Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL Div 2] Predictions, Results & Banter 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frigid_slut

Nov 8, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty bad go of it there last week with the picks, so no need to dwell on it. What should we dwell on instead?

Well - Meraloma has now had two moments on home turf where they've come away with a miss-step -- two weeks ago against Rinos, and again this last weekend against Romania. It's these kind of slip ups that come back and haunt teams late in the season, just ask Shaheen. As much as nobody wants to hear it, based on results alone, NK Hrvat find themselves within 3 points of the lead, and have been playing a consistent game. Hrvat have 3 games now in a row that should be winnable, followed by 2 tilts to end the year against both Metropolitan and Meraloma, so get yer popcorn ready pre-Christmas. At the relegation end of the D2A table, it really isn't that interesting. Both Rinos and Rangers play #1 and #2 in the table this week, but I'm not sure it'll matter as it doesn't seem likely that BCT will do much, having lost 6 in a row and only scored 2 goals in that half dozen games.

Over in 2B, the week is fcukin lit. The relegation side of the table is as interesting as the top. Harps took care of business against GFC winning 2 - 0 and Strathcona didn't slip up against Sarajevo. Locked on 20 points a piece, guess who plays each other this week? You guessed it. 20 points being good enough for tops is the result of Bingers drawing 1 - 1 against Gastown, while Greencaps manage to pull off a draw against Astro. With both of them locked on 3 points a piece, and no wins, guess who plays each other this week? You guessed it. If a draw happens in the Strathcona Harps game, Bingers and GFC could move up too tops, with Serbia, Astro and 13th Legion all one win away jumping up the table to significant places.

Tonight:

In a weird Thursday nighter, Marpole and Juniors square off at 8:10 Pm (huh?) at Musqeam Turf (odd..). It's a bit of a meh game, but while Marpole should be favoured, they seem to have that .500 club DNA in them. Strikes me as a team that is one or two players being away at the Canucks game away from losing and not really caring much. Marpole came up last year from Div 3, likely as a team that would happily go 8 - 5 - 9 in Div 2 every year. Anyway, 3 - 1 Marpole

Friday Night:

Greencaps vs Gastown: There aren't any MOTW's really in 2A, but 2B has two big ones. This is the match you've all been waiting for (and by you all I mean all of Gastown and Greencaps). A 6 pointer this weekend, between 2 winless teams that have played tight games all year. Both teams tend to concede late, but Gastown bumped that trend against Bingers for the first time last weekend. My prediction is that whatever team leads (assuming by 1) at the 50th minute, will go on to lose by 1. 3 - 2 Gastown

Soccer Saturday:

13th Legion v GFC - After a 2-0 loss, GFC won't really get much relief as they come up against 13th Legion. Legion is Serbia kryptonite, and beat the Serbs 4 - 2 on Sunday night. They're now unbeaten in 6. Definitely one of the more boring teams in all of div 2, not to mention one of the most argumentative, this will be a close one laced with calls of "Ref are you serious?!" That being said, I don't think GFC will find a lot of success, and 13th legion love a draw just the most - 2 - 2 Legion (are you serious?!)

Astro v Richmond - This is a ho-hum match of the week probably. The only observation is that both teams have some odd results, with both creating impressive wins, and both losing points to the lower teams. On paper they're exactly the same basically, so this one is a coin toss - 2 - 1 for *coin flip* Astro

Rangers v Hrvat - Hrvat keep plodding along. Rangers aren't as good as they were in years passed, and sit on the relegation bubble. No sense to think Hrvat won't continue by delivering a low scoring win - 2 - 0 Hrvat

Rinos v Metropolitan - Metropolitan, and probably by a lot. Knowing Hrvat is playing a winnable one at the same time will make them deliver. 4 - 1 Metropolitan

