Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2006 BC Masters Cup - Semifinal Results & Final Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: 2006 BC Masters Cup - Round 2 Results & Semis Predictions

all vmsl final next week...

Firefighters 4 Rangers 1
WFC Westside 3 West Van 1

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Firemen 4 - Rangers 1 in O.T.

Well done Firemen, great win boys.

We pushed hard in Overtime after getting scored on and got punished.

Way to many passengers today and Firemen really battled hard all day long.

Did we have some chances ? Yes.

Did we deserve to win ? I don't think so............

I really thought just before O T we had two really good chances to win it though.

Firemen won a very tough game and Kudos to them for showing the heart they have.

Another good year for us but it is really time for us to re tool and add some needed depth!

I think you will see four or five key changes to our team next season.

Westside really did a number on West Van today? Congrats Peter.

What the hell happened Sir M ? (trust me buddy boy, i know the feeling )

Good luck Firemen and Westside. You both deserve to be there!

Off to Bear Mountain Golf Course Weds for a nice four day Golf Gettaway !

By the way.......Ian Mclean was On Fire Today! Really.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Coach said:
Way to many passengers today and (Westside)really battled hard all day long.

(Westside)won a very tough game and Kudos to them for showing the heart they have.

Another good year for us but it is really time for us to re tool and add some needed depth!

I think you will see (six or eight) key changes to our team next season.

Coach, I have edited your post a bit as you can see to reflect our game. We really played as poor a game as I have seen us play all year, to be frank I am still pretty shocked. Even when we are suspect at the back, we are always very, very dangerous up front, and today, for the 1st time, we were not. The usual Sir M strategy of bringing on Rand between the 30 and 50 min mark, the one that has resulted in 6 goals in the last 2 games, completely backfired, with the in my view best player in BC at this level being sent off with two separate yellows in 12 minutes of playing time. (Sir M seriously biting his tongue at the moment). Having said that, the WFC best players came through, and WVFC's top players did not. Period.

Peter, full marks. It should be a cracker final.

And congrats to VFF by the way

Got to run now, another all night Power Rankings session awaits. Stopping by Las Margueritas first, may need some of the wipes for later.

Stay tuned for the rankings, due out tomorrow.

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Congrats to both Peter and Scottyshell. You guys must have played hard to knock off two very good sides. I know how you feel Sir M. We were also off against Westside but to their credit they played very well. I wish both teams luck in the final. In any case, it will be a VMSL team that wins it all! Three out of four semi finalists...Not bad!

SCK

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Okay...had time to think about the game today.

Coach...hats off to you and your team.
Glad we don't have to play you through the season. I can see why games between Rangers & SU are battles. Yes we got lucky on a few occasions today..unlike last year..both with refs calls and the scoreline.
I would like to know though why you carry a player that only brings down the quaility of your club..#13...does he know he's playing soccer and not rugby,american football or aussie rules?? For a guy to run around looking to take guys out??
Nough said...doesn't make the broken nose feeel any better anyways.
Bailey,Mac,Wilkie..great stuff today. Sorry I couldn't stick around for a few pints..you all deserved them. On to next week...hope we can compete.

Cheers!

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Must admit - #13 is complete bush - and why a forward - if that is what you call him - wears shoe polish under his eyes is beyond me ... in the VMSL guys don't start throwing elbows for no reason - or throw one instead of going for the ball. Rangers were short a few on the bench and with Izatt on and Klassen in midfield it would have been fun. Coach I suggest your first move would be to drop #13 - is his name Avery ? Have no idea why he never got a red. Anyways enough of that - on to next week.
Looking forward to the big game.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Taxman said:
Must admit - #13 is complete bush - and why a forward - if that is what you call him - wears shoe polish under his eyes is beyond me ... in the VMSL guys don't start throwing elbows for no reason - or throw one instead of going for the ball. Rangers were short a few on the bench and with Izatt on and Klassen in midfield it would have been fun. Coach I suggest your first move would be to drop #13 - is his name Avery ? Have no idea why he never got a red. Anyways enough of that - on to next week.
Looking forward to the big game.

