Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vancouver Whitecaps Youth Academy

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
After 4 years in the league, how have our academy teams done in the top US developmental league?

The Whitecaps Residency U18's have made the playoffs in each of their 4 years and in 2012, they made it to the USSDA championship finals and lost to a very good FC Dallas club. The 16's have also made the playoffs and got to the final 8 last year.

The Montreal Impact academy, the only other Canadian club in the league, are in their 3rd year. Last year both the U16's and 18's made the playoff with the Impact U18's making it all the way to the semifinals before losing to the eventual winners.

Currently, the U18 Montreal Impact Academy team is currently in 2nd place in the entire USSDA league with their *playoff 2 position!

http://ussda.demosph...97603/TEAM.html

The only team above them is....

the Vancouver Whitecaps Residency

http://ussda.demosph...97603/TEAM.html

The only two Canadian club teams in the USSDA are #1 and #2 in this American top youth league. Early days but still quite a sight!

How many players they produce for the first team will be the true measure and with PDL, USL-Pro and then MLS, there might be a clearer path.

Great post Danny. I am one of the toughest critics on our system at present, and am easily agitated these days, but the CAPS deserve a ton of credit here, but so do the local clubs that support ALL their initiatives. Every time they take a player from a club team, it causes a ripple effect that someone will have to handle. But the fact we see some substance at the end of it all makes it worthwhile. It keeps us vested. Maybe one day the CAPS will give a stipend for every player they select from the club system and we can put that money back into the clubs who can use that money to subsidize those players who aspire to play in high performance programming like BCSPL and can't afford it. Makes sense doesn't it? They do it every where else in the world.

I think most would/should be happy to hear that there is a large BC component to these teams. 10 altogether on the U18 team. 5 from Surrey United. 3 from Coquitlam Metro Ford. 2 from Vancouver Island. http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/eliteteams/residency/u18boys

The U-16's are composed of 16 BC boys, 3 from Surrey United, 1 from Surrey-Guildford United, 4 from Coquitlam Metro Ford, 4 from Burnaby Selects, 1 from North Vancouver FC, 1 from Fusion, 1 from Mountain, 1 from Vancouver FC.
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/eliteteams/residency/u16boys

I know we get critiqued a lot on our world rankings, but we are as good if not better than our American counterparts, so let's make sure we understand what's at play here.........

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The USSDA league tables certainly haven' lied the last few years. The testis 1st team football of course. Teibert has achieved this. Adekugbe should be in the regular 11 next year, Froese recently played 45 in Seattle in a massive game and Bustos is tearing it up. Carducci won't get in as long as Ousted is there, and rightly so as he's still too young anyway. Alderson tho must be considered a flop. Who is at fault? The player? The club? Both?

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby,

You know my feelings on how important the BC club teams are in this process. Without the hard work of the people involved in those clubs, getting to that level would be so much harder as the Whitecaps recruit from all over the country for players now.

ThiKu,
I got to watch Bryce a few times as my oldest son played with Alderson on the WC PDL team this summer. I thought he was very good at this level. I think the evaluation that the CSA, the Whitecaps, the supporters and the media had on him was way too high for an 17/18/19 year old coming through the system. They made him out to be the savior of Canadian Soccer and the posterboy for development. He's only now turned 20. He's a good solid prospect, like all the rest of them. The only prospects (drafted) that are making it through right now are strong athletic players. Bryce is more of a "footballing" player (holding midfielder) and needs likeminded players around him. He has flaws in his game and a huge jump to go from residency to MLS. Hopefully he does as does the rest of them.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
In recent years we've seen a lot of residency players join the college ranks either in the US (Irving, McKendry, etc) or at UBC/SFU, but what's the story with the guys currently playing for the likes of CCB in VMSL? Are they pretty much done in terms of professional opportunities, or would they be considered for the Caps USL Pro franchise? Yassin Essa is one that comes to mind as a player who was being highly touted just a year or two ago.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think what the Whitecaps do with their USL team over the next few years (as well as what they do with their PDL franchise) will be the real indicator as to where players go from where they are at present time.

Essa played with the WC PDL team in the summer but got injured early on. Not sure university/college was a real option for him coming out of the residency. He's a perfect example of a very good prospect coming out of the residency where the step up to MLS is too big. Needs more time to grow and develop. Hopefully he has the right attitude and mentality to persevere.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I noticed Bryce is included in the current Canadian National Team Camp.
http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-mnt-announces-roster-for-panama-friendly-p157160

Hard to say he's a flop if he's 20 yrs old and getting called up to the National Team. I remember Teibert was in a similar position ~3 years ago, and eventually broke through to become an MLS regular. Maybe it's just an instance of not getting the opportunities...

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alderson needs to break into the MLS team. He should be nowhere near our national team - such is the sad state of our nats.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why does it?

I felt over the past 5 weeks or so in filling in for Koffie, he settled in and played quite well in that second holding MF role. I think most people on here- besides those with unhealthy obsessions- would agree. He settled down, simplified his game, and I thought contributed just fine.

Who cares WHY he got that shot? Some will say the only reason he did was because he's the poster child...well, maybe. But, if he never got a shot at all, many would say he never got a shot because of the preference towards Americans or Internationals.

The point is, he got his chance, and did well with it...albeit after a lot of early season, and mid season, growing pains...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not one of Dude's "unhealthy obsession" types, but I'd argue that Teibert got the spot despite his limitations, and that speaks more to the shortcomings of the team and league than it does to the player - including both the awful style of play (reinforced by the archtypal US college "run faster" players the clubs want to draft) and by result the lack of creativity in midfield and finishing, and the lack of talent on the field. It's nice to watch our home team, but it's still not great footy to watch.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All that may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that, in his situation, he took advantage. Shouldn't that be to his credit?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
All that may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that, in his situation, he took advantage. Shouldn't that be to his credit?

It would be if that were true. He's absolutely tragic. For every great ball - and there are some, I will agree - he gives away about three shockers.... and the percentage of goals conceded where he's let his man wander and finish is.... high... he doesn't belong on an MLS park, sorry...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You are mistaking me for a RT fan. I’m not. I’m just not a hater, or worse, unhealthily obsessed.

That's not the case. What I pointed out to you is that your logic is flawed. No matter what you, I, or unhealthily obsessed folks think, the fact is he has broken in. He clearly has worked hard, and by either hook or crook, he has gained favour w/ the manager, and earned himself playing time on a half decent squad. You also can't take away that his most impactful time game during their late season unbeaten run.

So, whether you or I like him or not, think he is worthy or not, is completely beside the point. Come on man, aren’t you a lawyer? Shouldn’t you be able to separate reason from emotion?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You are mistaking me for a RT fan. I’m not. I’m just not a hater, or worse, unhealthily obsessed.

That's not the case. What I pointed out to you is that your logic is flawed. No matter what you, I, or unhealthily obsessed folks think, the fact is he has broken in. He clearly has worked hard, and by either hook or crook, he has gained favour w/ the manager, and earned himself playing time on a half decent squad. You also can't take away that his most impactful time game during their late season unbeaten run.

So, whether you or I like him or not, think he is worthy or not, is completely beside the point. Come on man, aren’t you a lawyer? Shouldn’t you be able to separate reason from emotion?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah yes, the old I don't like your take so I'll label it "emotion" approach. Quaint.

Never met the guy. No skin in the game aside from wanting the Caps to do well. Facts are that he coughs up frequently and is often guilty of blowing his coverage.

I suppose there's some subjectivity there, but I don't hear anyone exactly quarreling either assertion either, so...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hard to dispute the facts, isn't it? You are emotional about this, not unbiased, and you are right about the shortcomings in his game. So what?

The question is, why this: "Teibert becoming an MLS regular needs a gigantic asterisk beside it..."

Why?

How is him getting a change any different from any other player getting a chance in the MLS? By your reasoning, ALL players whom have been given a chance, and taken it, deserve an *, because I'm sure you'd find any number of critics that will pick apart the player's game.

I guess by your reasoning, when somebody out there makes a list of players whom have worked their way into the starting 11 of the MLS, when RT's name comes up, it should be as so:

*Russel Tiebert: doesn't really count because he coughs (the ball) up frequently and is often guilty of blowing his coverage.

Seriously, that is your argument? He doesn't desrve to be mentioned amongst a legion of other bubble players because "he coughs up (the ball) frequently and is often guilty of blowing his coverage"? So other players of his ilk don't have shortcomings?

