Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

World Cup on line? (and HD discussions)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone know of a site where a guy could watch the games on-line? Or perhaps down load them after the fact? I've gone and retired my VCR haven't I?

Little help?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: World Cup on line?

The official FIFA World Cup site on Yahoo is producing and making available for free hi-lite packages of the games pretty much immediately after each game is played:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/

There is some awesome video stuff on that site already.

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

That's a really good question... hopefully some people with some tech-smarts can help answer it. I have a problem that is kinda related to this question too.

Over the years, I have put together a library of world cup games... I have every game recorded (on VHS) from the 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998 and 2002 world cups. I want to keep recording the games for my collection, but I want to avoid doing it on VHS again (time to go digital I guess :( ). Anyhow, I've thought about getting one of those HD-recordable digital boxes from Shaw, but how do I then transfer them onto a computer to burn onto DVD. An alternative is to buy a DVD recorder, but I'm not sure how much "actual TV time" I can burn onto a single DVD.
Anyhow, if someone knows how best to do this, please let me know. Cheers.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

This would be my advice:

(1) get a TV Tuner "card" for your computer (I recommend the following as it has an MPEG-2 encoder built in: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10057681&catid=20001 )
(2) split your cable so that you can hook it up to the new "card"
(3) use the PVR software that comes with the TV Tuner to record to your computer hard drive
(4) burn DVDs of the recorded games

You'll need to make sure you have plenty of hard drive space, otherwise you'll need to buy a secondary drive.

Cheers,

~Regs.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs said:
This would be my advice:

(1) get a TV Tuner "card" for your computer (I recommend the following as it has an MPEG-2 encoder built in: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10057681&catid=20001 )
(2) split your cable so that you can hook it up to the new "card"
(3) use the PVR software that comes with the TV Tuner to record to your computer hard drive
(4) burn DVDs of the recorded games

You'll need to make sure you have plenty of hard drive space, otherwise you'll need to buy a secondary drive.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Regs, if you can help,
As sage referred to the HDTV PVR, I will ask. Do you know how or a can refer me to a good resource that will explain how to transfer a PVR recording off the hard drive onto a fixed copy?

I have the FA Cup on mine at the moment and have been unable to find a way to get it off, even onto VHS. Not sure if this is because it was a PPV event.

As an aside, for anybody that has spent a couple of grand on a Tv recently, find the coin to get an HDTV box. very, very good. Only soccer I have seen so far was the champs league final, but if the WC is anything like baseball or hockey, as I said, very, very good.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

knvb said:
Does anyone know of a site where a guy could watch the games on-line? Or perhaps down load them after the fact? I've gone and retired my VCR haven't I?

Little help?

Dont re-invent the wheel.

I am assuming you want to watch at work...like me, and dont have a TV.

Why not hook up your home computer with a video camera pointed at your TV ...using MSN or something.

Sounds too simple to be true...but I dont see why it wouldnt work...
albeit , might be illegal.

Zwhomaysoundstupidbutcanbeforgivenaftertheamountofbraincellsdestroyedthisweekend

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sage said:
An alternative is to buy a DVD recorder, but I'm not sure how much "actual TV time" I can burn onto a single DVD.
This is an excellent question. Does anyone have an answer. I don't think I've got enough processing power to deal with the TV tuner card option, so I'd like to give the DVD recorder option a go.

Anyone?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

For the DVR question - if you want to burn DVD quality, you are gonna be limited to about 2 hours... I have no idea regarding lower the quality and burning in real-time.

For Shaw Digital discussions and resources, I recommend this forum: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

I seem to recall that there are some issues in getting recorded PVR stuff off of the Shaw boxes... do a search in the above mentioned forum (and let me know what you find as I am getting a high-def box this week and haven't decided if I am going to go for the PVR model or not).

For those looking for a way to watch their home TV online, check out a product called Slingbox: http://www.slingmedia.com/ very cool product!

Cheers,

~Regs.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs said:
For the DVR question - if you want to burn DVD quality, you are gonna be limited to about 2 hours... I have no idea regarding lower the quality and burning in real-time.

For Shaw Digital discussions and resources, I recommend this forum: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

I seem to recall that there are some issues in getting recorded PVR stuff off of the Shaw boxes... do a search in the above mentioned forum (and let me know what you find as I am getting a high-def box this week and haven't decided if I am going to go for the PVR model or not).

