Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps Roster and Roster Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
rather than having a pile of different threads here and there about players being added to the team I'll just start an ongoing one sticky thread related to the roster (starting today) and as players are signed etc we can discuss it here.

Signed Roster as of today (Feb 9 2011)
GK- Joe Cannon (USA)
GK- Jay Nolly (USA)
DF- Jay Demerit (USA)
DF- Greg Janicki (USA)
DF- Wes Knight (USA)
DF- Alain Rochat (SUI/CAN)
DF- Jonathan Leathers (USA)
MF- Gershon Koffie (GHA)(International Roster Spot)
MF- Nizar Khalfan (TZN)(International Roster Spot)
MF- Phillipe Davies (CAN)
MF- Terry Dunfield (CAN)
MF- Atiba Harris (St Kitts)
MF- Michael Nanchoff (USA)
MF- Shea Salinas (USA)
MF- John Thorrington (USA)
FW- Omar salgado (USA)

In Training Camp:
DF- Mouloud Alkoul (France)
MF- Joe Anderson (CAN)
DF- Santiago Bedoya (USA)
MF- Davide Chiumiento (SUI)
DF- Michael Boxall (NZ)
MF- Jeb Brovsky (USA)
DF- Bilal Duckett (USA)
MF- Bedri Gashi (SUI)
FW- Ridge Mobulu (Congo)
MF- Alexandre Morfaw (Cameroon)
DF- Ryan O'Leary (SCO)
MF- Kyle Porter (CAN)
FW- Cornelius Stewart (St Vincent and Grenadines)
GK- Brian Sylvestre (USA)
FW- Long Tan (China)
MF- Russell Teibert (CAN)
DF/MF- Blake Wagner (USA)
MF- Lennart Hartmann (Germany)

signed Feb 9th, first two international spots being used, Gershon Koffie of Ghana and Nizar Khalfan of Tanzania.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, the British Media have labelled him the "New Chicharito" :rolleyes:

He cannot play till September, as he needs to have special clearance from FIFA to play before he turns 18... due to transfer rules and home country rules etc as he was already registered in the US and Mexico.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I should note that Atiba Harris doesn't take up an "International Spot" although he is not Canadian or American because he holds a Green Card or has permanent residency or whatever in North America... These MLS Roster and Salary Cap rules are VERY hard to understand. Alain Rochat is a Swiss National Team member, but also doesn't take up a roster spot as he was born in Canada and must hold a dual citizenship.

What I can't figure out is why Khalfan and Koffie are internationals, as the rules specify:
INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS
Each team is allotted eight (8) International slots, with the exception of Toronto FC who is allotted 13 International slots, five (5) of which may be used on domestic U.S. players. All International player slots are tradable, therefore a team may have more than or less than eight (8) International players on its roster.

DOMESTIC PLAYERS*
A domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., refugee or asylum status).

* For Toronto FC, players with the legal right to work in Canada are considered domestic players (i.e., Canadian citizen, permanent resident, part of a protected class).

I know these rules have changed recently with the 'Caps coming in this year and the Limp Act entering next year, so perhaps that is why, and they haven't changed the posted rules on their site yet.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Missed the first lines of the page :confused:
* The 2010 roster regulations are still being finalized by the MLS
Competition Committee. The following information pertains to 2009 only and will be updated as soon as possible.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leaving Camp is German Lennart Hartmann and in camp now is an argentine striker named Neri Bandiera who was just trialling with Columbus Crew.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Davide Chiumiento

When are they going to sign this guy? Sounds like he's a helluvan attacking mid.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hartmann was gone 3 days ago. Bandiera is gone now too. I have no clue why Chumiento is not yet (officially) signed.

Rino's scouting staff in Arizona this week saw the Columbus match and reported that Salgado is the real deal.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Caps should ask fourty million for Selgato sell him. Use the money for their own Park or bring A side in to Victoria or Calgary. Residency young talent would have a better level to develop in. Money makes money. Africa has few more good players. Elsalvador also has tonns of talented kids. One trip to Elsalvador and here we go again.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Use the money for their own Park

i don't think money has been the issue on this topic, and i certainly don't think anyone wants to beat this dead horse

but you also are not getting $40m for salgado at this point

and why the hell would we go to africa and el salvador for players when we can get them from our u16 central burnaby silver b teams...

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
USA!
USA!
USA!

If I wanted to watch a bunch of Americans play, I could go to Seattle and cheer on the Sounders with my Stars and Stripes in tow.

How about they rename the league to USALS?

I know people in Tampa Bay watch a bunch of Canadians play for the Lightning for example but are we as a talent pool that weak that our quality young guys don't even get a sniff?
There HAS to be equivalent Canadian players to choose from.

This has been going on too long and Bobby should hang his head in shame.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think we do right now Ranger. I think we will inside the next 5 years, but currently, not a deep enough available tallent pool that can play at the level.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
RF, we don't have our own domestic league. We have been cordially invited to participate in the yanks league, and overall it makes sense because Canada is too vast and sparse a population to have such a league competitive enough to encourage our lads to stay and play vs chase the dream overseas... at least not in a sustainable league...

If you look at our Mens National Team, for the most part all of the players are playing in leagues that are marginally better or marginally worse, in some cases way worse, than MLS. But "it's Europe"

Once the Limp Act and TFC and VWFC have established themselves in MLS I'd bet you see the following:
1. Many young Canadian kids come through their academies and either graduate to MLS or be sold overseas
2. Less teenagers will go overseas to develop, they will stay here, thus making the MNT program easier/more affordable to run to get more games in etc
3. The MANY Canadians playing in MLS could settle into playing for the Canadian MLS teams... (Will Johnson @ RSL, Hainault and Serioux @ Houston, Jazic with Chivas, Jackovic with DCU, Edwards with FCD, Bunburry :( with KC, etc)

wednesday

Jun 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
2 and a half Canadians, artificial turf, and budweiser. I took a pass on season tickets (first time in several years) I'll stick to watching our local amateurs for now. Better beer and lots of goal scorers. Maybe the WC's should send their scout to watch VMSL games rather than Switzerland

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
2 and a half Canadians, artificial turf, and budweiser. I took a pass on season tickets (first time in several years) I'll stick to watching our local amateurs for now. Better beer and lots of goal scorers. Maybe the WC's should send their scout to watch VMSL games rather than Switzerland

Don't all of the VMSL top players play for Poco now. I doubt they scout leagues where Pillons are used as corner flags, game balls are random and more then one kit is a luxury not a necessity.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't all of the VMSL top players play for Poco now. I doubt they scout leagues where Pillons are used as corner flags, game balls are random and more then one kit is a luxury not a necessity.

One of our players is actually training with the caps for the next two weeks. Hopefully he makes the squad.

Ta

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now I really want a refund on my season tickets. What are you guys 3rd or 4th in the second or third best amature league in the provice. I would feel better if they had JTL on trial, atleast he is scoring at will in his league. How many of your players are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0