Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps vs Galaxy 20120718

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sour grapes. Why didn't you get tickets a couple of months ago when there were plenty available or buy a game pack that included the LA game? Still tickets available for Sunday should be a good game against the top team in the league. My ticket cost just over 30 dollars and I sit on the 18 yard box 12 or 13 rows up sounds like pretty good value to me. If someone waited to hear if one aging player was going to play before they were willing to buy a ticket I got no sympathy. It's their event and right or wrong they can run it as they see fit.

My comment does not have anything with Beckham (I could not care less about that guy). I just hate to see how Bobaduzzi is trying to fool all of us. The stadium has 55,000 seats so capping the number at 21,000 and then calling it a sell-out is pathetic. That number of 21,000 does not have anything with "an intimate soccer atmosphere"; it is just a creation of an artificial demand for tickets and unfortunately a lot of Whitecaps fans are OK with that!

Even your $30 tickets are too expensive considering that they should be much, much cheaper if the whole stadium was offered for each game. If your $30 tickets were even cheaper Whitecaps would have a lot more season ticket holders (cheaper tickets are always offered to a season ticket holder, that is perfectly normal but because of a demand for a certain game there has to be room for all interested walk-ins who will eventually pay a lot more than a season ticket holder pays per game). But, when they offer only 21,000 tickets and call it a sell-out then that is just fcuking ridiculous! They could, at least, open fully the lower bowl and they would have last night 27,000 people! But, they decided to keep it at 21,000 so, I guess, those scalpels can make some money.

Based on Bobaduzzi's and Furlong's comments they basically expect all fans to be season ticket holders! Where did they learn their marketing philosophy? I do wonder what the owners of Whitecaps think about that philosophy and missed opportunity to make some serious money last night. I will certainly not become a season ticket holder after realizing what kind of game WC are playing with 21,000 number in a stadium that has 55,000 seats (yes, I will still go and watch some games; did it 3 times this season with the whole family and I will most likely go to see next game vs San Jose but WC lost an opportunity to have me buying 4 season tickets next season and I know at least 10 other people who think the same way I do).

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Through no fault of Keane's. An unbelievable amount of running off the ball....and intelligent running. The service to him was just gash. Had to be frustrating for him.

Couple of thoughts;

Harvey got overrun in the 2nd half and both LA goals came from there. Demerit couldn't pass wind. It's shocking to me that he can't complete a pass unless there's no pressure and he knocks it 20 yards across the park.

No, Keane really was rubbish. Him and Donovan spent more energy arguing with the ref than doing anything productive.

I'm no Harvey fan, but how the hell are you going to put any blame for the first goal on him?

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, Keane really was rubbish. Him and Donovan spent more energy arguing with the ref than doing anything productive.

I'm no Harvey fan, but how the hell are you going to put any blame for the first goal on him?

He's a forward....who needs service. His running off the ball is ridiculous. He didn't get service. When he was on the ball, he looked sharp....he just didn't get it enough. I watched his runs for a span of 5 minutes...showing, getting out, showing, showing deeper...not getting the ball. Did I mention service? Forwards rely on it. He didn't get it.
He did moan a lot but I'm sure the majority of that came from the way the game was playing out. But hey, if you feel that's a player being rubbish, you're probably right....

Harvey; I didn't blame him for anything. Beckham shifted more right in the 2nd half and the other lad was givng him a torrid time. It's not his fault but tactically, LA saw the potential and Vancouver should have adapted better to that. Players have to be responsible for their own game and adjusting as they see the game play out.

