Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WC 2006 Allstar Team

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
France, Italy dominate World Cup all-star squad

Last Updated Fri Jul 7 12:57:14 EDT 2006

CBC Sports

Forwards Francesco Totti and Luca Toni were among seven Italians named to the 23-man World Cup all-star squad, which also included Zinedine Zidane, Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry of France.
The squad, announced Friday, was selected by FIFA's Technical Study Group.

Three-time champion Italy and 1998 winner France will meet Sunday in Berlin in the World Cup final.

Gianluigi Buffon, Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluca Zambrotta, Andrea Pirlo and Gennaro Gattuso also made the team from Italy, while Lilian Thuram was a fourth French player.

Ze Roberto was the only Brazil player included after the defending champions were knocked out in the quarter-finals following a disappointing tournament.

John Terry, the likely successor to David Beckham as England captain, was the only Englishman selected.

The squad was selected on performances through the second round and was drawn from a shortlist of more than 50 players.

Host Germany, which lost to Italy in the semifinals, had four players on the squad including captain Michael Ballack, striker Miroslav Klose and goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.

Associated Press
John fcuking Terry?!?!? What a joke!

And Jens Lehmann is mince. Ricardo (sp?) of the Pork 'n' Cheese would have been a much better pick.

Nice to see Ze Roberto get the recognition.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
That's what I get for using the CBC as a sports source :rolleyes:

Lehmann isn't even playing tomorrow - Kahn is getting the start.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Lehman played good throughout the tourney, and is a good pick, but there's no way Ballack should be on there. He was invisible most of the tourney.

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The full 23man roster

Goalkeepers: Buffon (Italy), Lehmann (Germany), Ricardo (Portigal)

Defenders: Ayala (Argentina), Terry (England), Thuram (France), Lahm (Germany), Cannavaro (Italy), Zambrotta (Italy), Carvalho (Portugal)

Midfielders: Ze Roberto (Brazil), Vieira (France), Zidane (France), Ballack (Germany), Pirlo (Italy), Gattuso (Italy), Totti (Italy), Figo (Portugal), Maniche (Portugal)

Forwards: Crespo (Argentina), Henry (France), Klose (Germany), Toni (Italy)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballack was pretty close to being a waste of space. Frings was a better midfielder. Also, Lahm would've been a good choice for defender.

Henry wasn't all that spectacular either.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
These guys were ****ing blind. Terry? He was minging in two of England's games. Frings was definitely more useful than Ballack. The usual....."Oh I've heard of him, let's pick him" approach

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
The squad, announced Friday, was selected by FIFA's Technical Study Group
Hmmm, isn't this the group Osiek is in charge of? There's the explanation!

:D

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey, hey, hey, what's this picking on CBC, the quote includes a mention of there being a 23 man roster. There are some people in the Mother Corp that do know soccer -- okay, maybe they are not in the Sports Department...

Lots of good players missing (especially some African and South Americans that could have made the list), lots of mediocre European players included, but I did think that Ballack played pretty well. If he could just learn to block a shot instead of making himself incredibly small...

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Franchise said:
Most Entertaining team...you guessed it Portugal....hey at least they won something:D

Entertaing from all their diving...acting at its best!

Hate to admit it :eek: , but I love watching C Ronaldo...his cheeky passes have me on edge similar to Bure in the early 90's.
Keeps you wanting more.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira said:
These guys were ****ing blind. Terry? He was minging in two of England's games. Frings was definitely more useful than Ballack. The usual....."Oh I've heard of him, let's pick him" approach

Toni, how the **** did he make it. he was about as uselful as Roberts on an open net aginst GN. Totti what a fukcing joke.
Cannavaro (Italy), Zambrotta (Italy), and Buffon were easily the best 3 players in the tourney

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The donkeys at FIFA basically pick the same fcuking guys from the addidas commercial... no thought process at all.

you're telling me Ballack should be there? No chance! How about ommitting Ribery from France... one of the best mids in the tourny. And Terry? Please... he was ass. How about Grosso? How many big plays did he make? And Essien? When you carry Ghana to the knockout stage, against all odds, you can't make the team? I don't like it when they just pick a team from the two finalists... there where many great performances... Torres of Spain was a fcuking menace up front in every game too.

but what do I know... I'm no Sep Blatter :rolleyes:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Germany's Bild magazine asked their readers who they thought the best German player was.

Top 5:
1. Philipp Lahm (Abwehr) 34%
2. Miroslav Klose (Angriff) 21%
3. Torsten Frings (Mittelfeld) 9%
4 .Jens Lehmann (Tor) 7%
5. Lukas Podolski (Angriff) 7%

Attachments

• lahm.jpg
    lahm.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 82

Members online

No members online now.