Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Vancouver Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
And as much as Mattocks appears to have bought in, I'm not sold - his reaction when coming off was enough to tell me at some point, he's going to spit his dummy out.

That's interesting because my observation was that he called for the sub. I assumed he was either injured or embarrassed that he couldn't finish from 6 yards (even if he was offside)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If he did call to be subbed, wouldn't that make his reaction even worse?

We've seen he can't finish inside the six how many times? Do you believe it's suddenly going to improve?

I'm not saying he won't improve that aspect but his natural demeanor won't help him in my view.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The way we have look at it this is this. One game is in the bag. Robbo is shaking from joy at the same time he looks scared. Team has thirty percent more skill in close. Set plays and corner kicks look much better. Attacking is fun to watch, Mattocks will be fine as long as he stays from much party.
Go figure out why our National side looses games. It might open eyes to some local coaches when you see what they teach kids here. Soccer is fun to watch when you see better skill.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

We've seen he can't finish inside the six how many times? Do you believe it's suddenly going to improve?

I'm not saying he won't improve that aspect but his natural demeanor won't help him in my view.

I definitely spotted the body language after the sub and from his off season comments its safe to say he has a lot of I and me in his game and overall approach to life I'm sure. However I'm hoping it was more about being disappointed in his own squandered chances. I'm sure he wanted to show the fans/coach/team that he is the guy and can be a difference maker. Going to be interesting to see if Robbo can manage him, especially if he is playing second fiddle to a healthy Kenny miller. Miller can score if he gets service, something I think Morales can provide. Mattocks is a wild card but Robbo appears to be a players coach and I'm hoping he can get the most out of the boys.

I could just be overally optimistic after a fun, entertaining performance that resembled professional soccer. Been tough the last few years watching the Caps Saturday afternoons when I watch 2-3 EPL games in the morning. The drop in play has been staggering but that trumped the 3-0 Man Utd performance for me.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I agree. Mattocks will need to be managed. Heard Robbo say in some interview that players may like him now and are content, but that may not be the case halfway through the season, if they aren't getting playing time. He's preparing himself correctly and not getting over-hyped with the first game result and hoopla.

Once again, the Vancouver media over-indulge in the first game success and establish expectations that over-whelm the wacko Vancouver fan base who do not have the mental maturity to deal with things.

The media in this province really do influence a vulnerable and hungry Vancouver fan base.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby as they should. This town loves soccer. Fans after all make it all go. Mattocks is learning he will be OK. I think he head change of hart. He is playing better and you can see smile on his face. If he got nice hear cut fans would love him even more.
In my opinion he is just self centred dude but a good player if he wants. So far Robbo is smiling four points is OK.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This week's line-up should be interesting. Kenny Miller should never start out wide, he just doesn't have the pace...but clearly he can still finish w/ the right service. I will begrudgingly say Buttox has changed his tune, it seems, for the better. He's deffinitely more effective coming to the ball and looking for quick combos than he was in looking for the ball over the top EVERY time. Again, a lot to do w/ service. I would like to see more of Christian Dean at left back or even sweeping in behind Demerit if O'Brien isn't good to go.

I liked Robo's timing on the subs, LOVED seeing Kakuta get in and make an immediate impact (he's become my favorit Cap), but Hurtado...that kid is clueless, and it showed. Would much rather have seen Mezquida slot in and see what he can do, or Koffie. I can't believe that Hurtado was sitting higher on the debth chart than either of these two players. Koffie would have brought more bite and ball winning, not to mention, he's pretty pacy himself, and by his resume. Plus, Koffie has shown he can score, unlike Hurtado. Mezquida surely would have brought more ability to attack, and more intelligence. Bringing in Hurtado had zero impact, just like it did all last season. Got to move this guy along; he doesn't have the IQ.

Anyhow, let the second guessing begin on Robinson.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
They tried to bring Omar on trial in 2010 prior to drafting him, but got caught up in red-tape with regard to international movement restrictions for players under 18. Whether such a trial would have exposed enough to convince the VWFC brass to skip him in the draft we'll never know, but I'm sure it pains everyone to see how well Nagbe has done in these 3 years while Salgado has floundered.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
They tried to bring Omar on trial in 2010 prior to drafting him, but got caught up in red-tape with regard to international movement restrictions for players under 18. Whether such a trial would have exposed enough to convince the VWFC brass to skip him in the draft we'll never know, but I'm sure it pains everyone to see how well Nagbe has done in these 3 years while Salgado has floundered.
Seems to be a lot of discussion regarding this player who simply has not progressed. I know he's had injuries, but there are players everywhere around the world with hard luck stories.
The better ones come through.
He has not.
Not good enough.
His attitude is flawed.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
While we're at it, how come DeMerit needs to be rested after only playing 2 games of the season?
If he has had a knock during training, or his Achilles is playing up and they will not play him as a precaution, I can accept that, but tell the truth.
Rested????????
Are you kidding me?
It was Y.P. Lee last year, only playing home games and didn't fancy traveling to the away games.
How can anyone have a go at NY Red Bulls and Henry, for not coming to Vancouver, when Demerit is not traveling to an away game, because he is being rested?
Looks like a 'Bush League" to me.
Surely someone in the front office has enough experience in football to see this and stop these amateur events from happening all too often.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too many Coaches these days trying to micro manage everything.
Robinson resting DeMerit is crazy.If he can't play more than 2 games without needing a rest, then sign someone else who can last the pace.
I know it is not DeMerit's decision.

Here is a novel idea that might just work, if the Coach would give it a try.
Play you strongest team, every game.
Play to win, whether home, or away.
If a player cannot play due to persistent injury or because he's getting too old, sign younger players who are fit & healthy.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
It sounds like DeMerit will be back in the line-up after his "rest".
What about the player who takes his place?
If he plays well, does he get to keep the starting position?
If not, how can you expect players to give everything in training, only to be put back into the reserves.
You cannot have a competitive and honest environment when this crap goes on.
When will they learn?

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
We got 4 points out of 6 with solid players like leveron and dean on the bench. Players will go down with injuries or cards we finally have some depth lets not get to worried just yet

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We got 4 points out of 6 with solid players like leveron and dean on the bench. Players will go down with injuries or cards we finally have some depth lets not get to worried just yet
Not the point.
If you are going to rotate players to keep them happy and involved is one thing, to come out and say that he is resting a player is silly.
The best teams rarely change their back 4 unless there are injuries, or suspensions.
You need to have a good solid base & continuity to set your team up for success, messing around with your back 4 is only asking for trouble.

off the post

Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not the point.
If you are going to rotate players to keep them happy and involved is one thing, to come out and say that he is resting a player is silly.
The best teams rarely change their back 4 unless there are injuries, or suspensions.
You need to have a good solid base & continuity to set your team up for success, messing around with your back 4 is only asking for trouble.
Always negative!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0