Harps v Strathcona - MOTW for all of Div 2. Two top teams at 20 points have a chance to break away from the pack a little by harnessing a dub. Strathcona has gone 6 in a row unbeaten, so Harps will poke and prod their way around looking to break that trend. Finding a hole in Strathcona will be difficult, but word has it Harps are good at finding holes in the opposition. Hopefully the harps D can get to the game in time as I hear a Kancho tournament is also taking place saturday afternoon (look it up) - 2 - 2 draw

Romania vs BCT - No reason to think that BCT won't continue to have troubles, but for the sake of the relegation battle in general it would be exciting to see them get a win. I mean, it'd be exciting but... 3 - 1 Romania

Snipers v Meraloma - This may not be the kind of game Meraloma wants to play after a lackluster performance last weekend, losing points to Romania at home. I'm not actually sure if the precision turf at UBC helps or hurts Meraloma, vs playing at Connaught Park. Either way, this could have a high score line, but I like Meraloma's chances of re-righting the ship - 4 - 3 Loma

Sunday:

Sarajevo vs Bingers; Gotta feel for Sarajevo a bit. This is game 4 of a 5 week run where they play Serbia, GFC, Strathcona, Bingers and Harps. Each team thus far has gone in and shut them out. Bingers will be no different - 2 - 0 Bingers

Twin Arrows v Serbia: Any time the team tied for the most goals comes up against the team that has conceded the most (by a mile) it's probably not a recipe for an upset. Serbia will need to win to keep pace with the pack, and like Bingers, won't mess up. Could be a blow out - 5 - 1 Serbia

There you have it.

Anyone wanna go watch the Marpole game with me? Totally kidding.

:foib:
Grow some balls and predict a winner for the Strathcona Harps game.

username

Jan 26, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whoever the little bald prick who reffed the Snipers v Lomas game is the worst referee in BC. - I think he's called James. 40 yards behind the play at the best of time, threatened to give a penalty because someone who was stood in their own penalty area disagreed with a call and let him know about it( the player used no foul language and the ref genuinely thought that was a rule), let the game get out of hand by not punishing multiple horrific tackles by both teams. The best part was when the ref stopped the game so the trainer could come on to the field to address an injured player - once play resumed, the player was not asked to leave the pitch. When questioned about it, he said something to the tune of " don't worry, I'll do it the same way for both teams". He genuinely doesn't know the rules, and it's concerning. I'd say he'd be more suited to reffing games like Little Flower Academy vs Crofton House, but I wouldn't want to see any of those girls getting hurt and they deserve better.

I'm really fcuking tired of these guys stealing $80 from teams every weekend. The standard of reffing in Div 2 has become substantially worse over the years, and it's starting to become unenjoyable.

Hollywood - if you are reading this, please come back.

Reactions: TC3

vancouverfootball

Mar 13, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty bad go of it there last week with the picks, so no need to dwell on it. What should we dwell on instead?

Well - Meraloma has now had two moments on home turf where they've come away with a miss-step -- two weeks ago against Rinos, and again this last weekend against Romania. It's these kind of slip ups that come back and haunt teams late in the season, just ask Shaheen. As much as nobody wants to hear it, based on results alone, NK Hrvat find themselves within 3 points of the lead, and have been playing a consistent game. Hrvat have 3 games now in a row that should be winnable, followed by 2 tilts to end the year against both Metropolitan and Meraloma, so get yer popcorn ready pre-Christmas. At the relegation end of the D2A table, it really isn't that interesting. Both Rinos and Rangers play #1 and #2 in the table this week, but I'm not sure it'll matter as it doesn't seem likely that BCT will do much, having lost 6 in a row and only scored 2 goals in that half dozen games.

Over in 2B, the week is fcukin lit. The relegation side of the table is as interesting as the top. Harps took care of business against GFC winning 2 - 0 and Strathcona didn't slip up against Sarajevo. Locked on 20 points a piece, guess who plays each other this week? You guessed it. 20 points being good enough for tops is the result of Bingers drawing 1 - 1 against Gastown, while Greencaps manage to pull off a draw against Astro. With both of them locked on 3 points a piece, and no wins, guess who plays each other this week? You guessed it. If a draw happens in the Strathcona Harps game, Bingers and GFC could move up too tops, with Serbia, Astro and 13th Legion all one win away jumping up the table to significant places.

