Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yellow Card Amnesty

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Currently the league rules are:
- after you accumulate a 3rd caution you miss a game
- after you accumulate a 5th caution you miss another game
- after you accumulate a 6th or subsequent yellow you go for a discipline hearing

As well, cautions and suspensions from league play carryover to cup play.

As a result of these rules, teams can end up missing their best players from the most important games of the season (Imperial cup games, promotion/relegation playoffs, etc). Is 3 cautions over the course of 18+ games really worthy of a suspension or do you think there should be an amnesty on cautions (i.e. every player's caution count resets to 0) at some point during the season?

The EPL does theirs on Dec 31, which is roughly half way through the season. As well, their rules are more lenient in that an accumulation of 5 cautions results in a one game suspension.

So, should the VMSL have an amnesty on yellow cards? When should it be?

The closest thing to this that I know of in local leagues is that the FVSL counts league and cup cautions/suspensions separately.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm guessing these rules are the way they are, because previous, more lenient rules, didn't deter players who were frequent offenders.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The timing of when the league catches up with you is so random that you can not plan around it. If you accumulate 3 yellows and want to sit a game before say a cup game, you can't. You must wait for the league to contact your team and tell you to send the card in. Is there a mechanism to advise the league that you now have 3 yellows and you would like to sit out now and not later?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The timing of when the league catches up with you is so random that you can not plan around it. If you accumulate 3 yellows and want to sit a game before say a cup game, you can't. You must wait for the league to contact your team and tell you to send the card in. Is there a mechanism to advise the league that you now have 3 yellows and you would like to sit out now and not later?

Bandcamp, it's actually not random. The yellow card suspensions are just delayed one week.

So for example if you got a yellow in each of the first 3 consecutive games of the season (Week 1, 2, and 3) you would not find out until the Monday after Week 4 that you are suspended for Week 5.

I suspect that this system is in place so that the referees have more time to submit their reports, while giving teams the whole week to deliver the player ID card to the league office before the suspension takes place.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will assume they've tightened this up recently then as that has not been our experience in the past...it was typically 3-4 weeks behind.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You might want to factor in that in the EPL, yellow cards and subsequent fines are not nearly the proportionate revenue generators when compared to the VMSL.

Stupdkid

Oct 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unfortunately for me they changed the rules last season so that you do not sit a game heading into provincial cup....instead if you are suspended heading into cup it carries over to the following season......the flip side being that if you receive a suspension in provincials you can only serve it in provincials. I got a three game suspension that could be indefinite depending on how we do in provincials or if we even qualify.........I do agree that the 3 cards is way to harsh.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't happen to agree with 3 cards being too harsh. If you look at the people on the list who are at or approaching possible suspensions, it's generally the same people it normally is - the "repeat offenders." If your players can't compose themselves on the park, either verbally or physically, then they should pay the price.

This isn't the EPL where a win versus a loss may mean a huge loss in revenue for the club or bonus money or whatever. 99% of the players who play in the lower mainland are only playing for recreational purposes and will never play further. Because we all have jobs to go to after the weekend's games, I like the fact that there is a deterrent for people to do something stupid.

And don't tell me that it's impossible to not get cards. I haven't received a card of any kind since 2003, even though I've played against teams that Sid is involved with.:cool:;)

...not sure if that makes me a wuss....

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't happen to agree with 3 cards being too harsh. If you look at the people on the list who are at or approaching possible suspensions, it's generally the same people it normally is - the "repeat offenders." If your players can't compose themselves on the park, either verbally or physically, then they should pay the price.

This isn't the EPL where a win versus a loss may mean a huge loss in revenue for the club or bonus money or whatever. 99% of the players who play in the lower mainland are only playing for recreational purposes and will never play further. Because we all have jobs to go to after the weekend's games, I like the fact that there is a deterrent for people to do something stupid.

And don't tell me that it's impossible to not get cards. I haven't received a card of any kind since 2003, even though I've played against teams that Sid is involved with.:cool:;)

...not sure if that makes me a wuss....

I'll agree w/ this 100%. When the new rules came in, I took notice, and every season since have kept the counts low in order to avoid impact (though I'm sitting on a yapping red now, fcuk...first one of those since I played w/ you FM).

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So dezza, after reading stupidkids post, does splitting cup from league work better? ie: would you rather sit 3 league games and then be able to play in the provincials? or know a year ahead of time that you can't play the first 3 games of provincials?

Stupidkid,
Does knowing you have to sit the next 3 provincial games, whenever that may be, deter you from taking yellows?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FM: yes, and given our cooler now stocks several high end designer beers, this one will be costly.

KNVB: birds of a feather...

Stupdkid

Oct 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
yoda
it definately does not deter me in the leaugue games but it will make me think twice in provincial cup.....especially when playing on the island against island refs

and yes fat monkey that does make you a bit of a wuss

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm of the opinion that Cup is separate from League play. No reset in League play. I can be a "hard" player at times, but very rarely yap at the ref. In the 14 years I've been playing vmsl I've only ever twice hit the 3 card limit. Those who get 5 or 6 cards a year are either dirty or can't keep their yap shut and deserve the medicine the league hands out.

anjin

Sep 21, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think a one game suspension for 3 yellows is fine. Another game for a 5th, not too bad, a 6th and you get a disciplinary hearing, getting a bit harsh now, but fair enough, you're a repeat offender at this stage.

I think the problem is when over the course of a season you could only pick up a yellow here for a professional foul, maybe 10 games later a mistimed tackle, and then 8 games later you don't move a way from a free kick quick enough and all of a sudden you miss the playoff or cup final.

I think a system where if you go 6 games or so without picking up a yellow an existing yellow gets rescinded, this works well in that it keeps repeat offenders accumulating yellows and is forgiving to those of us that only pick up the odd yellow here and there (see above example), and are most likely to take a suspension in the latter crucial stages of the season

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0