To say someone got overran does not say anything was their fault. Just to be clear.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I admit I am too cheap to spend $110 on a single game but I am certainly not as cheap as cascade and feel the price I pay per game is good value, especially in Vancouver. The Whitecaps decided at the beginning of the year that 21000 is their sellout and I don't think they are trying to fool anybody that that is all the stadium can hold just that is were they are comfortable with as a sell out. They have only hit that number once this year against Seattle and it probably will be the same for Portland and Seattle again but most games it is a non issue. To say they can sell more tickets by lowering the price is obvious but this is their price and their capacity and in the end they have to live with their business plan. I don't whine about the cost of Canuck games and the difficulty to get tickets I simply feel it is too expensive for the entertainment and don't go. If the caps get too expensive I'll stop going and watch on tv.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but complaining about a $110 ticket? All those tickets at that cost are usually center field and the best seats in the house (if they aren't and are in the end zones then I am wrong and disagree with the pricing) Has any one ever tried getting a ticket to a canucks game for under $100 per ticket. Let alone one that is center ice or near the ice or even lower bowl? My tickets are right on the corner flag, 4th row. $19.21 a ticket. Fantastic seats.

OK, your tickets for the next game would cost $47.00 + TicketMaster charge (which is additional $7-8). Best seats in the house are $148.00 + TM charges. Are you saying to me that these prices are reasonable considering that 34,000 seats in a stadium with 55,000 seats are not even offered for a sale? The last time I checked such philosophy was called the price gauging. For Galaxy you could only buy a single seat at $110 + TM charge and they had 6,000 seats in the lower bowl covered with the tarp!!!

I watched some soccer games (in Europe) among 90,000 and only 5-6,000 were season ticket holders (yes, in some soccer crazy countries that is perfectly normal and possible). So, 95% were walk-ins. OK, Canada may not be a soccer mad country but still you should build your fan base by offering great prices to a season ticket holder (also, great seats in a stadium that has 55,000 seats) and build up from there. What are Whitecaps doing? They cap the number of seats available to 21,000, create an artificial demand and hope that the number of season ticket holders would increase at their current price structure! That is just ridiculous and I am telling you WC play a very bad game with their supporters and charge them too much.

When you watch Canucks you watch them in Rogers Arena that has 18,422 seats and you watch the best hockey players in the World. There is a huge demand and only 18,422 seats! You can still buy some tickets at the $150 price range (lower bowl).

When you watch Whitecaps you watch a league that is probably equal to Serie B or C in Italy and you periodically watch some older European players whose career is close to the end. So, you are telling me that it is reasonable to pay $47.00 + TM charge for a corner flag seat or $148.00 + TM charge for the best seat!? How can that be reasonable when they even do not offer 34,000 seats for sale!?

It is totally wrong approach by Whitecaps and I am not surprised they lost around 3,000 season ticket holders after the first season.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you can get them to lower the price of my ticket then I'll buy you a beer but not the $9 stella at the stadium. That to me is the real issue and to have the guy carelessly spill a drop while pouring my beer I almost punched him.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Overall, it was a decent game. Some pace on the Whitecaps now......but Robson WAS the man of the match. His heart can never be denied and I hope he continues to improve like he did yesterday. Beckham was invisible....I'm sorry. I will be the first to admit if he has a great game. Taking corners and free-kicks isn't difficult. I was glad to see his goal go in as it put the game over 2.5 goals and with SJ doing the same thing, it was a profitable night. :) I was sitting front row and the seats were impressive. Thank you very much, Elmo, for the game.

San Joooosssssseeeeeeee

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I admit I am too cheap to spend $110 on a single game but I am certainly not as cheap as cascade and feel the price I pay per game is good value, especially in Vancouver. The Whitecaps decided at the beginning of the year that 21000 is their sellout and I don't think they are trying to fool anybody that that is all the stadium can hold just that is were they are comfortable with as a sell out. They have only hit that number once this year against Seattle and it probably will be the same for Portland and Seattle again but most games it is a non issue. To say they can sell more tickets by lowering the price is obvious but this is their price and their capacity and in the end they have to live with their business plan. I don't whine about the cost of Canuck games and the difficulty to get tickets I simply feel it is too expensive for the entertainment and don't go. If the caps get too expensive I'll stop going and watch on tv.

unnecessary

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You guys defending the "intimate atmosphere" bullshit... how can a cavernous concrete bunker built in the early 1980's ever be described as "intimate".... fcuk RIGHT off with that...

the Whitecaps may figure that 20,000 is about as its gonna get in Vancouver for MLS... they may be right, who knows... you would think that they have the marketing geniuses to figure the market out fairly accurately, but with them who knows...

if they could get more people, theyre absolute morons for not doing so. any loss in ticket revenue will be more than offset by the money they take in (or their cut of it) for the 10 dollar premium....ERRRRR.... Stanley Park Lagers sold, not to mention the extra team merchandise sold...

