Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Women's Premier 2009/10

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One of the reasons I like the Friday night games is because I remember the crowds back in the day at Mundy 4 when the Wolves would play. In the summer, we used to be able to draw good crowds for Saturday night PCSL women's games. There's no reason it can't be done here as well.

Some people might wonder what the big deal is. But this is the best division in Canada's largest women's soccer league. It should be promoted. For one, getting young players out to watch should attract them to the senior level when they graduate. Second, more exposure might open doors to sponsors and so on (which can't be underestimated in this day and age). And finally, I think most players enjoy playing in front of lots of spectators.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Sunday games at any time because it conflicts with the youth schedules, but it does allow for the double-headers you guys have alluded to, which is definitely a great idea.

Fat bastard, the girls looked good against UBC. It looks like you've added some pace this year which was something you were lacking a little bit last year and that was without any of your college/university players. Well done.

As for Friday/Saturday games, the ONLY reason we did them and will continue to do so is so we are able to give youth players the opportunity to play in the league. We have two teams this year who we will be working with and some of the players will be coming up for the Selects team throughout the season while others will come out for the Premier teams. As mentioned, Sunday games don't work for this reason. Having said that, we do understand that in some cases, field availability is the main issue so there aren't any choices in some cases.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't seen our group once this summer to be honest. Dennis has put together a pretty solid preseason sked, and I hope it will payoff. I'm the first to say games don't count until March, but I think with the new staff and new players, a good start to the season will do wonders for confidence and attitude.

Pace was definitely one of the issues we targeted to improve on in the off season. I hope your observations are accurate. Lack of pace hurt us against you guys in the Cup.

You made comment about Burnaby taking some players. We lost one - Jackie Gant. (They may have signed more from last year's roster, but they weren't key players, and I didn't expect them to return anyhow.) Did you guys lose some? I wonder if NS maybe took a hit, since Holbrook has connections over there.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't seen our group once this summer to be honest. Dennis has put together a pretty solid preseason sked, and I hope it will payoff. I'm the first to say games don't count until March, but I think with the new staff and new players, a good start to the season will do wonders for confidence and attitude.

Pace was definitely one of the issues we targeted to improve on in the off season. I hope your observations are accurate. Lack of pace hurt us against you guys in the Cup.

You made comment about Burnaby taking some players. We lost one - Jackie Gant. (They may have signed more from last year's roster, but they weren't key players, and I didn't expect them to return anyhow.) Did you guys lose some? I wonder if NS maybe took a hit, since Holbrook has connections over there.

We've kind of lost one......but she never played with us last year....Kelly Isberg from UBC. She was signed but never played. There is a possibility of another but I think she will come to her senses and play in Richmond as she is a Richmond girl. ;) For some reason the Whitecaps carrot seems to have been dangled though.......weak sauce but nothing we can do about that.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, didn't you lose more than one player?

Code:
We've kind of lost one......

I heard that ML was training somewhere else and one certain player who was recently married wasn't coming back?

:D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, didn't you lose more than one player?

Code:
We've kind of lost one......

I heard that ML was training somewhere else and one certain player who was recently married wasn't coming back?

:D

I was talking about to the Burnaby team........

yes, Maggie Lang was going to play for Delta but decided to play with Westside. Stacey got married and is not playing soccer this year. Stacey played a lot last year for us and had a good season.

Kelli-Anne McCabe's dad started the Delta Premier team so she is there. Sari has signed...just waiting on Jodi-Ann.....and Dani, our Swedish girl is back again. We will have 4 possibly 5 UBC players coming in earlier this year than last so we might be slight. Our team will probably we as strong as it was at the beginning of the season...perhaps a bit stronger. We'll battle to get some early results which you need to make sure you have a chance of getting to provincials.......I assume only 1 team will not make it this year so that is obviously the goal is to make it....

