Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Freddy Adu make the Man United Squad?

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It'd be great to have him. The boot room needs sweeping up and the tea needs to be made.

He couldn't lace half the reserves boots ..........

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is no way on earth Adu should make that squad. Roberto Carlos schooled him terribly in Seattle this summer. He was toying with the poor lad and this is a diminished Roberto Carlos. The less said about the kid, the better.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would disagree Oranje.
He has gobs of potential. he can get away with his C. Ronaldo wannabe act in North america, but would have to learn to participate in team movements and buildups to make it in Europe...He has the skills to, but he lacks the maturity and mind.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
BlueNoseJohn said:
I would disagree Oranje.
He has gobs of potential. he can get away with his C. Ronaldo wannabe act in North america, but would have to learn to participate in team movements and buildups to make it in Europe...He has the skills to, but he lacks the maturity and mind.

Fair comment, but he has a long way to go. I felt sorry for him watching him in Seattle. I am not sure if it showed up on TV but in person RC just owned Adu.

I think he would do well to go to one of the countries with good acadamies (my bias is to a club team in Holland! -- Spain is good too). The English development system sucks for foreigners. There is a reason a lot of good local kids (i.e. Canadian youths) do well when they go to Holland or Portugal (Hargreaves did very nicely at Bayern Munchen too). We have others, however, who have not done well when the local kids did everything they could to de-rail their efforts.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
i disagree, I was sitting 8 rows up from the touchline for the RM v DC utd game.
Adu made Ecksandarians goal, and he beat RC to do it.

Adu looked like he took too many players on, rather than make the proper play 90% of the time.

You are right about the country of choice though. He would be smart to head to Holland, France, Scotland, or Portugal first for a year or two and then move to a larger EPL club. Unless he does go out on loan to a championship side, or low light EPL side where he can get a run in week after week to improve.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fresh off the press...Man United has just signed Michael Richards as there new manager something tells me Freddy Adu will not be making this team.:rolleyes:

Vinny

Oct 11, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
there are about 4 players on the u20 US mnt that are far far better players than adu. He has a tough enough time cracking the DC first team.. let alone ManUtd. There is no chance he will sign a professional contract at ManUtd ... unless the Glazers have something to do with it.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BlueNoseJohn said:
Giuseppe Rossi is the best American Talent in the stable at the moment, and he belongs to Man Utd.

Agreed. However, he's already laced 'em up for the Italian U-21 team. The Americans face a big problem losing him ........

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
BlueNoseJohn said:
Is Oranje the DC united manager? Nowak must read TTP to shape his media comments.
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=431717&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=Adu+warned+off+United+move

Thanks for the link. Indeed he is reading my mind. I grew up with knowledge of the PSV and Ajax club systems, thus the comment about Freddy. Alas, I think Nowak will be disregarded as trying to keep his player rather than actually recommending the best thing for the kid.

All you have to do is look at what PSV did for a young Romario! 20 years later and he is approaching 1000 professional goals.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a mate that is good player, he is very young, and had some form of an agreement with Gronigen, but lost it due to a nagging injury, or so I am told. But he took off to ply his skill in their top semi pro or Amateur league with an eye to get picked up by an Eridivisie set up.

The Dutch have a real eye on North America. Jonathan De Guzman is a prime example.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oranje said:
I grew up with knowledge of the PSV and Ajax club systems, thus the comment about Freddy. Alas, I think Nowak will be disregarded as trying to keep his player rather than actually recommending the best thing for the kid.

All you have to do is look at what PSV did for a young Romario!

I also recall Sir Alex plucking a not bad goal scorer from PSV in recent memory (he wasn't Korean BTW), actually come to think of it so did Mourinho. PSV certainly has a history of nurturing talent from the Americas.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just saw this on Soccernet.com :

Teenage prodigy Freddy Adu must wait until next June to learn whether Manchester United will try to sign him.

The young United States international has just completed a two-week trial with the Old Trafford outfit, during which time he trained with United's academy team.

Adu's stint with United has captured the attention of soccer observers across the Atlantic.

Although Chelsea had also previously expressed an interest in the 17-year-old, who made the Major Soccer League play-offs with DC United this season, his club coach Peter Nowak believes that if the player is set on furthering his career in Europe he would be better advised moving to Holland.

However, while Adu - the youngest player to be capped by the USA - impressed Ferguson during his time in England, under UK employment legislation, the Red Devils boss cannot even consider whether to offer him a contract until he reaches his 18th birthday on June 2.

'Freddy has done all right,' confirmed Ferguson.

'He is a good talented young boy but there is nothing we can do about him.

'What we did was to bring him here to give him an idea of what United was like so he could see the place and see how comfortable he was with it.

'He is a very confident and talented boy but nothing can be done just yet.

'He will go back to the United States and we will keep a check on him. Then, when he is 18, we will have to assess what we can do next.'

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0