They don't do that in the FVSL either. I think this is more of a personal preference than a league trait.

Anyway, the scorelines do not surprise me based on what we have seen. To win any championship, an element of luck seems to be necessary. I wouldn't say Firefighters have been overly lucky but at least they haven't been overly unlucky. Should be a great final. Good luck to both teams.

Scottyshell, if I was a betting man (and I am), I would say this isn't your first broken nose. It'll make you more attractive. Maybe the calender? :D

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Balls:
You lose...it is my first busted snotbox.
The calenda...that's only for the pretty boys...of which I have long grown out of.

Cheers!

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

I heard the Rangers and United were going to merge next year - any truth to that ?

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

WooHooooo!

On to the finals...

RGRMGR

Apr 11, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

Just wanted to say congrats to the VFF for winning the game, yesterday and hope they win the whole thing...well deserved...

Referees, I don't know....no whining,though.

Good Luck in the final, lads.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Coach said:
Firemen 4 - Rangers 1 in O.T.

Well done Firemen, great win boys.

We pushed hard in Overtime after getting scored on and got punished.

Way to many passengers today and Firemen really battled hard all day long.

I really thought just before O T we had two really good chances to win it though.

Firemen won a very tough game and Kudos to them for showing the heart they have.

I think you will see four or five key changes to our team next season.

By the way.......Ian Mclean was On Fire Today! Really.
Unrucky Coach.:(

Guess you'll have to be cheering for the only Surrey team (US!!) at Nationals in October. ;)

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

When and Where are Candian's this year?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

When: Thanksgiving weekend
Where: I *think* Winterpeg.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
For those of you who don't get Fox Sports World, TSN, or Sportsnet Pacific, West, Ontario, or East, do not have access to the FIFA website, read the papers, or are personal friends with Reedie, Thommo, or SMEPR staffer Gerry Dobson, it is a WFC Westside vs. Vancouver Firefighters final at Town Center this Saturday.

After a marathon session with Excellent Rankings staff, and after much heated debate, it is has been decided that, this week, in lieu of Sir M's Excellent Power Rankings , we are introducing the...

Sir M's In Depth Comparison of the Excellent Finalists.

Starting from the back out:

Goaltenders

WFC: Merkl has been on fire during the Provincials, winning 3 games, and giving up but one in the last 2 games.

VFF: Sicoli (my apologies if I spelled it wrong mate) has led his side to a 1st round shutout, and two one goal defeats of the two big Surrey teams. Firefighters depth at this position is questionable.

Edge: Westside.

Defenders

WFC: WFC's defending has been much improved of late, and their aggressive style of play was very effective against a very high powered offence in the semi-final.

VFF: The VFF backline shed a lot of sweat, and blood on Sunday. Their 1st goal against SU came from the back as well. Big Chuck in the middle has had a couple of huge games lately. He did a good job of shutting down big, talented strikers in the semi, a repeat performance on Sunday could win VFF the game.

Edge: VFF

Midfield

WFC: WFC's midfield, as well, has just gotten better during the playoff run. The older Catliff brother played like a man possessed on Sunday, and their midfield won about 90% of the 50-50 balls, and won them the game as a result.

VFF: The same can be said of the VFF midfield, with the Roselund brothers owning the center of the park, save for one slipup that gave Wilkensen an opening where he made no mistake. Extremely intense, did they come out of Sunday healthy?
Edge: Even

Forwards

WFC: John Catliff when on form is almost unstoppable. Al McGrath has been dangerous of late as well. WFC averaging 3 goals a game in this tournament. Where is Mario Baff?

VFF: Frank Fiddler with a hat trick on Sunday, is on fire. Big Marty may have taken a knock. After a season where they struggled to score, they notched 7 in the two games against the Surrey teams.