Tonight:

In a weird Thursday nighter, Marpole and Juniors square off at 8:10 Pm (huh?) at Musqeam Turf (odd..). It's a bit of a meh game, but while Marpole should be favoured, they seem to have that .500 club DNA in them. Strikes me as a team that is one or two players being away at the Canucks game away from losing and not really caring much. Marpole came up last year from Div 3, likely as a team that would happily go 8 - 5 - 9 in Div 2 every year. Anyway, 3 - 1 Marpole

Friday Night:

Greencaps vs Gastown: There aren't any MOTW's really in 2A, but 2B has two big ones. This is the match you've all been waiting for (and by you all I mean all of Gastown and Greencaps). A 6 pointer this weekend, between 2 winless teams that have played tight games all year. Both teams tend to concede late, but Gastown bumped that trend against Bingers for the first time last weekend. My prediction is that whatever team leads (assuming by 1) at the 50th minute, will go on to lose by 1. 3 - 2 Gastown

Soccer Saturday:

13th Legion v GFC - After a 2-0 loss, GFC won't really get much relief as they come up against 13th Legion. Legion is Serbia kryptonite, and beat the Serbs 4 - 2 on Sunday night. They're now unbeaten in 6. Definitely one of the more boring teams in all of div 2, not to mention one of the most argumentative, this will be a close one laced with calls of "Ref are you serious?!" That being said, I don't think GFC will find a lot of success, and 13th legion love a draw just the most - 2 - 2 Legion (are you serious?!)

Astro v Richmond - This is a ho-hum match of the week probably. The only observation is that both teams have some odd results, with both creating impressive wins, and both losing points to the lower teams. On paper they're exactly the same basically, so this one is a coin toss - 2 - 1 for *coin flip* Astro

Rangers v Hrvat - Hrvat keep plodding along. Rangers aren't as good as they were in years passed, and sit on the relegation bubble. No sense to think Hrvat won't continue by delivering a low scoring win - 2 - 0 Hrvat

Rinos v Metropolitan - Metropolitan, and probably by a lot. Knowing Hrvat is playing a winnable one at the same time will make them deliver. 4 - 1 Metropolitan

Harps v Strathcona - MOTW for all of Div 2. Two top teams at 20 points have a chance to break away from the pack a little by harnessing a dub. Strathcona has gone 6 in a row unbeaten, so Harps will poke and prod their way around looking to break that trend. Finding a hole in Strathcona will be difficult, but word has it Harps are good at finding holes in the opposition. Hopefully the harps D can get to the game in time as I hear a Kancho tournament is also taking place saturday afternoon (look it up) - 2 - 2 draw

Romania vs BCT - No reason to think that BCT won't continue to have troubles, but for the sake of the relegation battle in general it would be exciting to see them get a win. I mean, it'd be exciting but... 3 - 1 Romania

Snipers v Meraloma - This may not be the kind of game Meraloma wants to play after a lackluster performance last weekend, losing points to Romania at home. I'm not actually sure if the precision turf at UBC helps or hurts Meraloma, vs playing at Connaught Park. Either way, this could have a high score line, but I like Meraloma's chances of re-righting the ship - 4 - 3 Loma

Sunday:

Sarajevo vs Bingers; Gotta feel for Sarajevo a bit. This is game 4 of a 5 week run where they play Serbia, GFC, Strathcona, Bingers and Harps. Each team thus far has gone in and shut them out. Bingers will be no different - 2 - 0 Bingers

Twin Arrows v Serbia: Any time the team tied for the most goals comes up against the team that has conceded the most (by a mile) it's probably not a recipe for an upset. Serbia will need to win to keep pace with the pack, and like Bingers, won't mess up. Could be a blow out - 5 - 1 Serbia

There you have it.

