Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 Olympics Soccer

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a beast Trancedi is. I think she had 2 or 3 hockey style bodychecks, plus 2 or 3 beautiful assists. She plays with a passion that makes me proud. They all played with more heart than the KHL and most of the NHL combined. First US goal was shocking, the FVSL Div 4 North Coquitlam Unicorns put a guy on the near post ffs.

After going to the qualifying games at BC place with my daughters and seeing them today yelling and screaming in delight as Sinclair almost beat them. It was hard to explain to them that sometimes the ref makes a bad call. God what an understatement.
Time violation? are you shitting me?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TBH, I thought Sinclair was at fault for the first goal... it should have never got as far as it did if she didn't jump out of the way?

Aztec Ruler

Jun 11, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great great effort, not the result we had hoped for, but nevertheless proud of the way the young ladies played, originally was not too happy with the offical result, esp what i thought was a bit of weak[er] hand ball, but better to look at the positive of the play over the entire tournie....[they were great] The strong american team knew they were lucky to win what will be their toughest game of this event! Best of luck against the french! :cool:

ffdusty

Oct 4, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just watched the time wasting incident again. McLeod caught the ball on the cross and went to ground. From the time she got up to the time she punted the ball was 8 seconds. As a referee, I've never made this call, I've always given the keeper a yell to get the ball moving when I count to 6. If it happens a couple of times I'll have a quiet word with him next chance I get, then next time I'll call it. If she had talked to McLeod, fair enough, but judging by her foul recognition (both ways) and her look of not having any real feel for the game, I doubt she had warned her. She just decided that a delay call in the 77th minute in the semi final was warranted. In the 97th minute there was a foul where both teams stopped, but no call. It was one of the most incompetent displays of officiating(both ways) I've seen in a long time. The unfortunate part was the big call went against Canada. Props to the Canadian girls for there massive improvement since the last World Cup, and for there massive display of heart and guts today. It's too bad the standard of officiating in the women's game hasn't kept up with the players. Maybe it's time to let men ref the women, cause most of the women seem to struggle.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I missed the game thanks to putting posts up for a new fcuking fence.....nice timing by the guy. Anyway, if anyone has video of the incidents I would like to see them? I tried the olympics site but only got a shitty version of the alleged hand ball. It was a bad stream apparently. Either way, it is gut wrenching for the ladies to play the Americans to the last kick of the ball to have it end in defeat.....especially if this ref was as bad as everyone has been suggesting.

And I'm sorry......but Canada's goalie is TERRIBLE. McLeod let the second goal go through her hands..yes, the ball hit the post and went in but she completely whiffed at the ball. The first goal could have been easily picked up by her too though I wouldn't put ALL the blame on her but certainly part of it. It would be nice to beat the French but I'm not sure Canada has enough mentally left to do the job after what happened today.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, they may not have enough players left physically after that game. Those two teams kicked the crap out of each other.

As for the hand ball, on its own, yes, it was likely that it should be called. However, where I felt the official screwed up is when she set a non-call precedent in the first half when the American knocked the ball down down with her arm in the box. That non-call was just as bad.

Brutal officiating throughout for both teams. My voice is still trying to find its way back into my throat after the screaming I did earlier today.

edit - Desiree Scott is the toughest player in soccer - men or women. How she got up and played after her leg bent backward like that is beyond me.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still completely fired up about that game yesterday. First goal from the Americans was shocking, even us FVSL players know to keep the posts covered. Our women played absolutely amazing and shocked everyone as I am sure most thought they never stood a chance. As bitter as I am at the absolute shocking and embarrassing display of officiating, Its really hard to stay mad at Alex Morgan and Hope Solo. But time to do work and bring home that Bronze, anything else would be unfair and I think our girls will take it.

PS. Christina Pedersen is a bag of shite, that is all.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TBH, I thought Sinclair was at fault for the first goal... it should have never got as far as it did if she didn't jump out of the way?

Couldn't agree more. She was what, two or three yards in front of the near post along the goal line, and jumps OVER the ball?!? If she puts her foot to it, it doesn't go in, period. Tragic defending, and goal keeping to in all honesty.

None the less, a very gutsy team performance, and all those ladies should hold their heads up high after representing their country and making us football loving Canadians very proud!

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
c/p

LONDON — As the smoke lingers, an investigation has begun.

Soccer’s governing body has announced it is looking into events that unfolded following Canada’s devastating loss to the United States at the London Olympics. Canada lost 4-3 in its semifinal game on Monday, following a series of bizarre calls by the referee.

“Following the Olympic women’s semi-final match between Canada and the USA played at Old Trafford on the evening of 6 August, the FIFA Disciplinary Committee is currently analyzing incidents that occurred after the conclusion of the match,” soccer’s world governing body said in an email release distributed on Tuesday.

It was not made immediately clear to which “incidents” FIFA was referring, though a number of Canadian players were critical of Norwegian referee Christiana Pedersen.

“Further information will be provided only after the Committee are in possession of all the elements of the case,” FIFA said in the release.

Read more: FIFA, global soccer body, looking into Canada-U.S. Olympic controversy

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
this on twitter from @tsnjamesduthie : It gets worse. FIFA investigating comments made by Cdn soccer players post-game about ref. Suspensions for bronze medal game a possibility.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Amazing effort by the Women's team, leaving it all out on the field, despite what looked like some awful even-up attempts by the questionably-qualified referee (only done 5 internationals before? Really?). Agreed with ffdusty; if you have to count 6, you do so after a keeper gains control of the ball. Bogus call for the peno as well, calling a reaction as players turn AWAY from the ball. I have a hunch the whistle was already in her mouth before that call was made. Didn't see the alleged hand ball in the US box in the first half, but sounds like it was dodgy as well.

I don't blame McLeod for being too short to reach a ball fired in luck off the far post, or a header that goes off the bar, but surely there's another female keeper in this country who's slightly taller than 5'6" who can play at this level?

Christine Sinclair is THE best. Ask Amy Wambaugh; she knew that she wasn't playing for the best team on the pitch in this game. Alex Morgan, OTOH needs to learn a bit of class, given her post-game tub-thumping comments.

John Herdman has really been a breath of fresh air for this team; it would be a truly sad thing if FIFA jumps all over frustration and faults the reactions instead of the cause.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece, her height had NOTHING to do with her positioning on the header....the ball didn't go off the bar and at 5'6" a ball like that would have been caught if she was on her line.....she outright WHIFFED at the shot from the difficult angle...watch the angle behind the goal. She is not good. BTW, Japan's goalie is 5'5" and they are in the final. :)

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of US travels, I am in the US right now, and USA today had the three stars listed in this morning's paper: Christine Sinclair was lucky enough to get second star behind some US player...Sinclair's selection based on the mere fact that she scored all of Canada's goals (three).

I am serious.

Sir M

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kapitan: I don't believe you are referring to the same play as I was: Amy Wambaugh headed a ball that went off the bar and came back out; McLeod waved at it but was short about 2 inches. The Japanese keeper is good but she also has the world's best defence in front of her, which doesn't hurt either.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0