Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCSPL - Metro League for U-13 player?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8708
  • Start date

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
it seems like you've done a very good job of researching the various options, and for that I commend you - not every parent does... because of the various hats I wear in youth soccer Im not in a position to give you a "I think you should do this" opinion... that said, in terms of making the team in subsequent years bear in mind that the BCSPL doesnt do the cattle call tryout every season. while that is still done at u13, in subsequent years there is (in theory) year round scouting of MSL (and below), and windows where players can be brought in on trial essentially and then signed or not - usually more training than games, but it varies.

there is certainly movement of players between years (and even phases), but your son is going to have to impress on trial enough that he bumps a player thats been with the team for at least a season... very doable but not easy...

re high school soccer - I've had enough players get run at highschool games and miss time for my squad to say that its a legitimate issue... I'd be interested to hear djones' take on this given his proximity to both... unless he's too busy scheming how to beat us again this weekend.... cheers!

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
RF at the risk of bringing up a senior soccer topic, did you see the WC qualifier in the snow yesterday? :(

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CS: because you have daughters, and BCCGSL did get rid of the bronze level for the younger ones (if only by referring to it as "Silver 2" or "Division 1-7" :rolleyes:) you will be forgiven. However, for the boys, the Gold through Bronze level designations still exist.

The actual ability level of players at said levels of play will of course vary as your mileage does...

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Technically Bronze is now "gone" in District 5 too as they now call them Division 1 (Gold) to ..... 4?? Whichever is bottom is "bronze" anyway.

D

Deleted member 8708

Thanks, mtkb, I will take everything into consideration. I guess if he is last pick for BCSPL, there is a chance he will be bumped off the team in the coming months/years, and if he joins Metro instead, there is a chance he can move up if he performs well enough. Both coaches are good , and the players on both teams, too. SO I guess there is no BAD choice in the end.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the coaching is similar (good) then you gotta go with enjoyment. Playing time = enjoyment (for the most part). Sounds like MSL is the way to go.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure Jonesy is totally fine with the High School soccer based on the fact his son was a big part of his high school team winning the Provincial Championship in November.

As for gold/silver/bronze/pink all that stuff, my apologies if my information is wrong.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
not sure that jonesy is involved for the purpose of winning plastic trophies...

remember its both coaching and competition you need to worry about at MSL...

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesy is fine with it as all, except one, of the high school coaches that I have had to deal with have been excellent in understanding that it is a two way street. Also being a former high school teacher/coach I see the value of having players be apart of their school culture. If the high school coaches are cool with understanding playtime and the fact that they also play a ton of club soccer, I totally recommend it! The coaches both my boys had totally worked with me and were excellent to both my kids! It was a bonus that they both got to win it. The youngest still hasn't taken off his championship ring. Can't buy the experience and the camaraderie that they both have with their school mates.

I've also been a parent of two boys who went through an academy program that was also invaluable to their soccer experiences and successes. Loved being apart of it and owe a huge debt of gratitude and respect for the RTESSE program. The trips to Europe just topped it off.

I'm also a parent that has had boys who went through BCSPL. A great club can make the difference. There are a few great ones out there!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
mtkb...really? Plastic trophies? You do have issues and I'll leave it at that.

Well said, DJ, your kids are very fortunate to have had all the experiences they've had. It's great to be a well-rounded person and player.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
you might, but I wont. kids dont need high-school soccer to become a well-rounded person. i'm sure jonesy is right about the camaraderie and all the other warm and fuzzies, but i still havent heard him say that high-school soccer did anything for his kids' soccer development...

you keep your plastic trophies. i'll focus on helping my club help develop the next (and hopefully better) generation of youth talent in this province...

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
mtkb, which club are you with? I was thinking of transferring to a club with metal or wooden trophies, maybe even pure gold. If your club can offer me these, I would love to offer my services. :rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
you might, but I wont. kids dont need high-school soccer to become a well-rounded person. i'm sure jonesy is right about the camaraderie and all the other warm and fuzzies, but i still havent heard him say that high-school soccer did anything for his kids' soccer development...

you keep your plastic trophies. i'll focus on helping my club help develop the next (and hopefully better) generation of youth talent in this province...

Yes, you've been doing a great job of that. Keep it up. At this rate, we will have a good one come from your club soon. :rolleyes: Well in, Mourinho.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
mtkb, one more thing....based on your posts, you're not used to any success as a player.....or a manager. But of course this is TTP and it's easy to hide behind a moniker. Carry on, Shallow One.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
you're right, I don't come on here and claim to be the reason a particular player got to where he is today... the reference to my playing prowess suggests you think that has some correlation to my abilities as a coach... and I'll just leave it at that.

who I am is an assistant coach who does what his head coach asks of him, and a club chair / board of governor who attends four hour long meetings on a monthly (and volunteer) basis to pitch in as best I can to help create a positive player development environment in this province.

what a shallow prick i am, i am...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Remember, mtkb, I never called you a prick. Just said you were a little shallow. ;) I say a massive KUDOS to you for volunteering all your time because there are a lot of people in the soccer world nowadays won't volunteer their time. All kidding aside, well done for all the time you are putting in to helping players develop.

Now if I can just get you to see there is a place for kids and playing for their high schools. :) It's A LOT more than just 'plastic' trophies. The BANNER is where it's at.

pearsy

Feb 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well said Burnsy, I could not agree with more in regards to high school soccer. The threats and scare tactics in regards to playing time and starting with their club teams make me sick. These players who may be coming to practices a little late are getting "game time" at a very decent level. Games where their decision making is challenged and where average players on their club teams are asked to step up into more of a leadership role. Plus the pressure is off a little more here and they can enjoy the game and their friends without the risk of having a coach scream at them for any and all mistakes. Finally the school connection and the pride felt in competing against other schools and possible club teammates. Injury is possible everywhere no more in a high school game than in a pe class or in a club scrimmage.

The high school leagues are short and the kids want to play no matter what the level. Club coaches should be supporting this not belittling it.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0