Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Golden Ears United and Pitt Meadows Merger

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The BOG is looking closely at this merger as well and will render its opinion shortly....:)

The days of vying for the best playing fields and times between Golden Ears United and Pitt Meadows soccer clubs are soon to be a thing of the past.

The two clubs are amalgamating into one, known as West Coast Auto Group Football Club.

Chris Begg, president of the Pitt Meadows Soccer Club (PMSC), said the merger will happen at the end of the season in April.

Four soccer clubs started up in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows in the 1966-67 season. Three were based in Maple Ridge and one in Pitt Meadows. By 1969, a fifth club - River Road Soccer Club - was added.

According to Begg, over the years the Maple Ridge-based clubs merged together becoming Golden Ears United Soccer Club by the early 1980s.

"Now this will be the last step in the consolidation process," explained Begg.

"All other major sports groups encompass both communities, and the two executives have been working together on a couple of big projects over the past two years," he said.

Those joint projects have included working with the Mission soccer club for the District Select Program, for highlevel teams, and bidding on a B.C. premier league franchise.

"The bid was unsuccessful, but a foundation was built between the two clubs to be able to work together. There was recognition by the two executives that together, we are stronger," said Begg.

Another important aspect to collaboration is when dealing with the Field Users Association, which identifies the needs of all the field users throughout both communities.

"Instead of focussing on what Golden Ears United [Soccer Club] needs or what Pitt Meadows [Soccer Club] needs, we can focus on what soccer needs," he said.

Soccer players make up more than half of all field users, in all sports, combined - winter and summer, Begg explained.

One of the reasons why the organization wanted to have a large sponsor was because they intend to hire a paid club director to handle the day-to-day operations of the 330 teams and 4,200 members collectively.

"It is very exciting and overdue," said Kim Reading, GEUSC vice-president and member of the merger committee.

"We do what we do as volunteers for the kids, this merger is all about the kids. I am very excited to be a part of it and am confident that this will be something amazing," Reading added.

West Coast Auto Group has sponsored GEUSC in a smaller capacity in the past, but now will donate one vehicle each year for the club to raffle.

"Many people don't recognize the scope of the popularity of soccer. As extracurricular sports in schools decrease the demand on community sports increases," Begg said.

On Thursday, Nov. 24 at 2 p.m. West Coast Auto Group Football Club will unveil the new club name and logo at West Coast Nissan, 19625 Lougheed Hwy. in Pitt Meadows.

. Tryouts for next season will be held together in February.

smclaren@mrtimes.com

Read more: Two soccer clubs unite into one

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
GEUSC and DFC (Dewdney Football Club) Merged this year creating NFS. I think the merger is great for the teams invovled as we can finally use the "club system" to our favor now. On the other hand, WCAGFC, is the worst name Ive ever heard of. It will be interesting to see what the sponsors will do for the club and what the mens divisions will get out of this. Wish we had a new name though, shocking.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
GEUSC and DFC (Dewdney Football Club) Merged this year creating NFS. I think the merger is great for the teams invovled as we can finally use the "club system" to our favor now. On the other hand, WCAGFC, is the worst name Ive ever heard of. It will be interesting to see what the sponsors will do for the club and what the mens divisions will get out of this. Wish we had a new name though, shocking.

Hold on Cascade, you have to wait for approval from the soccer gods. :rolleyes:

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At first glance, I found the name horrible, but realistically, is "West Coast" (which is what it's bound to be called) any worse rolling off the tongue than Pitt Meadows or Golden Ears?

My daughter's team would be called the West Coast Wildcats. That name is kinda cool, actually.

At the end of the day, we get some extra funding into the club by going this route, so a big thumbs up from me.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apparently the owners will be donating a new car to give away each year. I agree that West Coast is great but you throw in auto group and it becomes bush. I can't wait to see the jersey's! Maybe a big picture of the Jones family on the front?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You guys dont understand. This is how it goes.

Clubs discuss merger in good faith behind closed doors( as it is no one else's business- kind of like BC Soccer and Whitecaps)
Clubs decide on final details.
Clubs put press release out in Van Sun and on BC Soccer web
Big brother wakes up- "hey no one talked to me"(unless of course Big brother is doing the negotiating- see Whitecaps Parnership)
Merger unwinds

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh my god...hello I'm Chris Hansen from Dateline and you three should not be on a soccer jersey!

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Im not sure anyones ready for us yet.....View attachment 8754

LOL..

I'd rather sit in cape horn traffic and cross the Port man than take a chance of running into that crew of misfits on my way to The golden ears bridge..

WTF has happened to this place?

It used to be that you wanted to make it through Surrey alive.. Nowadays your lucky to be alive by the time you get to Surrey.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0