Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2006 BC Mens Cup - Semifinal Results & Final Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Sapperton Dilemma

There is a player on Sapp who is supposed to be the best man at his best friend's wedding the same day (and practically the same time) as the Cup final. He warned his friend back in October about this situation quite possibly happening when his friend was arranging the wedding date. His friend will be really pissed at him (may even stop being his friend) if he misses the wedding.

What should he do? Miss the once-in-a-life-time game or the wedding?

animal

Aug 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PLay the game, His friend will probably get married again. I have already told the wife if we are in nationals she had better hold on to the baby till its over.

Animal

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
whataboutbob said:
The Sapperton Dilemma

There is a player on Sapp who is supposed to be the best man at his best friend's wedding the same day (and practically the same time) as the Cup final. He warned his friend back in October about this situation quite possibly happening when his friend was arranging the wedding date. His friend will be really pissed at him (may even stop being his friend) if he misses the wedding.

What should he do? Miss the once-in-a-life-time game or the wedding?

That's easy. Have your player shag the bride over the next couple of days. That way, the friend will hate him anyway and the wedding will be off. Then try and explain that he just did it so he could play the game and the shag really meant nothing to him.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira said:
That's easy. Have your player shag the bride over the next couple of days. That way, the friend will hate him anyway and the wedding will be off. Then try and explain that he just did it so he could play the game and the shag really meant nothing to him.

Tough one WAB, but I would stay out of it if I were you. I hate to say this but he has to go to the wedding. At the end of the day, this is just a game.

Alikira makes a very good point though. I would add that the whole Sapperton team shags the bride just to make sure.

Hope this has been helpful.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
whataboutbob said:
He warned his friend back in October about this situation quite possibly happening when his friend was arranging the wedding date.

Miss the once-in-a-life-time game or the wedding?

Sapp in the final...predicted back in October...and it's never going to happen again :D

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just a game?

If my mate, pre-warned don't forget, can't understand that the final game to my 10+ months of excruciating time with a bunch of Sapperton wankers along with all the effort and self examination it took to listen to one WAB pre-game speech after another, not to mention the pure commitment it takes to get to arguably the biggest game of my soccer career, such that it is, well then, he’s really no mate of mine at all. The fact is, Balls, the opportunity that sits before said Rover is possibly a chance of a life time. Actually, watching the Rovers play I’d say almost a certainly a chance of a life time.

Lets be honest, we muckers and weekend warriors get so little reward for the dedication and effort we put forth during a season. To me, to miss the big one to watch my mates Grandpa fart and blame it on the flower girl and to see the brides mum weep in the front row of a church that no one will ever be back to after Saturday is incomprehensible to me, though, so is long division, but I digress.

The guys wedding isn’t over at the ceremony. The only part people remember is the reception anyway. Hell, I’d be hard pressed to locate a wedding picture still on display at my house. But can you find a picture of me with a shite eating grin on my face holding the Provincial cup? Around ever other corner. I remember when we won in it in 2003 (I’ll just pick that up, thank you) Joe Deacon, arguably Brad Leatch’s only friend missed his wedding for the final, showed up piss arsed drunk with a medal around his neck happier than he’d ever been at any point in his soccer playing days. (I’m speculating now, but you get the point.)

Play. Show up later.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb,

I disagree. Here's the scenario that could also play out. This "Bestman" does not fulfill his duties at his best friend's wedding, starts the game, and halfway into it, some redheaded wanker two-foots him and breaks his ankle. Now, he gets toted off the pitch, off to emergency, his team loses, and he is left pondering what priorities in life are while waiting on a cot beside some old guy getting a catheter inserted into his urethra.

We had one of our guys contemplate missing his kids baptism several years ago at our BC final versus Columbus. We were short numbers and could really have used him and I recall wisely keeping my opinion to myself, even after he asked me for it. I said "do the risk-benefit analysis and make your conclusions. We saw him after the game. Good choice.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I disagree. With Ballbaby.

