Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

World Cup on line? (and HD discussions)

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: World Cup on line?

I know I threatened to do this before, and I didn't hear from Regs, so

http://www.byopvr.com/

has information about the how-to for this stuff as well as a translation from geekspeak to english.

Trece

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

As the transmission guy (and because TTP seems to be begging me to post), I should tell you guys to forget about your cable and satellite providers and buy an antenna so that you can enjoy true HDTV content. The cable and satellite providers compress their signals too much, the only way around this is to take it off air. Most of your TV's will not have tuners, but you should be able to find something at Best Buy. And it is free!

Not sure if CTV is running full HDTV for games, but the Stanley Cup finals are brilliant in full HDTV.

Just to make you jealous Trece, leaving next Monday for Germany... see you in July.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Problem is, CTV is only showing the final and the other sports channels available will *never* be available over-the-air. No?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs:

J just wanted to throw a wrench into things because he works for the MotherCorp, and they don't "do" soccer broadcasts.:D What time is your radio broadcast?

J:

You and Hanno are going WHERE?:p

Trece

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

OK, got the HD-PVR model last night and I must say, High-Def is fcuking awesome! Well, at least I was very impressed with the CBC hockey game feed :D

Can't wait to see how the World Cup games look.

lean

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The HDPVR combined with the Pioneer Plasma made that hockey game watchable last night:rolleyes:

I was putting off the purchase of the TV and the PVR until I finished renovating my Fireplace and along comes the Mrsss with the suggestion that I should have the setup for the World Cup. I had been wondering why I married her and then in sentence it all came together:eek:

I hadn't watched many games in High Def before but all I can say is amazing.

Leanitappearsthatyouhavenotposted.......

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I also just had HDTV installed.......I understand true High Def is best viewed on a plasma screen.

The only sports I've seen on HD are NBA, NHL and Nascar (First time I've ever spent more than 30 seconds watching) and its pretty cool. However, did anyone catch the England/Hungary game last week? It was suppose to be on High Def......but I dont think it was. I hope it wasnt. I have a widescreen tv and the match wasn't able to cover the whole screen. Let alone the clarity of the picture was marginal at best.

Sandman

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, I got it all sorted out at last!

I got the HD-PVR from Shaw, I already have an HDTV, and I got a Panasonic DVD recorder. Hooked up the HD-PVR to my TV using an HDMI cable (so you get the best quality picture) and it looks amazing! I have the signal going out to the DVD recorder (from the PVR) using S-video cable... the problems people have with recording to a DVD recorder from a PVR is due to copyrighted stuff... however, the S-video cable bypasses that problem. Although the DVD you burn will not be in HD, the quality is still really high (way better than VHS anyways). So now I ca set my PVR to record a game, then when i'm watching it later I just press record on the DVD recorder and I make the back-up! Oh, and all the movie channels record just fine :p

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sage said:
Ok, I got it all sorted out at last!

I got the HD-PVR from Shaw, I already have an HDTV, and I got a Panasonic DVD recorder. Hooked up the HD-PVR to my TV using an HDMI cable (so you get the best quality picture) and it looks amazing! I have the signal going out to the DVD recorder (from the PVR) using S-video cable... the problems people have with recording to a DVD recorder from a PVR is due to copyrighted stuff... however, the S-video cable bypasses that problem. Although the DVD you burn will not be in HD, the quality is still really high (way better than VHS anyways). So now I ca set my PVR to record a game, then when i'm watching it later I just press record on the DVD recorder and I make the back-up! Oh, and all the movie channels record just fine :p
So where do you live, and how much will you charge per DVD copy? :D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ABC HD is pretty sweet - NBA Finals tonight looked better than the hockey game on CBC HD last night...

Gerry Dobson and Vic Reuter however looked a little spooky in HD tonight :eek: (WC preview show was on)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BBC Streaming All WC Matches LIVE

Watching World Cup streams live over the Internet in North America

It will be interesting to see how BBC will try to limit the streams to only UK users. They might geo-target the audience by checking your IP address and looking up the country associated with it. You might be able to get around this by connecting via a UK-based proxy server. You can search Google for keywords like “anonymous proxy list”, “UK proxy list” etc. and find websites which list proxy servers in different countries. When you find one located in the UK, all you need to do is to modify your browser settings and set you connection to run through such proxy. Note that these public proxy lists might not be accurate and you might need to test several proxies to find one which is actually working and has reasonable speed. Once you find a good proxy, you should be able to connect to BBC website and see the live streams.
There you go. If anyone tries this, let us know if it works out (and the UK proxy server you used).

Cheers,

~Regs.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs said:
What can I say? I'm dedicated to the enjoyment of any fellow TTPer :D

Catch me spreading the news on CBC Radio One this Friday :D

What Dap said.

Can somebody come over and set my new plasma up in HDTV for me? Case of beer and a rib eye steak for your efforts.

Regs: what time this morning, and channel on the dial?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude said:
Regs: what time this morning, and channel on the dial?
At this point, no idea - I think they may have ditched me as they have not given me a time, nor a number to call :confused:

Just as well as I'm up to my eyeballs in setting up a new interface and site for our new PPV client: CFL - exciting stuff as you'll be able to watch Lion games that are locally blacked out :)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: CBC Radio

Well that was certainly anti-climatic :rolleyes: Good plug for the site though :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0