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Came on TTP to see if there was any MWSL chatter, and there is....good to see the league chatted up, although by only 2 or 3 people. :(
Just to clear up the situation with our Burnaby merger, we weren't planning a premier spot until some girls that live in Burnaby and played for our youth club floated the idea to me. Originally the 3 women's teams that our youth club ran merged with the remaining few Canadians teams in March (side: sad to see them down to 4 teams from a power that had men and women winning national titles, but that's another topic)....we simply planned to create a new 8 team women's club offering all levels of play except premier.
I suggested to our exec that we could only buy or earn promotion to a premier spot and thought about it for next year perhaps, but to my surprise the league has changed those rules and actually allowed 3 new expansion spots this year. So we applied and were accepted. We had two main reasons to gain a premier spot....one was to have a showcase club in Burnaby and show our youth players there is somewhere for them to play. We've already played college games this week with BGSC U18 players joining us so it's working already, and as a youth club TD I'm really happy for that. The second reason was to provide a "home" option for many Burnaby based players that have been playing for NS, Coq, and Surrey the last few years. You guys mentioned Isberg and Gant by name on here, and they came because of a strong connection to our club as youth players and their Burnaby family/friends. 7 of our new premier players played for the "Jazz" youth team that won a bunch of provincial titles 4 to 8 years ago in metro so the club is ecstatic they are "coming home".
Players that left other clubs mainly left because Burnaby was closer for them or because their friends were leaving (don't you love women's soccer for that?). I don't think we poached anyone...we simply laid out what I'd offer in terms of training and coaching, told everyone our goals to be a contending premier team within two years, and a lot of our Burnaby based players did the rest! We signed 5 girls that played for NS last year so unfortunately that did dent their team numbers a bit and might have led to them deciding to put only one team in...but they were already in the middle of firing one coach anyways so we perhaps just helped it along. :)
We did get inquiries from Coquitlam and Surrey players but they stayed with those clubs for historical reasons which is great that those clubs have built those strong connections.
Our club's excited, and I think we can be a contender in year 2. Year 1 we'll be decent but rather young. The Surreys and Coq's of the world will surely outweigh us with experience and maturity on the ball, but we'll give it a go.
Anyways, just wanted to drop in...say hi....and let you fine gents know we're keen to build this division with you guys. I like the fact Richmond made this a league that wasn't only contended for by Surrey and Coquitlam every year (with NS always knocking), so with us and other keeners coming in perhaps in a couple years we could have a league where anyone can win on any given day. Would be nice to see a 10+ team league where 6 or 7 teams are true provincial contenders, that would be great for the women's game.
Mh

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just in, Knaacks.

Richmond 1 Renegades 3

We were down after 10 minutes on an error by our keeper......no big deal. We were down 2 - 0 after 20 minutes but were slowly coming into the game.......switch to a 3 - 5 - 2 in the second half and we took over the game. We played very well and made it 2-1 followed by several fantastic misses......and a couple of great stops by the North Shore keeper. With about 5 minutes to go they scored their 3rd after our defender had a pass intercepted....through ball back of the net.....great finish. I was VERY happy with our second half and to be honest didn't expect any more in the first half since two starters on the backline showed up 15 minutes before the game and consequently started on the side. :( Overall, it showed we hadn't played any preseason games in the first half and like last year, we are bring 5 selects players up every week to make up the numbers. The girls did great though so no excuses on this end. As mentioned, their keeper played very well in the second half.....:) Well done the Renegades and we will get ready for Westside next week.......tough way to start the season....then at home to Surrey United. :eek:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
CMFSC Xtreme - 5
Burnaby - 0

Coquitlam opened in the first two minutes, Standerwick heading home an Oates freekick. Trotman extended lead to 2-0 in the 7th minute. Sheppard made it 3-0 at 15 minutes. Calloway on a header at the 28th minute. KJ closing the account in the 54th minute, to make it a 5-0 final.

Couldn't have asked for a better result. Home opener this Friday against Langley who got a rather rude welcome to premier soccer today courtesy of Surrey.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice win, FB. Burnaby will obviously get stronger as the season goes on....as I hope we do come to November. :) Until then, we'll keep plugging away. ;)

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
CMFSC Xtreme - 5
Burnaby - 0

Coquitlam opened in the first two minutes, Standerwick heading home an Oates freekick. Trotman extended lead to 2-0 in the 7th minute. Sheppard made it 3-0 at 15 minutes. Calloway on a header at the 28th minute. KJ closing the account in the 54th minute, to make it a 5-0 final.

