Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 BC Mens Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last I saw him he was coaching impressionable youth. Haven't seen him since, but haven't checked the penitentiaries.

tremy-1

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a great idea.Enforcing geographical boundaries for clubs, teams and maybe players not allowing them to choose where to play as they do with youth. We are talking about adults here not kids.
Why don't we creat an HPL for adults?
Then you wonder why the game of football will never get anywhere.
I rest my case.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a great idea.Enforcing geographical boundaries for clubs, teams and maybe players not allowing them to choose where to play as they do with youth. We are talking about adults here not kids.
I rest my case.

HPL actually removed the geographical boundaries for youth did it not?

Geographical boundaries for adults used to exist, but here's the rub: teams like Surrey and Peg left the FVSL because the VMSL has historically proven itself a better league. No team from the FVSL in the modern era has ever won the Provincial Cup. A glance at the archives shows that the last team (perhaps only team?) from the Valley to win it was Lobbans in 1974 (I assume they were still located in Surrey back then??). It's why North Delta left after a League and Cup double which earned them a birth in the Provincial semi-finals for a spot in VMSL Div 1. At the moment the VMSL is where the best teams and best players play, and I know plenty of guys willing to commute from the Valley to compete at that level.

Certainly no one is heading to the island to play amateur soccer on a weekly basis, plus the island seems to produce championship calibre teams at a decent level of consistency. So really this is just about the VMSL and the FVSL. Could they combine to form a super division, possibly. It would certainly be a logistical nightmare, plus travel throughout the lower mainland was originally why the VMSL did NOT WANT teams from the Valley competing in their league. Plus both leagues have some great traditions, particularly the FVSL, and it would be tough to blend those histories.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No team from the FVSL in the modern era has ever won the Provincial Cup. A glance at the archives shows that the last team (perhaps only team?) from the Valley to win it was Lobbans in 1974 (I assume they were still located in Surrey back then??).

No.

Vancouver Lobbans -- named after a flower shop I believe? The club only moved to Surrey under new management in the mid-to-late 2000s with the promise to keep the name.

Has an FVSL team ever won Provincial A Cup?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I rest my case.

Sore spot?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ummmmm....

Yes, yes, I know the spot was always North Shore Peg. I just didn't want to get into all the back door "mergers" that went into Surrey teams playing in the VMSL.

Surrey Utd was technically Vancouver Firefighters, Pacific was once Sapperton Rovers, etc.

Point is the good Valley teams play in the VMSL now.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I hear for the right price they come back. Personally I think it's a good thing if the valley ends up with 2-3 more geographically based proper premier teams. There is a solid 15 teams in the VMSL that can play FVSL premier, maybe more. It would allow the people who live in the valley closer to the same level competition as the vmsl.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see what you did there.

:)

So did Peg, SU, and West Van jump the shark completely for 2016/2017? Anyone know? If they did and one of them won the Cup in May, would the FVSL claim ownership of their first open championship?

Answers on a napkin please, you can slip them under the door...

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't do anything.... I just have a hard time now, reading the old rethtoric about one LEAGUE being better than another basing things on the results from a single division. It's a tired, played view in my opinion. I know, I know rose coloured glasses. I have to say it. It's in my contract.

We have strong teams playing in the valley is what I'm saying. Canucks post is a big load of plop...there was no back door mergers that had surrey teams playing in the the Vmsl FFS. The division expanded in 99 and a move was made. At the time a sound one. Also surrey united is not technically fireman, the other way round. It's was an equal partnership to start to save two struggling franchises...and SU decided to keep the firefighter tag out of respect and tradition.

This is hard on a phone with one finger. Dunno how lion does it... :knvb:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
... And Vmsl has 6 provincial cup losers every year, likely 7 when I think Sannich will win it. We only have 4, stick that stat up yeer wee arse!

It's science you can't argue it. :knvb:

~fingercrampsforever

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not meant to be a "load of plop" it's just how I always understood it to have worked. I recall the VMSL being vehemently opposed to adding Surrey teams in the late 90s, maybe I am mis-remembering, it's quite possible.

Franchises like Peg, Sapperton and Firefighters ended up in Surrey but stayed in the VMSL. I was led to believe it was a work around, as you say some of those clubs were struggling mightily at the time so mergers made sense.

Perhaps had those teams stayed in the Valley they would have still won Provincial cups and the whole a Valley team has never won it arguement would be moot, it's impossible to say.

As for one LEAGUE being better, sorry you're right I should be more specific. It's impossible to compare the leagues as wholes. I am saying the BEST TEAMS on the mainland play in the VMSL Premier division. You're 100% right, I meant best DIVISION not best LEAGUE, that's my bad. One look at Cup Finals day shows a perfect example of something the FVSL is doing way better than the VMSL.

tremy-1

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love the confidence knvb has on the FVSL teams playing in the Provincial Cup " I think Sannich will win it".:cool:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
League / Division... we are in the Provincial A Cup thread, seems pretty simple straightforward what is being implied here, it's pretty rare a non-premier team is in this competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0