For those looking for a way to watch their home TV online, check out a product called Slingbox: http://www.slingmedia.com/ very cool product!

Cheers,

~Regs.

For the extra $300 the Shaw PVR is worth the money IMO, getting stuff off of it aside. Very simple to use, without manuals for the most part. Has revolutioned my household as no more hitting record on the way out for a program that starts in 3 hours. never mastered my VCR, yet the PVR is as easy as navigating through your PC. The 120GB Drive may be a touch limiting during an event like the WC, but otherwise more than enough.

i went through the whole decision process a month or so ago and to get a decent sized hard drive on a DVD recorder I was looking at $6-700, and the non PVR box at $400 from Shaw. Shaw with PVR is about $700. DVD recorder without a hard drive is much cheaper but far less flexible. Perhaps the PVR with a simple DVD recorder may be the best option, but can't answer yet.

The forums Regs speak of are quite good, just takes a bit to wade through the info. However one word to the wise, most of the negative stuff you will read is very subjective from very picky people. these forums almost had me convinced to leave the whole HDTV universe for another year, but glad I didn't.

interested to hear others opinions.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Gents:

Have weblink for a discussion site that's focussed on pvr's (no, Guinness, that's not Puerto Vallarta); I won't post it unless Regs okays it (I can pm it to interested folks). Been studying this concept for a while to do exactly the same thing....

There are a couple of TV-capture card manufacturers that have allegedly solved the processing issue - signal processing (the part of the operation that usually eats up your computer's resources) is done by a dedicated processor on the add-in card. Most functional version of this is a 2-way card (so you can have video out from your computer to your TV), with a built-in tuner. This way, you can lower your cost for hardware to just the 3 following main components:

1) Video capture/tuner card (get one with a bundled remote) ($160)
2) larger hard drive ($100)
3) DVD burner (with stack of blank disks)($60)

Like Regs says, you will need to get a signal splitter (those of you who use Shaw for internet access already have one) or swap the one you have for a multiple outlet one. In some cases (not mine) you will also need to consider whether you need a cable amp to boost an already-split signal.

The one problem with Shaw digital, TiVO, or some of the other box-based pvrs is that you will either have to develop the memory of an elephant to record the shows you're after, or you go for the subscription plan to program your content (not necessarily always included).

Interface questions: Windows Media Centre? Useable, but not cheap. Cheapest possible solution: go Linux. Red Hat/Fedora can be downloaded for the cost of your sanity and 5 blank cd's, and will support a sweet-looking and functional pvr interface called MythTV (which also comes with its own free programming interface). It also supports the remotes that ship with some of the video capture cards mentioned above.

Another idea I'm currently testing out is the I'Mtv interface - neat idea, but a really limited amount of programming (and not all free). Seems to be looking at two different flavours: streaming video/audio (sort of like InSync) and a bit-torrent version that appears to be a beta product still.

For LFC2:

A lot of PPV broadcasts are encrypted to not permit digital copying. I think this was one of them....

Trece

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Was just put on to Slingbox by a friend living in the UK...very cool!!!

BBC is playing all of the games live on their site but only for UK residents...maybe there's a way to get around that possibly?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Rogers' digital cable clients, for example, can watch games for up to 24 hours after they air using a free on-demand service. If they can't wait until they get home, Rogers' Internet subscribers can watch free highlights on the Web. And for those on the go, Rogers is selling $20 packs of video clips for cellphones, featuring goals and penalties.

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Thanks Regs for the links, but those sites just confused the hell out of me even more. Sounds like if you want to transfer from a PVR to a computer, I would need to buy a card, download a bunch of software cracks, and even then some channels won't allow you to burn.

So maybe I should simplify my question. If I get the PVR, then have it save the games (that parts idiot proof), can I then just burn them directly to a DVD recorder? I mean, play the game back from the PVR like I'm just watching it, then instead of recording it onto a VHS, just record it using a DVD recorder.

As a follow up to that, which DVD recorder would people recommend? Anybody have one, or have experience using one? I've been reading reviews online, and they all seem to have pros and cons, and contradictory opinions. Someone loves it, then the next review says it's the worst thing he's ever purchased!

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

My next suggestion is to just buy a DVD/VCR combo and tape the bloody things to VHS first.

My head hurts.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

What can I say? I'm dedicated to the enjoyment of any fellow TTPer :D

Catch me spreading the news on CBC Radio One this Friday :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet