Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2003 NBA draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Starts at 4pm today. Take a European or home grown talent? Lebron #1 I think so. Seattle seems to be trying to make a splash this draft - I hope.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seattle's still trying to work out the deal w/Toronto to land Chris Bosh. Apparently they'll trade Brent Barry, Vlad Radmanovic and the #14 to Toronto for JYD and the #4.

I think this would benefit both teams as Toronto gets some immediate help and can jump right back into playoff contention. Radmanovic would really emerge playing in the eastern conference. Barry can play 1-3 (although that's stretching it) and would fit in the rotation well with Vince and MoPete.

Seattle would be pretty thin but they'd have Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis and Chris Bosh as a great young nucleus of talent.

Should be a good draft, though.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
About Vince..

Sensai, I don;t know if you read the article in ESPN, basically rated top 10 over rated athletes in pro sports. Vinsanity #1. He better have a good year or he could end up like another former tar heel - Stackhouse. Going through the motions claiming to be soooo goood.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bertrum,

You can add Antwan Jameson to that list of "sooooooooo good" tar heels as well.

Sandmanwhotakesanychancehegetstoslamtarheels

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lebron...

# 1. Too bad he not going to be able to cash in on his talent until after his 3rd year:D

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good one Sandy.

I guess you can add Jay "Ruff Ryder" Williams to the long list of underachieving Dookies who have really made their mark in the NBA: Grant Hill, Trajan Langdon, Cherokee Parks, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and William Avery. They have all added to the Blue Devil mystique that many Duke grads show once they get to the professional ranks.

Anyways, glass houses and all that jazz....how can a Duke supporter even get on another program for producing lame-duck pros? Duke's success rate in the NBA is brutal. I would rather have Vince, Jamison or Stack over all the aforementioned Duke busts. Laettner, Langdon and Parks were all high-to-mid first round picks.....OVERRATED. Then guys like Williams, Hurley and Hill never even get a chance to prove that their overrated, because they end up crippled and get placed in the "coulda'been" category.

Unless Maggette, Brand, Dunleavy (who looked fcuking terrible in his rookie year, by the way) and Battier turn out to be remarkable pros, I'd venture to say that Duke's ability to churn out quality professional basketball players is incredibly overrated.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My dear friend Sensei,

I won't say "wind-up" because I think you're an alright guy, but that was right according to schedule.............I knew I'd get a reaction, it was like clockwork orange........Nonetheless, points well taken but, I still can't stand Carolina.

We won't talk about the merits of the two school's educational standards and the graduation percentage of Coach K's players.

Sandman:D

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Puppetmaster,

You're alright yourself. But I believe there lies some confusion between wind-ups and retorts fueled by complete boredom. If I leave your comments be, then there's little else to speak about, hoopswise. You and the six other people (seven, if you count TheRob piping in with Alaa Abdelnaby) who actually bother to post insights about basketball are the few outlets I can actually share all this useless information and opinion with. Team 1040 won't take my calls. Howard Tsumura is away covering equestrian or womens rugby. Don Taylor is too busy perfecting his Marv Albertian "yussssss.....and it was a gorrrghuss move." In short, I need this. Wind-up to be damned.

As for Abdelnaby...last I read he was playing in France (club team: Antibes) during the 1998 season.

Dhantay Jones just became a Memphis Grizzlie, in case you were curious.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tar Heels

Sensei,

Fair Enough, but I still think the Carolina program is over-rated. If I guy named Michael Jordan never went there it wouldn't get half the accolades it gets these days.

Sure Dean Smith ran a VERY good program with the likes of Air Jordan and James Worthy but I can't believe I am saying this, but who else can can the Tar Heels put on the cover of "Tar Heel GREATS"........Sam "Barkley was picked after me"Perkins, Brad Dougherty, Jeff Lebo, Joe Wolf, JR Reid, Rick"At least he married Vanessa"Fox, Pete "grizzlies" Chilcutt, Vince Carter, Antwan Jameson, Eric Montross, George Lynch, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace..........sorry Sensei..........OVERRATED!

The aforementioned players are NOT great, and if I was a GM, I would NOT build my team around any of them. In fact half of them are a bunch of "head cases". The Tar Heel program has done a decent job of turning alumni into decent NBA journeymen.....that's it.