Anyone wanna go watch the Marpole game with me? Totally kidding.

:foib:
Wow 4/12. Your numbers keep dropping week per week. Perhaps you need better fitness going forward or less alcohol while writing these predictions lool. Maybe you should just flip a coin for each match and not apply any logic. This way you will at least be pretty close to 50% ;):rolleyes: JK , keep up the good work

TC3

Sep 11, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow 4/12. Your numbers keep dropping week per week. Perhaps you need better fitness going forward or less alcohol while writing these predictions lool. Maybe you should just flip a coin for each match and not apply any logic. This way you will at least be pretty close to 50% ;):rolleyes: JK , keep up the good work
Definitely agree with the fact that applying logic to Div 2 is a waste of time haha

Lots on the wtf list, including in 2A -> Rangers knocking of Hrvat in a big surprise, and Snipers over Meraloma, albeit with some dubious sounding officiating. In 2B, Sarajevo gets passed Bingers 3 - 1 bumping the slump for them, and with Greencaps losing to Gastown, it's about the worst weekend possible for the guys in green. Oh, and Harps and Strathcona drew as predicted. :asshat:

Roberto-Baggio

Nov 20, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Definitely agree with the fact that applying logic to Div 2 is a waste of time haha

Lots on the wtf list, including in 2A -> Rangers knocking of Hrvat in a big surprise, and Snipers over Meraloma, albeit with some dubious sounding officiating. In 2B, Sarajevo gets passed Bingers 3 - 1 bumping the slump for them, and with Greencaps losing to Gastown, it's about the worst weekend possible for the guys in green. Oh, and Harps and Strathcona drew as predicted. :asshat:

It is always easy to blame the ref when a team doesn’t perform as expected.
If anything Lomas enjoyed the dubious officiating when they were gifted to play with an extra man for more the last 17 minutes of the match ( ref gave a soft and unnecessary second yellow to a Snipers player, forgetting he already had one YC). It probably hurt Lomas a lot losing not only the game but also the possibility to go back to second place while loosing their record of having the best offensive record among all div 2 till the end of week Vmsl # 10. Before playing Snipers FC, Meralomas had managed to scored in all their previous games.
Perhaps trying to run two high quality teams in both div 2 and div 3 for the first time is finally catching up and their deep squad has shrunk having to play on their poor quality home field.

vancouverfootball

Mar 13, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is always easy to blame the ref when a team doesn’t perform as expected.
If anything Lomas enjoyed the dubious officiating when they were gifted to play with an extra man for more the last 17 minutes of the match ( ref gave a soft and unnecessary second yellow to a Snipers player, forgetting he already had one YC). It probably hurt Lomas a lot losing not only the game but also the possibility to go back to second place while loosing their record of having the best offensive record among all div 2 till the end of week Vmsl # 10. Before playing Snipers FC, Meralomas had managed to scored in all their previous games.
Perhaps trying to run two high quality teams in both div 2 and div 3 for the first time is finally catching up and their deep squad has shrunk having to play on their poor quality home field.
Ahahhaha, very good point. Funny thing is only one of the Maraloma minions has posted. Usually they all come in packs like wild dogs posting after a win. You dont see them complaining when multiple times they won games very very late this year, where they did not deserve to win the game. But when they lose they come here blaming the refs, so typical. Finally your style of kick and run catching up to you. 4 weeks in a row now. Go pray maybe you get 2-3 more free kicks or corners in the next game so you can score more then one goal ;)

DerHoots

Mar 8, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
CMF Lobos v Rinos Bull dogs 4-0
Marpole Tropics v NK Hrvat 2-1
Rangers v Meralomas 1-1
Snipers v Apna Tigers 5-0
FC Romania v Shaheen 3-1
Westside Juniors v Metropolitan 2-0

TC3

Sep 11, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aite, a sufficient # of beers and a coin in hand, it's time to do these weeks predictions in rapid fire.

