physically strong and technically strong - especially for his position. Good player!

No problem with his selection but I honestly feel that they have missed a truckload of players that should/could be involved, hopefully, next year IF they do a better job of scouting. Crossfire's Pre-Academy team ('96 - the team that will compete in the USSDA next year) just played in our tournament and went 0 for 3 against HPL teams.

My question is this, if they do find players in BC that are better, will they correct it and will they send these boys home after making this huge commitment? It's easier to send a local boy home but what about someone who re-locates? While some USSDA teams have upwards of 25-30 players on the list, the Whitecaps only have 16 on their U17/18 team. Cutting it a bit slim, no?
If they do send them home, tell them to take Jarju with them, ill personally drive them to the airport with Burke, ill even throw in some Timbits and a Swamp Water Slurpee for the ride.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I checked the Whitecaps U16 residency team list on the Caps website and it shows 5 BC players.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
After 4 years in the league, how have our academy teams done in the top US developmental league?

The Whitecaps Residency U18's have made the playoffs in each of their 4 years and in 2012, they made it to the USSDA championship finals and lost to a very good FC Dallas club. The 16's have also made the playoffs and got to the final 8 last year.

The Montreal Impact academy, the only other Canadian club in the league, are in their 3rd year. Last year both the U16's and 18's made the playoff with the Impact U18's making it all the way to the semifinals before losing to the eventual winners.

Currently, the U18 Montreal Impact Academy team is currently in 2nd place in the entire USSDA league with their *playoff 2 position!

http://ussda.demosph...97603/TEAM.html

The only team above them is....

the Vancouver Whitecaps Residency

http://ussda.demosph...97603/TEAM.html

The only two Canadian club teams in the USSDA are #1 and #2 in this American top youth league. Early days but still quite a sight!

How many players they produce for the first team will be the true measure and with PDL, USL-Pro and then MLS, there might be a clearer path.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0