Lastly, save your Hurley, Ferry, Quinn Snyder retorts........I am not comparing a list of respective alumni in the NBA. I simply want to say that the Tar Heel Program is more Overrated than Jose Theodore

Your neighborhood Puppet master,
Sandman:D

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
50 GREATEST PLAYERS IN NBA HISTORY

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (UCLA)
Nate Archibald (UTEP)
Paul Arizin (Villanova)
Charles Barkley (Auburn)
Rick Barry (Miami-Fla.)
Elgin Baylor (College of Idaho/Seattle)
Dave Bing (Syracuse)
Larry Bird (Indiana State)
Wilt Chamberlain (Kansas)
Bob Cousy (Holy Cross)
Dave Cowens (Florida State)
Billy Cunningham (North Carolina)
Dave DeBusschere (Detroit)
Clyde Drexler (Houston)
Julius Erving (Massachusetts)
Patrick Ewing (Georgetown)
Walt Frazier (Southern Illinois)
George Gervin (Eastern Michigan)
Hal Greer (Marshall)
John Havlicek (Ohio State)
Elvin Hayes (Houston)
Earvin Johnson (Michigan State)
Sam Jones (North Carolina Central)
Michael Jordan (North Carolina)
Jerry Lucas (Ohio State)
Karl Malone (Louisiana Tech)
Moses Malone (Did not attend college)
Pete Maravich (Louisiana State)
Kevin McHale (Minnesota)
George Mikan (DePaul)
Earl Monroe (Winston-Salem State)
Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston)
Shaquille O'Neal (Louisiana State)
Robert Parish (Centenary)
Bob Pettit (Louisiana State)
Scottie Pippen (Central Arkansas)
Willis Reed (Grambling State)
Oscar Robertson (Cincinnati)
David Robinson (Navy)
Bill Russell (San Francisco)
Dolph Schayes (New York University)
Bill Sharman (Southern California)
John Stockton (Gonzaga)
Isiah Thomas (Indiana)
Nate Thurmond (Bowling Green State)
Wes Unseld (Louisville)
Bill Walton (UCLA)
Jerry West (West Virginia)
Lenny Wilkens (Providence)
James Worthy (North Carolina)

soooo.....where are all the Dookies? The only other schools with three players on the top 50 list are LSU and Houston. That's elite company in terms of producing NBA greats.

Rack that.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
NBA?

....i am still bitter about the Jose Theodore blast.......

Who cares what college they went too?

The one or two years they spend in college doesnt do much anyways.....

I dont need to hear, everytime the starting line-up is introduced where a person did two semester's in sociology just so he could qualify to play hoops......

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My deepest apologies.....I forgot about Billy Cunningham. :rolleyes:

The NBA's 50 greatest players is not an indication or barometer of rating college programs. I think even you are brilliant enough to realize that.:rolleyes: Just to paraphrase your brilliant cut and paste job............

-LSU, Houston and UNC have the best college basketball programs........wrong

-LSU, Houston and UNC produce the best NBA players.......wrong. They just happened to produce a few very good players.

All I ever hear is Carolina this, Carolina that.......why? All because of Michael Jordan. Stil a VERY, VERY overated program that is riding the coatails of Air Jordan

Sandman

PS: The Theodore comment was for you Fil:D

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Useless post number 6.

I remember watching the Duke - UNLV final way back in 91? I think? Thomas Hill and Grant Hill together were amazing. Hurley was on fire, and Billy Macaffery was there then wasn't he? Laetner was so good the refs let him travel everytime he touched the ball. Beautiful. In the first 2 minutes of the game Thomas Hill threw a terrible ally oop pass up for Grant Hill. GH went up about 10 ft to catch it and throw it down. Amazing.

Thanks for the update on Alaa Sensei. Where is Thomas Hill these days? I think that one will be a little more challenging.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Rob,

I've got that game on tape if you want to borrow it.

Sandman:cool:

PS: I think Thomas Hill is working on Wall Street..........not sure though

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a good job he went to Duke and got an good education. :D I have the game on tape too BTW. I also have them burning the Wildcats more times than Sensei pulls his Billy Cunningham North Carolina trump card.

Go fish.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who said that list was to gauge which was the better college basketball program? Not me. I posted it simply so the everybody (anybody) could see that three of the 50 Greatest NBA Players were UNC products. Which is exactly three more than Duke has produced. Another couple of names which came through Chapel Hill worth mentioning are George Karl, Larry Brown, Bobby Jones, Bob McAdoo and, unfortunately, Kenny Smith. Christ, even the good coaches come from UNC.

What sets Carolina apart from LSU and Houston are the NCAA Titles (three), one of the greatest college coaches ever (Dean Smith) and a tradition that goes beyond stealing Army's head coach to save your floundering program. That much is clear. The program was strong before Jordan and it'll continue to be strong after Jordan, despite falling on recent hard times.

Duke has as many national titles and a legendary coach of their own, yet it was all accomplished in a relatively short time frame (ie: 1990s, and 2000-2001). Duke's program is nothing without Coach K, and it will go back to being another ordinary ACC program when Coach K calls it quits and Steve "Floorburn" Wojciechowski becomes his replacement. Unless he gives the job to Dawkins instead.

As for Billy Cunningham...you brought the "Carolina Greats" thing up, I didn't. He would clearly be one of the many possibilities to pose as a coverboy, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0