Besides, they've actually been fairly formidable at home this year... some of those extra people might actually come back or... wait for it... become new season's ticket holders!

Da da dadadada da da da da....

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
A lot of whining from a couple ttp'ers who didn't get tickets. I personally think that 21,000 is too low however watching the game in a packed house with no empty sections adds to the atmosphere. There hasn't been a complaint this season from people going about the tarps until now. If the Whitecaps were consistently hitting 21,000 I believe they would start opening up sections, as Seattle does. What price should the Whitecaps charge? Open the upper bowl and charge $10? Suddenly all the $40/$30/$20 sections are empty, empty seats suck out the atmosphere and the club is hemorrhaging money. As a season ticket holder on the 18, I pay $35 per game and find it to be excellent value. Took in a great game last night despite our inability to hold on, and am eagerly looking forward to Sundays match.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, RF......I missed his set pieces. :rolleyes: It is SOOOOOO fcuking difficult to hit a dead ball. People are fooled by him, RF.......not you of course. :D See you on Sunday my big CELTIC brotha......(with a K not a C) :)

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some people have no idea?

Any of you guys that are bitching ever throw an event with over 200 people.
Let alone 21k plus?

It wasnt even guaranteed that Becks was even coming.
You want to watch, line up and pay up, just like any successful event. (concert, hockey, etc)
Why would you throw out $10 tickets for upper bowl. Now you have the cheap drunks up top, who are not even soccer fans being idiots etc. I'd hate to sit below that crowd.

Staffing? Another 7k people is a 25% increase, was staffing prepared for this?
If they opened it up, imagine the line ups for beer then? Now the regular season ticket crowd starts complaining.
Security? A security guard for every 100 heads or so.
Insurance?

There is so much that involves "opening up more seats". I don't think it's as simple as some guys state here. Of course they want to make more money. But lots has to be taken in consideration.

And after the work of promoting Becks, opening up more tickets, Becks says, no. I ain't playing on the turf, imagine the backlash from the fake fans?

I'd hate to see $10 tickets being sold. I don't think you want to invite that crowd to any event. ****, it cost over $15 to get in to any nightclub on Granville.

If your a true fan, you would have bought this ticket a while back. Circled on your calendar.

I wanted to go. It was sold out. Good for the Caps.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well said Lion. If they had sold out a month or more before the game I can see people having and arguement but when tickets are scarce but still available (yes expensive singles) a few days before the game I am sorry you had plenty of time.

I don't buy the arguement about losing season ticket buyers over this. I think they lost season tickets this year because last year you could walk up and get cheaper than face value tickets to all the games and you never had to worry about not being able to get a ticket. Also scalpers took a bath and lost lots of money last year. It is kind of nice to have a little extra value in the season ticket this year. Anyway it shouldn't be an issue until next year when Lord Beckham comes to town.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well said Lion. If they had sold out a month or more before the game I can see people having and arguement but when tickets are scarce but still available (yes expensive singles) a few days before the game I am sorry you had plenty of time.

I don't buy the arguement about losing season ticket buyers over this. I think they lost season tickets this year because last year you could walk up and get cheaper than face value tickets to all the games and you never had to worry about not being able to get a ticket. Also scalpers took a bath and lost lots of money last year. It is kind of nice to have a little extra value in the season ticket this year. Anyway it shouldn't be an issue until next year when Lord Beckham comes to town.

Twice!

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money

Wow! Sold out!!!??? 21,000 seats sold and you (and Whitecaps) say it is a sell-out although there are 34,000 empty seats (some covered with the tarp though)!!!

