Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL DIV 2] Predictions, Results & Banter 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are the groups settled/posted yet for the season?

Who is coming down from Div 1?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually we just asked the league to trade down our Div1 spot for a Div2 spot so we could better manage the teams + players in our club. Our resources were stretched just a bit too thin last year with teams in the same division, and collaboration between coaches was impossible.

Cobra completely dropped out of VMSL, and Westside earned the spot above Siaron based on both goal differential and average points per game.

Lager_General

Aug 13, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually we just asked the league to trade down our Div1 spot for a Div2 spot so we could better manage the teams + players in our club. Our resources were stretched just a bit too thin last year with teams in the same division, and collaboration between coaches was impossible.

Cobra completely dropped out of VMSL, and Westside earned the spot above Siaron based on both goal differential and average points per game.

Thanks for the clarifying, Dezza. Any idea why Cobra folded? Don't usually see decent teams cutting loose.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure on Cliff Cobras, perhaps, after having thrown away the league title down the stretch, they didn't realize that Akal's vacancy needed to be filled and their players weren't keen on another year in Div. 3? After their decent Cup run I'm sure they had a group that was hungry for a higher level of weekly competition. Maybe the core has found a Div. 2 spot to amalgamate into??

Div. 2 B absolutely a pool of death. Greencaps are the B Provincial Champions and Metro have just been relegated. Shaheen and Sarjevo were relegated last season plus Harps and Gastown both had a year in Div. 1 not so long ago. Should be a bloodbath between those 6 all season. Snipers are always a wild card as well. Two promoted teams in Bosna and Westside plus Twin Arrows who survived the relegation playoff will have to scrap it out with Euro and Punjab Tigers to stay in the division, you have to think anyway.

On the A side it looks like 13th Legion have to be the favourite given how close they were last season, but Metro Ford Lupi waltzed through Div. 3 and presumably have no intention of staying in Div. 2 very long. I would make them pre-season promotion contenders as well. Rinos is an interesting twist coming down from Div. 1, but, given that it sounds like they will be using this team as the bottom of the hierarchy in their club system, I would expect them to be a step down from NorVan, whose spot they are assuming. Newly promoted Royal City should not be completely discounted as, assuming they've held on to those brothers, they will win their fair share of games. Serbia had a great end to their campaign last year and both Sea to Sky and Vancouver Strikers are looking to return to their former status as contenders. In this "weaker" division it's tough to write anyone off as relegation fodder either, looks pretty even and I would expect to see lots of teams taking points off each other.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure on Cliff Cobras, perhaps, after having thrown away the league title down the stretch, they didn't realize that Akal's vacancy needed to be filled and their players weren't keen on another year in Div. 3? After their decent Cup run I'm sure they had a group that was hungry for a higher level of weekly competition. Maybe the core has found a Div. 2 spot to amalgamate into??

Div. 2 B absolutely a pool of death. Greencaps are the B Provincial Champions and Metro have just been relegated. Shaheen and Sarjevo were relegated last season plus Harps and Gastown both had a year in Div. 1 not so long ago. Should be a bloodbath between those 6 all season. Snipers are always a wild card as well. Two promoted teams in Bosna and Westside plus Twin Arrows who survived the relegation playoff will have to scrap it out with Euro and Punjab Tigers to stay in the division, you have to think anyway.

On the A side it looks like 13th Legion have to be the favourite given how close they were last season, but Metro Ford Lupi waltzed through Div. 3 and presumably have no intention of staying in Div. 2 very long. I would make them pre-season promotion contenders as well. Rinos is an interesting twist coming down from Div. 1, but, given that it sounds like they will be using this team as the bottom of the hierarchy in their club system, I would expect them to be a step down from NorVan, whose spot they are assuming. Newly promoted Royal City should not be completely discounted as, assuming they've held on to those brothers, they will win their fair share of games. Serbia had a great end to their campaign last year and both Sea to Sky and Vancouver Strikers are looking to return to their former status as contenders. In this "weaker" division it's tough to write anyone off as relegation fodder either, looks pretty even and I would expect to see lots of teams taking points off each other.