Couldn't have asked for a better result. Home opener this Friday against Langley who got a rather rude welcome to premier soccer today courtesy of Surrey.

FB, that's Callaway with an A, not an O, just in case I score again this season ;). See you on Fri:)!!

knaacks

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Langly had a eye opener intro to the league this morning. S.U. 3-0 at half time with quite a few missed oppertunities including at least 2 breakaways put right into the keepers hands. Second half and we put our possetion game into full effect. Langley started the game with only 10 and got an extra player on at the start of the 2nd half to fill the field. 6 goals in the 2nd 45 sealed the deal, with Langley getting one back to finish 9-1. Qually with a great free kick to pot her brace and Megs with 2. Sharon got the hat trick and singles from Coco and B. We were able to go to the bench in the 2nd half and hardly missed a step. Good first game to shake off some rust and ramp up for the coming trip to Saskatoon. Well done to Coquitlam , unluck Richmond but they will only get better as the season moves along. Any other results from the weekend?

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Morning after and already some good recaps.
Coquitlam could have been a bit nicer to an expansion team than scoring in the 2nd minute :(
But overall not too disheartening as 3 of their goals came off our mistakes, and we hit a post and missed two sitters. They had a few vets I was really impressed with that slowed the game a bit, and even though I would have loved to attack that 40 yards of space that was left open between their flat 4 and their keeper who rarely left the 6, our girls decided on their own that keeping posession amongst our defenders and mids was a better way to play :( oh well, it's a long season.
Going in I sensed we were anxious, nervous, apprehensive...not a good way to play against veteran players.
Delta next week....should be interesting with 2 of the 3 newbies meeting up.
Off to lick some wounds....

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
By the way Captain, are you building/waiting on college players coming? Just curious how many teams have college players waiting in the wings....we tried to go with a balance but when I hear of teams starting their first league game with 10 players (Langley) and bringing up 5 selects (Rmd) I assume others are just waiting until November to really form their team and play? I talked with FB a while ago and he implied Coquitlam didn't like the "load up on college players and wait" approach but I've heard 5 or 6 SFU players are going there....so just curious on everyone's thoughts on building (or not) with college players.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gooner......not necessarily but we do have 4 or 5 UBC players and 2 Langara players coming in. Right now is a great chance to bring up Selects players to give them experience at the Premier level. We will struggle more this year I think at the start of the year because a couple of players will be leaving the country until January. I'm hoping the college/university players start playing right away after their season and don't wait until later in the year because it is difficult at that time to build a cohesive unit.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside spanked North Coquitlam 5-1. Three very lopsided scores this week. First week hiccups? I hope so. I suspect Burnaby will improve with games. They have enough good players to be competitive over the season. Not sure Langley and North Coquitlam will bode as well.

As for Gooner's comments...

We have 16 full-time players signed. We have a number of university players who are with our PCSL team who will give us a pool to draw from for the Cup run if injuries, etc. make that necessary. We don't want to be in a situation where we are undermanned for the Cup.

The reason I don't like to load up on university players is because I tend to go into the season aiming to win provincials. And if we do win, university players won't help at nationals as they usually aren't allowed to go. The CSA has historically been generous with call ups at nats, but it's not a given by any stretch.

(I'm not being cocky, or assuming we will win - just being practical.)

We also don't have a second team to draw from. So we are limited to youth call ups (as our keeper was on Sunday, and again this week), which aren't always feasible depending on schedule. If we had a second team, we might approach things differently. I wish we had a second team. I had really hoped our second premier team from last year would have stayed in the club and filled that void for us.

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good points FB. We went with 16 full time players and have signed 6 university girls, but mainly because I know I will be losing 2 of our full time players in the new year due to "travelling the world" desires. Damn kids and their dreams. :(
I thought the "second Coquitlam" team was told they were wanted by CMF?

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
By the way Captain....our halloween afternoon match was moved to 6pm? Really. halloween. saturday night. something is not right about that. :(

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts