Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why boxing is gone

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just watched a 46 year old Holyfield fight the big Russian dude for the heavy weight championship. Holyfield dominated a very flat footed...non punching Russian for atleast 10 of the 12 rounds. It went to the judges and they gave it to the Russian??? Everyone boo'd including the commentators and due to this I will never watch boxing again. I decided to give boxing another shot. It has become an absolute joke! UFC will dominate for years ahead.

Whitehart

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not gone ... just a transitional period where the Heavyweight division is diabolical... I'm confident that Lennox Lewis could comeback train for 90 days and win the WBC belt again. We have been lucky for quite a few years as the division has been quite entertaining up until this point where all of the good heavyweights are way past their prime...as for the decision against Holyfield... what do you expect ??... give it six months and he'll be fighting for the title again.... that's how bad it is right now.

As for Boxing gone though.... I don't agree, after watch Manny Pacquiao a few weeks ago and with the likes of Ricky Hatton still in the mix I'm sure that Boxing will hang on for another 100 years, even with UFC in strong competition !!

Remember when the sport really was dead and then along came a 19 year old Mike Tyson who K.O.d everybody that stood in front of him ?

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boxing is not gone. Thanks to the UFC Boxing now has to buck up and provide top match ups for belts regularly, and provide an undercard to match. I have already noticed a change in that direction. Just not all promotion companies are willing to give up the cash yet. But they will see the light or go under.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boxing is not gone. But they will see the light or go under.
Make up your mind???:confused: How can a fighter that is "expected" to win a fight due very poorly...be booo'd by everyone in the building ....lose almost every round and still win? I'd say they have alot more to work on then just who's fighting who? Judging has been a joke for years and after what I saw in this fight it hasn't gotten better...it's far worse. It comes down to money and reputation and they already had a winner before this thing even started. They can promote this big Russian as he's almost 7 feet tall and Holyfield would of been an embarrassment to them to be heavy weight champ again at his age period! TOTAL JOKE!!!!

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Imeant the promoters that are trying to make a quick buck will go under if they don't change their way of doing business. You also watched 2 guys fighting for a belt that is considered the second tier.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
UFC has 1 heavy weight title. boxing has what, 37?
boxing has to unify there titles and get there house in order. the sport is still then same. beat the crap out of the other guy. it's the politics and business around that sport that has messed everything up. the holyfield fight was a very good example of the politics behind the scenes. boxing should clean house and start fresh. unify the titles and have one champ. i was never a fan of boxing, but i don't root for it's destruction. it has it's place in the sporting kingdom and so does ufc. ufc isn't all that great either, look at lesner and couture fight. lesner had 3 fights under his belt and he fights for the title.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
was Don King involved???

From BoxingScene.com (written in October):
Valuev is co-promoted by King and German-based Sauerland Event. King is not exactly thrilled with the idea of Valuev fighting Holyfield, because Holyfield is not a King fighter. King would much rather have one of the dozen or so heavyweights in his own stable face Valuev.

So really I'm shocked by the result, but I can't say I'm surprised. I remember the first Lewis vs. Holyfield fight (when Holyfield was a Don King fighter) was somehow scored a draw when Lewis clearly dominated. I guess what goes around comes around.

Whitehart

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if King still Pulled Holyfield's strings..how do you think Holyfield keeps getting title shots..?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, King is not involved with Holyfield. The reason he keeps getting titles shots is because the Heavyweight division is so weak right now.

Whitehart

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe so, but Holyfield keeps getting title shots and he's not even ranked in the top 40 heavyweights right now, It's only because of the PPV demand, if Boxing went back to basics and aired some freebie fight on local networks. i.e. Champion V's No.1 contender or even somebody in the top 10 then the sport would regain some of it's integrity.

George Foreman was exactly the same when he comeback, he had so many title shots for different belts eventually he had to win won.

As for where this debate started with the fight last night, after finally watching it I can't say that Holyfield actually did enough to convincingly win it. i.m.o.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As for where this debate started with the fight last night, after finally watching it I can't say that Holyfield actually did enough to convincingly win it. i.m.o.
Then you should be a judge too as you were the only one that thought this.:confused:

Whitehart

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't get me wrong girth, it was very close and I wanted Holyfield to win. Maybe if he won the last round and landed that left hook at the end it would all be different today...Regardless, it's like they say " If you wanna be the champ, you gotta beat the champ " and he just fell short i.m.o (and two other judges);)

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But it wasn't "very close" ??? I guess their you have it...2 people watched the same fight with 2 different outcomes? Have you thought of getting glasses or contacts? You realize that the guy that gets punched in the face doesn't get points don't you?

Whitehart

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks girth, I wear both contact lenses and glasses which was how I scored the fight 116-112 for Valuev. It wasn't a good fight, not much action and for the last six rounds Holyfield just danced around.... Sure everybody boo'ed the Russian at the decision but they were boo'ing him before he got in the ring. My suggestion is wait until the fight comes on T.S.N, turn the volume down..... taking support from the crowd and pro Holyfield commentators out of the equation and then you can see exactly how he lost the fight.

swampdonkey

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I used to be a big fan of boxing but it hasn't been good for some time. When you've still got guys like James Toney, Roy Jones, Holyfield, Tarver, Maskaev hanging around as relevant fighters you've got a problem. The welterweight division is a decent one but the rest are a bit light. Guys like Jermain Taylor, and Lacey never really developed like some thought and I haven't seen a lot of new young exciting fighters in the higher weight classes as of yet.

I actually saw Golota fight a couple of weeks back...it was shocking. Sad really, a bit like watching an old circus bear.

I do think the UFC is often guilty of bad judging, it's not necesarily exclusive to boxing.

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find the Fighters like Hatton, Mayweather Jr and Pacquiao are more entertaining then the Heavy weights. and I still like boxing better the MMA. Calzaghe is a great fighter aswell. Listening to Jim Rome a few weeks back and he was talking about how the UFC will show a PPV and the under cards are good. and boxing just has the main event. with the under card in Boxing is always shocking, with empty seats, and not much hype. the fights are sometimes good but you've never heard of some of these guys.anyway just my two cents.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find the Fighters like Hatton, Mayweather Jr and Pacquiao are more entertaining then the Heavy weights. and I still like boxing better the MMA. Calzaghe is a great fighter aswell. Listening to Jim Rome a few weeks back and he was talking about how the UFC will show a PPV and the under cards are good. and boxing just has the main event. with the under card in Boxing is always shocking, with empty seats, and not much hype. the fights are sometimes good but you've never heard of some of these guys.anyway just my two cents.

I'd have to agree. Far better bang for your buck with UFC and with the reality show they have, people have an easier time identifying with the fighters and their personalities. Unless you are a true boxing fan, you have a tough time keeping up with who is who, the 17 weight divisions, the various boxing organizations etc. Then you throw in questionable decisions and makes you wonder if you are really watching the WWE.

Unfortunately for boxing, many of the top boxers are nearing retirement or have recently retired, while the heavyweight division continues to showcase those who should retire.

The likelihood of a Mike Tyson-type heavyweight emerging is slim since most thugs nowadays would be attracted to participating in MMA.

Boxing needs to reinvent itself and showcase its best fighters and its up-and-comers to a larger audience (not just PPV), but with the various promoters and organizations wanting their piece of the pie, this won't happen any time soon.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0