Edge: WFC

Coaching

At the risk of getting speed bagged by the VFF coach, Sir M is going to give the edge to WFC on this one. Reasons?...Peter is on the sidelines, and Dave is on the field. Plus, of course Peter gave this writer a sip of single malt after Sunday's game.

Edge: WFC

Intangibles:

This game will be a classic East Side vs West Side battle. A tale of two sets of brothers perhaps? It would be even more intense if there was any kind of history between them:p . I believe that, judging by the amount of blood shed by VFF on Sunday, WFC will be fitter. VFF, though, has been this far before, and therefore...

Edge: VFF

This is going to be a very, very tough one to pick. Sir M believs this game will be low scoring, and could be a long, long game. However, Sir M did not rise to the head of the Rankings staff by not being able to pull the trigger..(Dickens, stop).

Sir M's Excellent Predicted BC Masters Champs:

Vancouver Firefighters

Because of the Chuck on JC matchup, and because of the intangibles. (Unless it goes to PKs:eek: ). Good luck to both teams.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well that suits me just fine in that we've been seeded below our competition pretty much every time Sir M publishes these diatribes.

I was just out walking my dog and was thinking about how many times we've faced off against the firemen. I remember the first time like it was yesterday...

1984, Strathcona West: Westside had been promoted to Premiere after a hard battle in 1st division. This was it, the Firemen at the time were the defending League, Imperial and BC Champs. They were chalked full of seasoned vets. Reg Newmark (sp?) and Tinman are two guys that stick out in my head.

We were young, brash, fit...but very green. We had our secret weapon, Pearson in the nets. Trigger is a fireman but that year decided to play with his youthful buddies instead of succumbing to the pressure...Marty E might have been in the nets for the Firemen but I can't remember for sure.

The game gets going and we're actually holding our own. Trigger stood on his head numerous times to keep the shutout alive. Our backup keeper, Jim Bagan, had just got off the plane from Hawaii that morning. He was on the sidelines full of jet fuel (alcohol) and sporting a fine tan.

About 5 minutes from the half, the mixer gets kicked into high gear and the ball comes in to our 18 with a well-staggered wall of firefighters advancing to the intercept point. Out comes Trigger, in comes Newmark...down goes Trigger, blood pouring out of his head, ball in back of net, 1-0.

Off comes the hula shirt and in comes Bagan (Trigger off to hospital for stitches)...the rest was pretty painful but I think it was 7 or 8 bagel at the end of regulation. A fine how-do-you-do! Welcome to Premiere.

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Those were long years ago......

Lots of hurts to cure by Saturday. Hope we can come up with some semblance of a game.

Cheers!

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
At last count only 9 healthy - we may need to forfeit - all this talk of unstoppable, pairs of brothers - imagine if there were three brothers on one team ... lol ;)
Sir M you got Sicoli right - just think of Spicoli and the movie - I hope those tickets keep his palms protected from all those shots from Mr. Unstoppable .... you are missing a few things in your analysis but you will see quite quickly on Saturday.
Peter can you bring us some BandAids as our med kit is empty.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can see why only 9 might have survived, what a game. Tremendous action, some real skill and intense physical stuff out on the field. Sure took everything you had to beat those guys -- they didn't go down easily. But great stuff for the fans. Cheers for the entertainment.

The other game, well I won't comment. We are all trying to forget...

I do remember my first game against the Firefighters though -- my first game in Metro. 1977 and 135 lbs soaking wet. It is a wonder I ever played again, i seem to remember many near death experiences. Went straight to a wedding after and drank heavily to forget (didn't work though, still remember the 3-0 scoreline.)

Good luck to all in the Final.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good luck to both teams tomorrow!

Predictions?

I want to give an analysis of each team like SirM did but in the end I think it can all be summed up in one work: Merkl

Westside in PKs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0