Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wickenheiser

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wickenheiser bulges twine
(Feb. 1, 12:36PM EST)

KIRKKONUMMI, Finland -- Hayley Wickenheiser knew it was just a matter of time before she would put the puck in the net.

The Canadian women's hockey star scored her first goal for Kirkkonummi Salamat in a 5-4 loss to Titaanit on Saturday making her the first woman to record a goal in a men's pro league.

Wickenheiser, who has been with the second division men's team in the Finnish Elite League since mid-January, scored in the first period to tie the game 1-1. She also added an assist to bring her point total to a goal and two assists in six games with the team. She was named star of the game.

“I would say it's a relief to get it over with but I would say the last few games I've been getting some chances,” she said. “It would have been better if we won.”
She's a good Canadian kid.

Also a small piece of trivia:
It had been thought Wickenheiser, who helped Canada's women's team to a gold medal at the 2002 Olympics, was making hockey history by becoming the first female position player -- three others have played goalie -- to play with a professional men's team, but a German woman apparently beat her to it in 1998-99. Maren Valenti didn't register a point in 24 games for Freiburg of Germany's second division.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0