And, you said, the line up for the beer would be too long if additional 6,000 (full lower bowl) showed up! So, it is all about the beer then? The game is obviously secondary.

Let me tell you something. In a publicly funded stadium (over 560 mil) Whitecaps should not be allowed to artificially create a demand for the tickets and that way keep the ticket prices more expensive then they really should be (considering the capacity of BC Place Stadium). Also, they should not be allowed to limit the access to an event that raises a lot of interest! Why do we even have a stadium with 55,000 seats then?

Also, think about this. A season ticket holder who paid i.e. $20 for his "corner flag seat" will continue paying $20 for the same ticket (or even more) even if Whitecaps lose another 3,000 season ticket holders next season and go under 10,000! Why? Simply, Bobaduzzi will then limit the number of available seats to 14,000 (down from 21,000) to create a demand!!! He will then claim again how he wants to create "an even more intimate soccer atmosphere". It is all about keeping the ticket prices more expensive then they really should be (although some people are perfectly happy with their $19.21 ticket price there are a lot more other people who simply do not want to pay that price initially until they get hooked and they can get hooked only if the season tickets are offered at exceptionally low prices and then if the product is good the prices can go up next year - that is how you build a huge soccer fan base, not the other way around).

How about offering extremely cheap season tickets (and when I say extremely cheap I mean $10, $15, $20, very good seats) to season ticket holders through, let's say, youth soccer clubs in Lower Mainland? How about building a fan base that way? That is how soccer fan base is built around the World; start with the exceptionally cheap tickets and then, based on a success and a demand, go up with the prices.

Man, you have to understand that Whitecaps are geared toward the corporate sponsorship and in that process they will never have true soccer atmosphere at their games (and we can see only a little bit of that atmosphere among Southsiders). In that process Whitecaps' soccer fan will pay a lot more for his tickets because of the corporate sponsors, 21,000 seats limitation, ridiculous story about "an intimate soccer atmosphere" and so on. That is my issue with Whitecaps.

Do Whitecaps have a goal of creating a real soccer atmosphere or a "Canucks like" atmosphere where half people miss half of the game waiting to buy beer and socializing during the game? I think it is obvious, isn't it?

Beside that, when Galaxy is in town (with Beckham of without him), Seattle, Portland, Toronto, Montreal,... that immediately should be a signal for Whitecaps to prepare for bigger attendance than usual and not to wait the very last moment.

At the end, if you do not want to see a soccer fan who would pay only $10 for a ticket (think about a lot of young students who do not have $30 or $110 for a ticket) then it becomes an exclusive club (and I would not have anything against that exclusive club if there is always a capacity crowd of 55,000 but I am totally against it if Bobaduzzi is trying to create it by limiting the number of available seats). With all due respect, that is not how you build a soccer fan base.
No wonder Canada is nowhere near having soccer success with such executives who want to build soccer in Canada the same way hockey has done. Those are two different worlds and for soccer it has to be a completely different approach.

Sorry about the long post; I am over and out!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a publicly owned Stadium yes, and the Caps pay us taxpayers, via PavCo and the BC Govt, via their lease. They have essentially rented it for their events and matchdays and can do and should do what they please. They have nobody to answer to buut their paying customers.

This is not a state owned team, it's a for profit business. How they choose to go about making that profit is their business.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some people have no idea?

Any of you guys that are bitching ever throw an event with over 200 people.
Let alone 21k plus?

It wasnt even guaranteed that Becks was even coming.
You want to watch, line up and pay up, just like any successful event. (concert, hockey, etc)
Why would you throw out $10 tickets for upper bowl. Now you have the cheap drunks up top, who are not even soccer fans being idiots etc. I'd hate to sit below that crowd.

Staffing? Another 7k people is a 25% increase, was staffing prepared for this?
If they opened it up, imagine the line ups for beer then? Now the regular season ticket crowd starts complaining.
Security? A security guard for every 100 heads or so.
Insurance?

There is so much that involves "opening up more seats". I don't think it's as simple as some guys state here. Of course they want to make more money. But lots has to be taken in consideration.