Norvan Viking team deserves a shot at Div1
Short changed 2 seasons in a row
Quality coach came from Chile u21

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cobra had a bit of a summer league implosion, as according to my Anonymous Soccer Source, the latino core of the team have left. Royal City apparently do still have the brothers, so goals and cards can be expected. I would not be surprised to see Metro Ford pushing for promotion either.

ref44

Aug 13, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

Smart move to be able to bring players up every game now.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
anybody know what's going on with sea to sky? Forfeiting the first two games of the season is a pretty bad look

Section 4 – Schedule

4.5. Any team responsible for defaulting or cancelling a game will be charged with all the expenses incurred in preparation for such game as per Section 8.e. of the VMSL rules and Regulations. The Board of Directors shall have the power to suspend or expel any member club who has defaulted and/or forfeited 3 or more games in one regular season.

Given the precedent set with Akal last season, I would say it is definitely in Sea to Sky's best interest to field a team this week, youth players or not.

In other Div. 2 news, CMF Lupi with a quiet win in an early season promotion 6 pointer with a 2-1 over 13th Legion.

Macho Man

Oct 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Section 4 – Schedule

4.5. Any team responsible for defaulting or cancelling a game will be charged with all the expenses incurred in preparation for such game as per Section 8.e. of the VMSL rules and Regulations. The Board of Directors shall have the power to suspend or expel any member club who has defaulted and/or forfeited 3 or more games in one regular season.

Given the precedent set with Akal last season, I would say it is definitely in Sea to Sky's best interest to field a team this week, youth players or not.

In other Div. 2 news, CMF Lupi with a quiet win in an early season promotion 6 pointer with a 2-1 over 13th Legion.

Was hugely impressed with them week 1, they're a team that'll go places. The fluidity in their midfield and attack is a joy to watch, but not to play against. One weak point might be their D. Defenders didn't seem comfortable with ball at their feet at all. Bit of joy to be had pressing them high up the field

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was hugely impressed with them week 1, they're a team that'll go places. The fluidity in their midfield and attack is a joy to watch, but not to play against. One weak point might be their D. Defenders didn't seem comfortable with ball at their feet at all. Bit of joy to be had pressing them high up the field

Yes they are definitely going places if they can keep their group together. Last year they broke into the league as a rogue offshoot of the "A" Wolves (hence the "Lupi" moniker...) and just overwhelmed Div. 3. I understand that they are comprised mainly of guys who came up through the Metro Ford system together, but were convinced that they were never going to get a fair look in at the top level under the current set up with Les, etc. A bit of a closed shop out there I gather, plus Les' coaching style isn't for everyone. They have some upper Div. 1/lower Premier quality players in their set up, so they should most definitely be pushing for promotion this season.

It's a bit similar to what happened when West Van's u21s went to the Fraser Valley League for a year to play Premier out there. They weren't getting a look in with the "A" group and decided that rather than just wait around and hope for a chance one day, they would take their talents elsewhere. Ultimately that experiment had mixed results, with the endeavor lasting only one season before the team returned into the VMSL fold with players either joining the top group or filtering out elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how this Lupi group progress and how long they can stay together. With the new CAT rules, players can be called up to the Premier team and, if Coquitlam's "A" boys really have taken a step backwards this season they may be looking to get new blood into the squad. Irrespective of whatever factors may have caused the creation of Lupi originally, could the allure of Premier outweigh the draw of playing with friends, etc.? Especially if Lupi don't find themselves promoted at the end of this season (Div. 2 can be very unforgiving when only one team is guaranteed to go up) and spots open up on a rebuilding Wolves Premier side.

For now though, they are certainly a team to be feared in this division and it should be enjoyable to track their progress this season.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why is the website so slow to put up results this season? Any scores to post?

Actually I was noticing that the Excellent Site has been remarkably efficient this season vs. other seasons. Lots of it comes down to referees reporting their scores, but all the results from last night are up there...

username

Jan 26, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done Sea to Sky. Bit of joke that we all play two less games now. Why the hell put a team in? Saves us all a drive to Squamish at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0