Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL Div 1] Predictions, Results & Banter 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sierra are an interesting case in Div. 2. They were the one of the best in Burnaby Premier so it stands to reason they would be able to hang in at Div. 1.

I was wondering where Sierra in BMSA went to, thanks. I agree, the top teams in BMSA are of VMSL div.1 quality. It's a long season though so good luck to them.

Loose those 4 teams and promote 4 teams from Div. 2 and everyone has a fair chance to compete, any upper div. 2 team would beat any div.1 team on a given day.

I won't entirely disagree, in a one off game anything can happen. If people really wanted to see something like this then why not have the bottom half of div.1 enter the div.2 cup!?!
Div2 and Div3 teams would get to have a go at arguably better teams in a higher division and see where they stand competitive wise. For the div1 teams it's a realistic chance of winning some silverware and a chance to play in a provincial cup which is more than fun imo. Upper div1 teams will still have the desire to play the Prem teams with not a chance-in-hell of winning the competition but if an upset does happen along the way then it's big time news!

Who's gonna be the first one to tell me div.1 teams are signed on A forms so they can't compete in the div.2 cup? lol

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who's gonna be the first one to tell me div.1 teams are signed on A forms so they can't compete in the div.2 cup? lol

Yep, that's exactly why. In the past it was beneficial to the league to have more teams on A Forms because that was part of the criteria used by the BC Soccer Competition Committee to allocate Provincial Cup berths.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Technically I suppose the league could have them play in the Div. 2 Cup as it is an internal competition. They just would not be allowed to play in the Provincial B Cup. So if they made it to the Div. 2 Cup final they league would have to have a way to reallocate those berths.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I notice that VISL & FVSL both have multi-division cup tournaments which are open to anyone who chooses to enter them. I believe the VISL Cup final is already set with Gorge D1 vs Gorge D3 in the final. If there's enough interest maybe this is something that could be created for VMSL. I know early in the season it would be good to have the option for some extra games as usually that's when our roster is the deepest and playing time is the hardest to manage.

binderdonedat

Mar 28, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watched some VMSL games this season and Division 1 is not what it used to be. Its a lot weaker and it actually reminds me of cat division and in many ways that's what it is this year, 4 out of 12 teams cant get promoted to premier. Loose those 4 teams and promote 4 teams from Div. 2 and everyone has a fair chance to compete, any upper div. 2 team would beat any div.1 team on a given day. A perfect example is metro ford and greencaps both of them got promoted last year and both of them are near the top of the table in div.1.
Yeah I totally agree, watching some of the games in the last few years, I can totally see few teams in div 2 right now who can compete in div 1. For the last two years teams that got promoted from div 2 have done really well in div 1. Burnaby metro and Burnaby Eagles both got promoted two years ago and they have been doing really well in div 1. In div 2 Burnaby metro had 14-6-2 record and Eagles were 14-5-3. They had competitive season in div 2 and dropped a lot of points. I really think vmsl div 2 should have more promotion spots. At least 3 in my eyes.

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
All the current top teams in Div.1 are former Div.2 teams in last 2 years, Lupi, Greencaps, Burnaby Eagles and Burnaby Metro. I agree at least 3 teams from Div.2 should get promoted, maybe have a playoff game for the 3rd spot between Div.1 and Div.2. Right now top 5 teams in each pool in Div. 2 can beat any Div.1 team.

I just dont get the logic of playing in Div.1 and not being able to get promoted, how do you sell that to a player? In reality how many players from Rinos, Norvan, Inter and Lupi get called up to the first team? Maybe 1 player maybe 2 if they are short on players. So to say its for a development purposes, I just dont buy it!

I dont have a horse in Div.1 or Div.2, I am just an outside spectator that is involved in College soccer and I see a problem in a local soccer with the current set up.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So what happens when you punt Rino's and Lupi out of Div. 1 and they win Division 2 again...?

The bottleneck has to happen somewhere, unless you say only one open team per club.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right now top 5 teams in each pool in Div. 2 can beat any Div.1 team.

No way that they compete with the top teams. Bottom teams...I wouldn't rule it out. Of the teams that you listed, only the Greencaps were a real div.2 side. The other teams have a certain pedigree and were put together to be a contending team. @Canucks4Ever explained who Lupi are. Burnaby Metro were mostly div.1 players headed by former UBC and Whitecap player. White Eagles have a long history or yo-yoing from Premier and Div.1. Although it's probably a new set of players coming through they still can attract good players through their history in the league.

I just dont get the logic of playing in Div.1 and not being able to get promoted, how do you sell that to a player? In reality how many players from Rinos, Norvan, Inter and Lupi get called up to the first team? Maybe 1 player maybe 2 if they are short on players. So to say its for a development purposes, I just dont buy it!

Maybe the players aren't as ambitious and would rather play where they know they will be competitive? If a player wants to play at a higher level then maybe they have to leave their club and tryout for another team? I don't know. The CAT division was garbage. Division 1 is better but it definitely has room to improve.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So if they westside sierra get promoted they can still go up and play westside next season

Yup, it’s only in Premier where you’re only permitted one team per club.

@dezza remind us, did Rino’s have 3 teams in div1 a couple seasons back? Or was it only 2?

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
So what happens when you punt Rino's and Lupi out of Div. 1 and they win Division 2 again...?

The bottleneck has to happen somewhere, unless you say only one open team per club.

Maybe the right solution for now is to have one open team per club, until the VMSL board can figure out what is the right long term solution. I understand that norvan, rino, inter and lupi would all be in favour to keep the current system, I cant seem to understand the point of it. Rinos and Lupi have a legit chance to finish top 2 in the division and that would mean that 3rd and 4th place get promoted to premier and do you really think that they would do well in premier?? they would get pumped week in week out by other premier teams therefore the level of premier would go down as well. Maybe another option is allowing affiliated teams to be promoted to premier and having more than 1 team in premier, they wont be able to share players. I can see that being an issue with smaller clubs and it opens up to collusion (according to @Soccer Coach) although I dont think teams would collude if anything that would create internal rivalries, like the rinos vs tigers they had some heated games between them two.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whoever wins Division 1 should be promoted to Premier; it should not matter if another team from the same club is already in Premier.

Each team should be treated as an independent entity; irrelevant of the club’s association. Anything else is a joke; why allow then any club to have another team in any other division if that team, at the end, cannot be promoted to Premier?

So what if Wolves and Lupi (from Metro Ford) are both in Premier? Players would be registered for one team only (either Wolves or Lupi), no player movement should be allowed between those two teams unless it is one (per season) regular transfer (the same rule for every team in the league).

Yes, there is a danger that down the road big clubs like Metro Ford end up having 3, 4 or even more teams in Premier league but, again, it should not matter if players are registered only for one team and cannot move between the teams whenever they (or coaches or the club) want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0