And after the work of promoting Becks, opening up more tickets, Becks says, no. I ain't playing on the turf, imagine the backlash from the fake fans?

I'd hate to see $10 tickets being sold. I don't think you want to invite that crowd to any event. ****, it cost over $15 to get in to any nightclub on Granville.

If your a true fan, you would have bought this ticket a while back. Circled on your calendar.

So your not a true fan, but if u were in charge of the whitecaps the upper bowl would have been open because you run a restaraunt that seats over 200?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow! Sold out!!!??? 21,000 seats sold and you (and Whitecaps) say it is a sell-out although there are 34,000 empty seats (some covered with the tarp though)!!!

And, you said, the line up for the beer would be too long if additional 6,000 (full lower bowl) showed up! So, it is all about the beer then? The game is obviously secondary.

Let me tell you something. In a publicly funded stadium (over 560 mil) Whitecaps should not be allowed to artificially create a demand for the tickets and that way keep the ticket prices more expensive then they really should be (considering the capacity of BC Place Stadium). Also, they should not be allowed to limit the access to an event that raises a lot of interest! Why do we even have a stadium with 55,000 seats then?

Also, think about this. A season ticket holder who paid i.e. $20 for his "corner flag seat" will continue paying $20 for the same ticket (or even more) even if Whitecaps lose another 3,000 season ticket holders next season and go under 10,000! Why? Simply, Bobaduzzi will then limit the number of available seats to 14,000 (down from 21,000) to create a demand!!! He will then claim again how he wants to create "an even more intimate soccer atmosphere". It is all about keeping the ticket prices more expensive then they really should be (although some people are perfectly happy with their $19.21 ticket price there are a lot more other people who simply do not want to pay that price initially until they get hooked and they can get hooked only if the season tickets are offered at exceptionally low prices and then if the product is good the prices can go up next year - that is how you build a huge soccer fan base, not the other way around).

How about offering extremely cheap season tickets (and when I say extremely cheap I mean $10, $15, $20, very good seats) to season ticket holders through, let's say, youth soccer clubs in Lower Mainland? How about building a fan base that way? That is how soccer fan base is built around the World; start with the exceptionally cheap tickets and then, based on a success and a demand, go up with the prices.

Man, you have to understand that Whitecaps are geared toward the corporate sponsorship and in that process they will never have true soccer atmosphere at their games (and we can see only a little bit of that atmosphere among Southsiders). In that process Whitecaps' soccer fan will pay a lot more for his tickets because of the corporate sponsors, 21,000 seats limitation, ridiculous story about "an intimate soccer atmosphere" and so on. That is my issue with Whitecaps.

Do Whitecaps have a goal of creating a real soccer atmosphere or a "Canucks like" atmosphere where half people miss half of the game waiting to buy beer and socializing during the game? I think it is obvious, isn't it?

Beside that, when Galaxy is in town (with Beckham of without him), Seattle, Portland, Toronto, Montreal,... that immediately should be a signal for Whitecaps to prepare for bigger attendance than usual and not to wait the very last moment.

At the end, if you do not want to see a soccer fan who would pay only $10 for a ticket (think about a lot of young students who do not have $30 or $110 for a ticket) then it becomes an exclusive club (and I would not have anything against that exclusive club if there is always a capacity crowd of 55,000 but I am totally against it if Bobaduzzi is trying to create it by limiting the number of available seats). With all due respect, that is not how you build a soccer fan base.
No wonder Canada is nowhere near having soccer success with such executives who want to build soccer in Canada the same way hockey has done. Those are two different worlds and for soccer it has to be a completely different approach.

Sorry about the long post; I am over and out!

Bobby and his intimate soccer settings..

I think he misses Swangard..

Not sure about the rest of you but the use of the words intimate and soccer should not play together...

It Gives me the creeps knowing that i could get seated next to a guy like STD and leave the game with the NO feeling after his wondering hands invade my leg space... I dont want to go to watch a soccer game and leave with herpes thank you

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts