Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2008 Whitecaps Men Results

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Took in this game with La Señora and the daemonspawn. If this is the "full 90 effort" I'm worried...

Where did Big Country in the middle come from??? His bio says he's 6'5" and 220, but he played like he was 5'5" - I don't think I saw the guy challenge for a single header. Useless tit.

I also see a clinic on how to do a proper pass back in the future - that display was appalling; kind of like the shape the grass is in.:eek:

Why was JJ sitting on the bench? He supplied instant spark for the offense when he came in. Coach's bad books?

Finally, who was the Coby-wannabe playing on Minny's left side? He spent as much time on his arse as he did on his feet - diving cnut.

so many questions...

Trece

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, I hear a lot of what you are saying...

1. The field is terrible...In past years the pitch has looked like a snooker table..I don't know what is the deal with that, usually the only time the field gets torn up is during Football (SFU I think) Passes bobbling around etc...it just looks bad, and the beercups don't fall right when we toss them behind the south goal, it takes a lot of the distance off of the tosses.. ;)
2. The big guy did play like a girl, bailed out of tackles both on and off the ball.
3. Takahashi Hirano or whatever his name is was very good to start the game but as the game wore on he got worse and worse...can't blame it on tiredness...
4. JJ was good when he came on, but he is never going to outjump that goliath that Minny had...He was 6'5 or so, but maybe a buck fifty... JJ is best used when he slinks out to the top of the box and instead of the killer cross the ball is played back out across the 18...that is how many of his goals were scored three years back when he ripped that league to shreds.

The Problem the caps are going to have all year is that their attack minded players need the ball played to their feet. "Kick and Run" is not an "Attack Minded" way of play, it is the u-10 way of play.

The Caps were best in years gone by when the only ball played long more then 30 yards was when they switched the field after committing the opposition markers too far off the weak wing. Seeing Valente, Kindel, or Morris running down that switch ball and then playing it across the face of the 18 was the way Fonseca ran the offense...and ever since Lilley came along that way of play has been abandoned...An MLS or other team with a well organised backline will eat the Caps up quick, unless they start playing the game to their rosters strengths.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The 86ers of 1990 and 1991 could attack in waves..........that's all they did......I was watching some old footage of it yesterday.......Today's product is quite simply.......SHOC-KING.

Thriller and Reedie, I was going retro and watching the 5 - 1 pumping we put on you guys at Swangard. :) Niall was there too, as a 16 year-old, according to Vic Rauter. :D God bless Vic and Dick Howard........and of course Graham Legget.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain,

Where were you watching the old footage? On your betamax at home?

:D

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I still dont remember the PK...please tell me I was taking a piss when they scored.

Beats the hell out of me, I remember harrasing the Thunder players for cheering so loud to get a tie. Didn't make sense until JBN turned on the post-game report in the car and they were talking about a 1-0 loss that I realized the foolishness of my actions :D Ah the gloriousness of beer.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The 86ers of 1990 and 1991 could attack in waves..........that's all they did......I was watching some old footage of it yesterday.......Today's product is quite simply.......SHOC-KING.

Thriller and Reedie, I was going retro and watching the 5 - 1 pumping we put on you guys at Swangard. :) Niall was there too, as a 16 year-old, according to Vic Rauter. :D God bless Vic and Dick Howard........and of course Graham Legget.

who these guys? ;)

long live the mullet and mustache!

the shorts look like they hurt

Attachments

• 1989_Vanc_86ers_01.jpg
    1989_Vanc_86ers_01.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 139

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stevie Mac looks like he's 11 in that photo and Merkl looks like he needs another toke :D

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Merkl had this photo up in his old shop...Nice one Polska!!!

I think that was the season My uncle took me to my first few games and I fell in love with Soccer. (1990?)

Mobilio scored two incredible goals (they are all incredible when you are 9 and enjoying a frosted malt or hotdog in the sunshine at Swangard :D)

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Every player in the photo is from BC except Ivor Evans.
Where are the BC players in the Whitecaps system now?
Why are we having to watch American College players?
There must be players from here that can do the job.
Where are all of the "Prospects" that we here about?
Not one on the bench.
After 5 years of "Y" League development within the Whitecaps, not one player has come through.
What is going on?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Every player in the photo is from BC except Ivor Evans.
Where are the BC players in the Whitecaps system now?
Why are we having to watch American College players?
There must be players from here that can do the job.
Where are all of the "Prospects" that we here about?
Not one on the bench.
After 5 years of "Y" League development within the Whitecaps, not one player has come through.
What is going on?

You're right, Jigsaw......I hear nothing but good things about the 'Prospects' players but they never seem to get a sniff........they're playing in the PCSL this summer I think........

Franz Bakingpowder

Aug 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe the hubcaps have been "devoloping youth" as they say in the Super Y League for the past 7 years now. Where have all these players gone now? In all those years not one player was good enough to even sit on the bench for this team? Is the Super Y League just a money grab for them then?

The youngest player in the first team is 21! That's shocking.

And even the residency program they have....none of those players are good enough to be on the bench and perhaps get some minutes for the first team?

Get rid of the Yanks and bring back the BC talent is what I say.

Franz.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to agree.

I fondly remember the glory days of the '86ers. They sure did attack in waves, and they were fun to watch. Catliff & Mobilio up front were such a dominating combo. Many from this team formed the nucleus of the WC qualifying team that came w/ in a whisker of qualifying for the '94 WC.

Remember how the Mexican newspapers were referring to the Canadian strikers as "tree trunks"? :D They were genuinely afraid of Canada then!

Captain Blue Eyes- weren't you a part of that amazing undefeated streak that included a "North American" professional championship? What was that? 80 some-odd games?

Yes- we need them to use local talent. Honestly, who gives two shits what the coach feels? Mandate it, and then have him prove his worth as a coach.

Hell, if he could guide Estonia to the top 100 in standings, surely he could use the system in place? :rolleyes:

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
That was 1989 I believe......the year before I played......:) And yes, those shorts were uncomfortable and hideous too.......:D

well quite possibly you may have autographed my 86'ers program back in the day when i got to ball boy for the squad, followed by a meet and greet autograph session afterwards in the locker room. a definate number 1 hi-lite for me.:cool:

and coming in a close second was aquiring WILLE HUBERS stick at an open canucks practice.:D

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0