2A begins to spread out a little bit for the first time this year, and with Metropolitan lining up against Juniors at home this week, the other teams will be tasked with keeping the gap to just 5 or 6 back. Over in 2B, the table changes week in and week out. After I didn't 'grow a pair' and stuck with my draw prediction between Harps and Strathcona, it turned out I was right - leaving room for GFC to now take the lead at the top, after Bingers slipped up against Sarajevo. All teams within striking distance of the top of 2B have winnable games against the bottom half of the table this week.

Friday:
Gastown v Richmond: Gastown put their first win of the year on the board against Greencaps, and will look to continue a bit of momentum. Richmond will offer them a winnable test, even though they have come of a string of good results. Prediction: 3 - 2 Gastown

Lobos v Rinos: The Coquitlam drive will strike again here, even tho Milad went out and put up a sombrero against the Lobos last weekend. Rino's will be way way easier, and Lobos will take care of business: 3 - 0 Lobos

Saturday:
Bingers v Greencaps: The Greencaps troubles continue. Bingers, fresh off what they'll feel was an embarrassment to Sarajevo, will be eager to get things corrected. This will be closer than expected - 2 - 1 Bingers
Astro v Serbia: Even if you take the 8 goal winner against Twin Arrows out of Serbia's GF column, they're among some of the highest scoring teams in Div 2. This has allowed them to concede more than the average teams, knowing that they can win a shootout. If Astro can keep it boring, they'll have a chance, as shown by the video from their first matchup. 2 - 2 Draw
Rangers vs Meraloma: Meraloma has been winning some close games. Rangers just went and beat NKHrvat, and I think that they'll be interested in doing more damage to upper table teams. Meraloma have to win what could be a close one just to keep up with Metropolitan and have a chance closer to the holiday break. 2 - 1 Meraloma
Marpole v NKHrvat: Not sure what happened to the Hrvat guys last weekend! Looks like one of the few times where a normally focused team slipped up. If they do it again against Marpole who usually play a stingy game, they could find themselves out of the title race just like that. 2 -1 Hrvat
Harps v Sarajevo - In typical Div 2 fashion, Sarajevo came in and beat Bingers last weekend, putting yet another interesting wrinkle in the standings at the top. It was also a huge win for Sarajevo, giving them real breathing room in the relegation battle. GFC will high five them after Harps and Strathcona drew (as predicted) - 2 - 1 Harps
(*A friendly message from Harps to say happy Movember, and remind you that prostate exams are important. However, you can wait till you're 45 or 50 years old, and it's better to get it done by a doctor, not a Harps centre back, despite what they might tell you.)
Snipers v BCT: BCT have scored 2 goals in their last 8 games and I fear that we might be getting close to forfeit mode for BCT when these away games start to creep up in colder weather. It's one thing to lose close games, but it's another to lose these 6 - 0 and 8 - 0 games. Every year, there are forfeit points given to teams in close battles for meaningful places and it's always kind of a shame. It may not be this weekend, but hopefully BCT keep battling as they're only one result away from finding themselves in a relegation playoff, and not automatically dropped - 4 - 0 Snipers
Romania vs Shaheen: Well, Milad put up a sombrero against Lobos. What's a sombrero? It's a big hat. This is one of those games that we'll all go 'wtf?' to when Romania wins 2 - 1, but I'm expecting it to be more of the Milad show. 5 - 1 Shaheen

Sunday:

Metropolitan v Juniors: It's basically impossible to see any way that Juniors get a result out of this. Before the holiday, I do think that Metropolitan is going to drop points, going up against Lobos away and NK Hrvat who they've already lost to this year. THis week, they'll be all good - 4 - 0 Metropolitan