That's weak. Come on MTKB, I expect better of you.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money

Interesting! So, those who do not like RT are either emotional or unhealthily obsessed while you (a person who labels people who do not like RT as obsessed, emotional, haters, etc.) are not his fan!? What that makes you then? What kind of obsession is that when you defend RT and label other people as haters/emotional/obsessed?

Now, let me tell you how RT managed to get into Whitecaps first team. Their academy/prospects (whatever we call that illusion) has NOT produced a single significant or impact young player although they grabbed every single talent that existed in Canada for the last several years. Whose mistake is that?

I simply cannot believe that no one was really good enough to become a model young player who succeeded. No, some guys were really, really good but the intention was not to make them better players; the intention obviously was to try to make some quick money - take talented kids (who guys like Ballbaby, djones, old Mike, etc.) taught everything, take them to Europe (that is why some of those trips were organized) and hope someone notices some of those guys and.... it is an easy money! But, that experiment did not work. European teams can have a limited number of foreign players, first of all, and they do not really need somebody from Whitecaps unless it is a new Maradona.

Millions of (wasted) dollars later somebody simply HAD to make the first team (maybe the owners finally started asking questions). That somebody (who had to make the team) happened to be RT. But, RT's style of play is nothing but a glaring proof how poor job that Academy has done.
Should we be surprised? Not really! What can you expect from an organization who drafts only speedsters (Hurtado, Mattocks,...) who have no ball skill whatsoever. Man, anyone who played center forward in any division 3 league in Europe will tell you immediately that it is shocking how those Whitecaps speedsters (at age 23, 24) do not even understand where they have to run (without the ball). With the ball it is comical (trying to run through the opponent all the time) but without the ball it is a tragedy.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting! So, those who do not like RT are either emotional or unhealthily obsessed while you (a person who labels people who do not like RT as obsessed, emotional, haters, etc.) are not his fan!? What that makes you then? What kind of obsession is that when you defend RT and label other people as haters/emotional/obsessed?

It makes me emotionally stable, and able to carry on a conversation about the player without foaming at the mouth or going into fits of rage. Now, if the topic were Darren Mattocks, that'd be different.

Now, let me tell you how RT managed to get into Whitecaps first team. Their academy/prospects (whatever we call that illusion) has NOT produced a single significant or impact young player although they grabbed every single talent that existed in Canada for the last several years. Whose mistake is that?

I simply cannot believe that no one was really good enough to become a model young player who succeeded. No, some guys were really, really good but the intention was not to make them better players; the intention obviously was to try to make some quick money - take talented kids (who guys like Ballbaby, djones, old Mike, etc.) taught everything, take them to Europe (that is why some of those trips were organized) and hope someone notices some of those guys and.... it is an easy money! But, that experiment did not work. European teams can have a limited number of foreign players, first of all, and they do not really need somebody from Whitecaps unless it is a new Maradona.

Millions of (wasted) dollars later somebody simply HAD to make the first team (maybe the owners finally started asking questions). That somebody (who had to make the team) happened to be RT. But, RT's style of play is nothing but a glaring proof how poor job that Academy has done.
Should we be surprised? Not really! What can you expect from an organization who drafts only speedsters (Hurtado, Mattocks,...) who have no ball skill whatsoever. Man, anyone who played center forward in any division 3 league in Europe will tell you immediately that it is shocking how those Whitecaps speedsters (at age 23, 24) do not even understand where they have to run (without the ball). With the ball it is comical (trying to run through the opponent all the time) but without the ball it is a tragedy.

OK, so how does that change my point? Sports teams in sports league the world over are riddled with players that have "made the team" due to their political situation within the club. Either they are high draft picks, or in this case "homegrown", and the club has a vested interest in seeing that player succeed.

I'm not saying it is right, I am saying that it is NORMAL.

Also, you still can't give me a real solid argument why RT would need this * by his name. His situation is not that unusual in pro sports circles. Seriously, fcuking calm down about the guy, we get it, everybody gets it. He made the squad for reasons not entirely due to his ability. It's understood. You don't have to get all foamy about it, I agree with you.

Sheesh.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I refuse to take a side as I don't want to step on either ones toes, but believe you both have valid points. Thought you should know.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0