10 months of dedication to get to this point, as KNVB said, is what it is all about. If you make the choice not to show up to the game, you are letting down 20 other guys who have also worked to get to this same goal.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah... and if my Aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. The bride and grooms cars could crash on the way to the chappel and the wedding could be cancelled too.

I guess we differ in more than one department other than body hair. I put too much into soccer and my friends know it. It’s a long standing rule nothing gets booked from April 15 to May 15. I missed one of my longest standing mates weddings last year because we were in the semi’s. He understood totally when I suggested I may have to miss it ( I wonder what he’s doing now? ) but I flew down immediately after to be with them. Will it change as I wind down? Probably, but for now quit being a poof. The lads need him.

Here’s the question for you to ask your teammate, why on earth would he (I use this word loosely) “allow” a baptism during cup time? Was Lucifer on his way and it had to be done before the wee’n was damned for life? (It’s not so bad. A few small life adjustments and it hardly stings at all) What’s a week amongst a realign that preaches forgiveness?

Anyone listen to Reed and Thomo last night? I was surprised by the confidence coming from the Firemen camp. "It's ours to lose" said Dan Kirencic. Wow! That's bold in my opinion for a team that finished 6-6-7 this year. He smacked of they should be there / we're not surprised at all by this. They’re on a hell of a roll no doubt and frankly I like the attitude but a smidgeon of humility might be nice.

Ala Regs ~Discuss

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
You wouldn't know that the Provincial finals are coming up by looking at the BCSA website. They have notices on their front page for an upcoming youth tournament and a U20 exhibition game, but nothing on the front page about this weekends finals.
Its up to this site to promote the games.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby said:
Tough one WAB, but I would stay out of it if I were you. I hate to say this but he has to go to the wedding. At the end of the day, this is just a game.

Alikira makes a very good point though. I would add that the whole Sapperton team shags the bride just to make sure.

Hope this has been helpful.
I am in

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby said:
knvb,

I disagree. Here's the scenario that could also play out. This "Bestman" does not fulfill his duties at his best friend's wedding, starts the game, and halfway into it, some redheaded wanker two-foots him and breaks his ankle. Now, he gets toted off the pitch, off to emergency, his team loses, and he is left pondering what priorities in life are while waiting on a cot beside some old guy getting a catheter inserted into his urethra.

We had one of our guys contemplate missing his kids baptism several years ago at our BC final versus Columbus. We were short numbers and could really have used him and I recall wisely keeping my opinion to myself, even after he asked me for it. I said "do the risk-benefit analysis and make your conclusions. We saw him after the game. Good choice.
would the red heeded wanker be Sully OR besty?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
whataboutbob said:
The Sapperton Dilemma?

Coach, we won't be able to make the game on Sunday, we forgot that it was Mothers Day, big brunch at Newlands and then afternoon tea, sorry WAB.
The Sap Team

Why bother with the wedding, 1 out of 3 end in divorce any way, Sap doesn't have those kind of odds for getting back to the finals.

Hope that you can get Brian on the bench for the final or perhaps even in for the last 5 or so, tough luck breaking a leg during the season, one guy that truely deserves to be playing this Sunday.

Good luck to both.

hos

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Four VMSL teams qualified for the Provincial Cup finals this past weekend while 2 others—both in the Under 21 Division—were sent packing with narrow and heart-breaking losses to Vancouver Island teams. The ‘A’ Cup and the Under 21 Cup semi-finals were held in Victoria, while the Masters’ Division semis took place at Kinsman Stadium in North Vancouver. All 3 finals will be played on Saturday, May 13 at Town Centre Stadium in Coquitlam and will feature the following teams: In the ‘A’ final, the Sapperton Rovers will face the Vancouver Firefighters; in the Masters’ Division final, the Firemen will once again be represented as they will take on WFC Westside; the Under 21 Cup final, on the other hand, will be an all-Victoria affair with Gordon Head and Bays United squaring off.

On Sunday, at Royal Athletic Park in Victoria, the Sapperton Rovers continued to impress by defeating Columbus-Clan FC by a 2-1 margin after a very hard-fought and exciting 90 minutes of play. With the wind at their backs, the Rovers took control of the match in the early going and came close to taking the lead when Colin Phillips sent Trevor Todd in all alone on a clear-cut breakaway. Columbus goalkeeper, Luca Dalla Pace, stood his ground and prevented Todd from giving his team the early lead. Soon thereafter, Jeff Rogers ripped a shot from well outside the penalty area just over the bar with Dalla Pace seemingly beaten. At his point, Columbus started to generate some offence of its own and created a few goal-scoring opportunities, mostly on counter-attacks. Late in the first half, however, Sapperton capitalized on two bizarre and uncharacteristic blunders by Dalla Pace to go into the dressing room with a 2-0 lead. The first goal came as Dalla Pace unsuccessfully tried to control the ball with his feet. Subsequently, he was stripped of the ball by an onrushing Trevor Todd, who then proceeded to place the ball into the empty net. The second goal was even more bizarre as Sapperton goalkeeper Cory Breure cleared a back pass from Jeff Rogers from within his penalty area. Aided and abetted by the vicious wind, the ball sailed to the edge of the Columbus penalty area, took a weird bounce and sailed over Dalla Pace’s head for what proved to be the winning goal. It is not often that we see a goalkeeper score a goal, particularly with a clearing shot from inside his penalty box! In the second half, Columbus tried desperately to get back into the match, but was thwarted by some excellent defending on the part of Jeff Rogers, Ed Bradford, Kent Waechter, and Mike Araszewski. As Columbus kept pushing forward, however, the Rovers responded with some excellent counter-attacks that almost materialized into their third goal. In particular, Trevor Todd and Kevin Hearne came very close to putting the game out of Columbus’ reach but were stopped by some brilliant saves by Luca Dalla Pace. With only a handful of minutes remaining in the match, Columbus defender Bernd Schwericke narrowed the margin by scoring on a goal-mouth scramble. But, as the saying goes, it was too little, too late for a very disappointed Columbus squad.

The second match of the day featured the upstart Vancouver Firefighters and the heavily-favoured Vancouver Island champions, Victoria Gorge. The underdog Firemen continued their amazing run by winning their third consecutive game against opposition that was reputedly stronger. The Firefighters had squeaked by the Metro-Ford Wolves and Surrey United in their earlier matches, scoring only once in 240 minutes of play. However, against Gorge the Firemen scored almost at will and came away with a well-deserved 5-1 victory. Playing against the heavy wind in the first half, the Firemen gave up an early goal despite the fact they controlled most of the action. The second half, however, proved to be no contest as the Vancouver team dominated proceedings from the very beginning. Philip Lensky restored parity early in the second half when he beat a couple of Victoria defenders before clinically depositing the ball into the net. Soon thereafter, Chris Jarvie took advantage of a defensive miscue to score what proved to be the winning goal. The Firefighters continued to exert a lot of pressure on the Gorge defence and were once again rewarded when Bob Anderson dribbled past 3 defenders before placing an immaculate cross into the box. Chris Franks finished it off with a magnificent flying header that could easily qualify as the “Goal of the Year”. At this point Gorge started pushing forward in search of a goal. The Firemen capitalized on Gorge’s rather careless attacks and scored twice more on lethal counter-attacks. Chris Jarvie and Philip Lensky put the icing on the Firefighters’ cake with 2 late goals that magnified the superiority of the VMSL team. As usual, Jeff Skinner was a going concern throughout the contest in his midfield position, leading the way with skill, determination, and enormous leadership qualities. The Firemen will now face the Sapperton Rovers in the final, a final that promises to be very exciting and entertaining. The match is scheduled for Saturday, May 13 at 3:00 p.m. at Town Centre Stadium in Coquitlam. It will be preceded by the Masters’ Division final at 11:00 a.m. and the Under 21 final at 1:00 p.m. Admission will be $5, with children under the age of 15 admitted for free.