Twin Arrows v GFC - GFC will be looking at their schedule leading up to the holiday seeing no real reason why they can't go into the break with the lead. But as noted, Twin Arrows did put up 5 against Serbia, albeit conceding 8. Astro beat them in their previous matchup, and Gastown and Greencaps both are playing close games even if they are at the bottom of the table. It's in GFC's hands to make the most of, but starts against a Twin Arrows team that can make upsets happen. - 3 - 2 GFC

Quick comment on officiating, as it's always a hot topic. I've heard from VMSL in the years passed, and through managers of teams, that using the match report tool on vmsl is really an important thing for them. Apparently they actually review them, and good or bad, letting VMSL know what the officiating was like is important to them. Not sure if anything comes from it, but perhaps worthwhile for managers to use *shrug? There are also a number of refs -- the ones that give a shite -- that have said Div 2 should absolutely have linesmen. Given the fact that teams are spending $80 on a ref per game, I'm not sure any teams would object to spending $120 (.. i think it's $120) to have linesmen as well. Can anyone confirm the cost per game with linesmen?

Have a good one lads.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
There are also a number of refs -- the ones that give a shite -- that have said Div 2 should absolutely have linesmen. Given the fact that teams are spending $80 on a ref per game, I'm not sure any teams would object to spending $120 (.. i think it's $120) to have linesmen as well. Can anyone confirm the cost per game with linesmen?

Referee fees for League/Cup games: Premier matches - $90 for the referee and $45 for each assistant referee Division 1 and all other Divisions - $80 for the referee and (where applicable) $40 per assistant referee

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
While Metropolitan is running away in Pool A (6 points cushion separates them from the 2nd place Hrvat and 8 points from 3rd place Shaheen and 4th place Snipers who have a game in hand so they could jump to #2) it seems that Pool B has 6 teams (GFC, Strathcona, Harps, Serbia, Binger’s, and Richmond) competing for a promotion (5 teams within 3 points; 6 teams within 5 points) so every game in this pool will be very interesting until the end of this season.

I saw highlights from Astro – Serbia game and it seems that it was an entertaining game literally from the first until the last minute. Some nice goals by both teams, the goal at the 90th was an absolute beauty, great ball control and footwork:

https://youtu.be/2sWu1ItDc5s

big gk

Oct 28, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
My buddy from the Legion told me that Strathcona played a suspended player under another name. If this is true, I hope that justice is served! Such a jackass move considering that they won 5-0!
so they played Billy Lane who would of been suspneded after the game vs the Harps under a different card?

nobcheesefinger

Sep 30, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
so they played Billy Lane who would of been suspneded after the game vs the Harps under a different card?
I believe so. Following a protest from the Legion team after the final whistle, the referee made his way over to the Strathcona boys to conduct an ID check. But the player in question made a dash for it.

big gk

Oct 28, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Doesn't sound like much evidence will be brought towards the court but if the referee could positively identify that the suspended player played could be a really spicey meatball for the relegation and promotion race.

nobcheesefinger

Sep 30, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Doesn't sound like much evidence will be brought towards the court but if the referee could positively identify that the suspended player played could be a really spicey meatball for the relegation and promotion race.
The real question on everyone's mind - why did @TC3 omit this game from his predictions? Is he psychic? Was it an oversight and pure coincidence? Was it revenge for the 'grow a pair' comment?

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, if the case is proven in the "Court" Strathcona will go from current 24 points (as currently listed on VMSL) down to 18 (3 points awarded to the Legion and additional 3 points deducted from Strathcona).
All that after the game that they easily won [based on the result (5 : 0 Strathcona over Legion)].

8.b. Use of ineligible player
1) First Offence-Penalty: $200 fine, stripped of any points acquired in the game and a further deduction of three (3) points. 3-0 result will be given to the opponent.
2) Second Offence- Penalty: $400 fine, stripped of any points acquired in the game and a further deduction of six (6) points. 3-0 result will be given to the opponent.
3) Third offence- Penalty: the team shall be expelled from the VMSL, and its bond forfeited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts