Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 World Hockey Championships

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Steve Tambellini's recruiting campaign is under way for the 2005 World Hockey Championship, with the first calls going out to players who skated with Canada's World Cup-winning team from last September.

Forward Kris Draper and defencemen Scott Hannan, Ed Jovanovski and Wade Redden have reportedly accepted invitations to Team Canada's training camp to prepare for next month's tournament.

Goaltender Roberto Luongo and defenceman Robin Regehr received their invitations on Tuesday, just one day after Tambellini was named Team Canada's general manager.

New Jersey Devils netminder Martin Brodeur has already been contacted, while Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla is expected to announce his decision as early as Wednesday.

Details regarding a pre-World Championship training camp in Calgary are still being worked out. Hockey Canada is working on locations for potential exhibition games in Canada prior to departing for Europe, with details to be announced soon.

Canada will play two pre-competition games in Europe: April 25 in Riga, Latvia vs. Latvia and April 28 in Prague vs. Czech Republic.

Canada has won gold in each of the last two world championships.
Well, lets get hockey back in the TTP Headlines!

Who should make this years team?

How will Tambellini do without the Great One?

He is also stated that he is looking into getting big Bert onto the team...
The Vancouver Province reports that Team Canada general manager Steve Tambellini will investigate the NHL reinstatement application by Todd Bertuzzi with the hope that he will be able to play in the world championship.

"What I want to do is touch base with Todd's agent (Pat Morris) and confirm with Bill Daly and Gary Bettman the fact that we can hopefully get something done toward reinstatement," Tambellini told the Province.

"That would then allow Todd to become a legitimate candidate for a team like this. Todd should be considered, if he's eligible."
Should Todd be able to play? I say yes, and not just because I am a Canucks fan. This has gone on long enough. It is time for hockey to get back on the ice, and out of the courts!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't fcuking wait! As hockey fans, we need this. Badly.

On Bert: he's served his time, and has shown remorse. Yes he needs to deal with Moore on the personal suit level, but it is time to let this guy get back to his career. If he's available to play, damn right he should be on the team.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Bertuzzi were smart, and I am not suggesting he is, he'd lay low until the NHL comes back. There is absolutely no upside to him playing right now, none.

His public statement and doing good and all that for hockey and kids was a brilliant first step in 'rehabbing' his fallen reputation. He should simply spend his time now doing good works until the NHL resumes and lever off that first good public appearance. If he continues to get good legal advice like he had to his video, then I suggest it would be smart not to play but make as many appearances at kids games giving talks as he can between now and that possible trial date.

Yes, the crowd loved him at Brad May and friends, but tell that to the Colorado jury who, if they hear that case, will be shown film of the guy having a good time while the plaintiff, Mr. Moore cannot yet suit up and play.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
TSN.ca Staff said:
3/24/2005

Tom Renney and Craig MacTavish will be named assistant coaches of Canada's world championship, TSN has learned.

Renney, head coach of the New York Rangers, and MacTavish, head coach of the Edmonton Oilers, will work with head coach Marc Habscheid.

Named the eighth coach in team history in 2000, MacTavish has guided the Oilers to a record of 149-132-47 in four seasons behind the Edmonton bench. In each of his seasons as head coach, MacTavish has guided the Oilers to a .500 or better record, winning at least 36 games in each campaign.

Renney was appointed as the Rangers' head coach on February 25, 2004 after beginning the season as an assistant coach. While serving as Head Coach for the final 20 games of the season, Renney led the Rangers to a record of 5-11-0-4.

Renney also served as an assistant coach for the gold medal-winning Team Canada squad at the 2004 IIHF World Hockey Championship in the Czech Republic.
Now, management just needs to convince the players to join...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Renney...this guy baffles me as to why he is still coaching in the NHL. He sucks in the show, full stop. He has a good record in Juniors and Internationally, which may help us, but I have to say I'm a little shocked with that selection.

He must have photos of Messier to have been able to land with the Rangers.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What was that rule that he put in with the Canucks? No booze on flights? That went over well! Gino was not a happy camper! :p

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
TSN.ca said:
Canada's entry for the upcoming World Hockey Championship will be long on international experience. Of the 22 players named to the team on Monday by general manager Steve Tambellini, 19 have represented Canada at previous international tournaments.

In goal, Martin Brodeur will be backed up by Roberto Luongo, Canada's winning goalie for the world championship in 2003 and 2004. The third goalie will be Marty Turco.

On defence, Canadian World Cup members Scott Hannan, Ed Jovanovski, Wade Redden and Robyn Regehr will be joined by Sheldon Souray, Chris Phillips and Dan Boyle.

Edmonton's Ryan Smyth will be joined at forward by Shane Doan, Kris Draper, Simon Gagne, Dany Heatley, Kirk Maltby, Brendan Morrison, Brenden Morrow, Rick Nash, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Mike Fisher.

Canada still has to name one additional player prior to its first game of the tournament on Saturday, April 30th versus Latvia in Innsbruck, Austria.

While the team is missing the likes of Mario Lemieux, Joe Sakic, Chris Pronger and Jarome Iginla, seven of the players named won gold on last year's Canadian squad at the worlds including last year's MVP Dany Heatley.

"We are very pleased to name this group of Canadian players today, and know that each of them is honoured and want to represent Canada with the passion to go for our third straight gold medal and to give back to our game across the country", said Tambellini.

The Canadian team will hold a training camp in Calgary starting April 13th before playing a pair of exhibition games against the United States in Halifax and Quebec City. However, several of the players named on Monday will likely miss the start of camp. Thornton and Nash have just completed their championship season with HC Davos in Switzerland whileSouray is still playing in the Swedish Elite League final. Smyth has been given a few days' off in order to spend time with his wife, who gave birth last week to the couple's second child.

The team will then travel to Europe where they will face Latvia and the Czech Republic in a pair of pre-tournament games.
Well, here is the Team Canada roster.

What do you think? Did they miss anyone that should be on it?

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
i know that iginla's injured, not very sure on the three lightning superstars though. from what i gather tambelini's holding the last roster spot for bertuzzi and trying his best to get betman to lift the suspension(sportsnet last night).

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
richards has been fighting a lower body injury all season, and i believe returned to north america around christmas; st.louis and his wife have had a baby within the last month; not sure about lecavlier, but do remember him turning it down, just not sure if it was injury or not

i hope they can get bert on to the team, it's about time

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see Bertuzzi's spot left open has been filled by Scott Walker?
How is he even considered a close replacement for Bertuzzi?
Or is he just the best of those who said yes.

Scarey. I have my doubts about Canada winning it this year.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada win first pre-tournament game 3-1 over the USA. Brodeur and Turco split time. Walker picks up a sweet empty netter.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada 2-0 in the tournament with wins over latvia (6-4) and Slovenia (8-0 :eek: )
Canada also leading the scoring race.

Next big game will be Thursday against the U Ass of A.

Go Canada Go

PLAYER TEAM GP G A PTS
------------------------- ---- --
RICK NASH -CAN 1 3 1 4
JOE THORNTON -CAN 1 1 2 3
MIKE KNUBLE -USA 1 2 0 2
PATRICK MARLEAU -CAN 1 1 1 2
DANIEL ALFREDSSON -SWE 1 1 1 2
VACLAV PROSPAL -CZE 1 1 1 2
MARIAN GABORIK -SLA 1 1 1 2
BRIAN GIONTA -USA 1 1 1 2
NIKO KAPANEN -FIN 1 1 1 2
PAVEL KUBINA -CZE 1 0 2 2

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yawn.

I got to say I couldn't be less interested in this competition. It amazes me that close to a year of no hockey and it's still makes the front page of every paper and top story of every tv and radio news show. How does Neil MacRae have 3 guests a week on his major at 8.20am, and they are ALL hockey related (2 of which are NHL related)? I know this isn't the NHL, but jeez, reporters and broadcasters all over Canada are tripping over their tongues to be on top of this tournament.

Fcuk, it's going to take a lot to get me back.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well when sports writers only know hockey, you have to find some hockey to report on or your job is toast.

I agree though it's apparently not great hockey to watch. Even the broacasters doing the game on 1040 this morning were saying it was a boring game.
By the way, the only thing more boring than the games themselves, is listening to them on AM radio. Almost fell asleep driving to work this morning.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watched most of Canada's loss today to Sweden.
Jovanovski looked like he hadn't played hockey in years. Made an ass of himself out there.
Canada looked bad today and Brodeur looked average. He couldn't bail them out this time.

I'm curious to see how many people are actually watching this years tournament since NHL has not been on.
Anyone know?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda: Can't argue with you that Jovo looks rusty still but on those two goals in the second period with Jovo diving around, Canada was on very bad line changes -- just to be fair.

Sweden was skating around most of them for long stretches of time. The difference was Sweden were moving but passing and keeping the puck. For the most part, Canada chased the game which is not a way to win.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos, Jovo had terrible position on the forwards when they came into their end.
Even the announcers pointed out, and replayed him being between the boards and the forward ("on the outside"), when they came into thier zone.

Once again today, they looked average and squeaked one out. 2-1 over Ukraine?
Is Nash the only one that's got any heart in this tournament?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0