Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

World Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good one

Sir Jinkster,

That is hilarious!!!! :D

As far as the game. Quite disappointing for the Canadian boys. I was hoping they'd win the tourney.

Any comments on the Canadian goalie? I didn't see the game only the Highlites on the news.

Screw You Captain

Nov 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
still number 1

Even if we haven't won the juniors in 4 years and the olympics in the last 84, we remain untouchable in short-track speedskating. Bring on Salt Lake City.

gong show

Nov 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
World Junior's...

Without a doubt my favorite tourney of the year. Those guys give it their all until the final whistle every game. Win lose or draw i will always be a big supporter of our junior nat. team. After watching millionaires complain and whine all year in the NHL the world juniors are a welcome and refreshing change. Playing hockey for the love of the game and for their country is what it is all about....:cool:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
World Jrs!!!

Gongshow:

Agreed that it was and always is - even the fight year in the 80s - a great tourney and that these guys are there to give it their all. That's what makes junior hockey great to watch over the pros- until the playoffs. These guys are working their butts off to get there.

But, don't kid yourself about the purity of the player motives. All the top line guys have agents lined up and a plan to hit the pros. This tourney, if they don't screw it up, can really help a young guy go higher in the draft.

It isn't all about flag, country, etc. For many of these guys, it does become a great experience that way once they are over there, but I'd bet for many it is a step or two forward along the path to the pros who you don't like whining, etc.

The days of the purity of the sport are long gone. In the old days of the Olympic teams of the 60s when they were coached by Father David Bauer and they were UBC students (as that is where they located the team), that was the pure joy of the game.
As only some ever went from there to the pros.

That's why I don't like the current format with pros. To me it should be like the 60s. If you chose the flag and love of country or you wanted it be the step toward the pros, you played for the national team. Now its the pros alone.

If you look at the guys who play for the national soccer team-ours that is, I'd say those guys are more for the love of the game than even our hockey juniors. The hockey guys see "gold" alright, big pro dollars. Only a handful or two of Canada's soccer will ever make a decent living from the game. Those guys do it for the love of the game more than junior hockey guys.

But not to take away from your comments. The tourney is great and this year the games were terrific. Like they say, if Canada and Russia played every day, one team would win one day, the other guys the next. It was exciting but disappointing we didn't win it all.

gong show

Nov 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jr's................

Reccos,

I understand that alot of the juniors use the world championships as showcase to make it to the big's. And i agree that the purity of the game has long been gone and that it is all about the mighty dollar. I guess i just like to belief that at that age they are still playing for all the right reasons although we both know that isn't the way it is in most cases. Wearing the Maple Leaf on your chest should be an honour, and i'm sure it is to the players but i guess the tourney is a stepping stone to the NHL. Just like all other sports today, it is about making it big. As far as the national soccer team goes i think it is similar. If a player lights it up in world cup qualifiying or any other event on the world stage the player is going to get noticed and i'm sure that is just as important to him as playing for his country. Cheers.............:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0