TEAM OF THE WEEK: VANCOUVER FIREFIGHTERS for their third consecutive upset victory—this latest one a decisive 5-1 victory over the Vancouver Island champions, Victoria Gorge. After scoring only once in 240 minutes of action in the previous 2 games, the Firemen scored almost at will against the home team and fully deserved the emphatic margin of victory. Next up: the Sapperton Rovers! As Dave Brown used to say, may the best man win!!!!!!

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Sapperton Rovers’ defender JEFF ROGERS for his excellent performance in his team’s 2-1 victory over Columbus-Clan FC. Not only did Rogers defend tenaciously throughout the contest, but he also found time to make some very penetrating and dangerous runs down the right flank, causing the Columbus defenders numerous headaches. For his outstanding performance, JEFF ROGERS will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of THE GOLDEN BOOT CAFFE`. The prize is available up to 2006-05-31

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rovers to Province cup

Tom Berridge, sports editor

Three times lucky. That is what the Sapperton Rovers are thinking after making it to the Province Cup for the first time in the club's history with a 2-1 victory over Columbus-Clan A Sunday.

After two previous flirtations with a Cup semifinal last season and in 2002, Sapperton had Lady Luck on its side this time around.

Playing at Royal Athletic Park, where wind gusts were strong enough to blow over the sideline canopies, the Rovers scored what proved to be the game-winning goal off a punt from goalkeeper Cory Breure.

The clearance kick bounced once at the 20-metre line and carried on into the net due to the high winds.

The unusual tally was the former Canadian Olympic team keeper's first-ever marker in Vancouver Metro league play.

The goal came just five minutes after Trevor Todd put the visitors up 1-0 with a clever steal on Clan goalie Luca Della Pace and scored into an empty net in the 35th minute of the first half.

"We did get lucky, but we did create some luck," said Sapperton head coach Bryan Wevers. "Right now, things have just gone our way in the Cup. We have had bad luck in the past, but right now I hope things just continue."

Only one player on the Rovers squad, Mike Araszewski, has sipped from the Province Cup.

Another, Ryan McNabb, has been to the final twice before but came up empty both times.

Wevers is hoping that come Saturday, the 1996/97 league champions can add a second piece of hardware to the club mantel.

Last season, Sapperton was beaten on penalty kicks by Surrey United in the final four of cup play. Three years earlier, Victoria Gorge beat them in overtime.

On Saturday, Sapperton will face Firefighters A, 5-1 winners over Gorge FC in the other semifinal, in the Province Cup final.

Sapperton lost its only meeting this season with the Firefighters 1-0, but Wevers is confident this year is the Rovers' season to shine.

"This one I do like. I just think we have more skill than them. As long as we can come out and match their intensity, we can beat them. We have the best goalie, a solid defence, and I just think we have a really skilled team," Wevers said.

The cup final will be held at Town Centre Stadium in Coquitlam. Kickoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.

Feeling confident WAB!!!:D

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
We're 24 hours away from the first of several provincial cup finals, Masters, U21 and Open, and there is still no notice of the games on the BCSA website front page. I also haven't seen any ads in the local newspapers from the BCSA about the games. The BCSA is supposed to promote soccer in BC, but their not doing it even for the Provincial Cup finals.

I have sent Emails to Dan Stinson of the Vancouver Sun and to the 24 and Metro newspapers and to some community newspapers to tell them about the games, but so far none of those papers has run anything. My youth club has posted the information on its website because Sapp has helped them in the past. Its obvious the BCSA needs to do a better job promoting the games.

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB,

Good luck to you and the Firemen this weekend. It is a great accomplishment to make it to a championship game. It should be a good, competitive game. I'll be golfing!!! ;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good luck to both teams tomorrow - while Firemen have a bit of history here on their side as a club, both teams are a bit green at this stage. I think.

Sapperton, being the older team of the 2, will prevail in a great final. At least it better be if I'm forking over $5 to go towards Azzi's pizza fund :mad:

Sapperton 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0