Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 FVSL Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll start, since no thread has started yet on this, and since this is a bit of a #noonecares flyer, only one thread for the whole league.

Tidbits from various ASSs and other threads to discuss:

~Biggest: North Delta and @LION return to the FVSL, but under the Coastal banner. Having been able to chat w/ the main man himself several times over the last couple of years, I can see why this came full circle, primary reason being that I don't think the infrastructure at ND supported a continuous stream of young talent to draw from and into his teams there. Coastal offers more facilities, more financial support, more player support in terms of a potential tie to the BCPL program. Totally get this. Why the move to the FVSL instead of staying VMSL (where I'd presume they'd have to stay in Div. 1, win their way back up)? My hypothesis on this is that I bet it has a lot to do w/ the same reasons Surrey United made the move back to the Valley- shifts in economics and soccer power bases / infrastructure. Cost of living in the Valley vs. City forcing young guys w/ families out this way, etc. So, I said this was inevitable 15 something years ago, and stated then a Provincial FVSL Champ was only a matter of time...well...still waiting. This last year was a banner year, but still no champ (runner up and 2 teams in the semis is nice, though.). Overall, I agree with the line of thinking in that there is a slow shift in power bases in the mainland, geographically at least, to support a stronger FVSL, and weakening VMSL.

~Pomo Rangers fold, and Big Bag takes his best players to Surrey United to form a potential powerhouse. My take is that Surrey United is on the young side still, and added experience from the core coming over should help ramp forward the Surrey United program, back up to a level of play they've been accustomed to over the past 10+ years. POtentially a good merger. @Ballbaby?

~This may yet only be a rumor, but have heard Westcoast folded. Yes, folded. This came as a shock to me, I can't remember the FVSL not having a WCFC / Golden Ears team in Premier. With all those teams, all those players, you'd think they'd be able to sort their shite sorted out, so I'm really curious to see what's going on there if any....but as of now, still shown on the FVSL site as being in for the season, and they did win the 1st div last year, so maybe a fluid situation.

~BC Tigers Dasmesh A stay up. WTF? @knvb . I get why the need to stay at 10 teams, but what is going on there, have they made some moves to merge in w/ another squad to strengthen it to justify keeping them in Prem?

~With Burnaby coming up, that makes either 9 or 10 teams. Obviously, 10 teams is far better, optically.

~Masters Premier: Coastal boys move back into CAP under Surrey United. Last years Surrey United Prem boys take their demotion to 1st, Coastal relocates, perhaps a bit of a reshuffling of the players in terms of who wants to play at what level. I think I have it right. I see HOW this has occurred, what I'm missing is WHY. I remember the last time I was involved in a team moving clubs (LUYSA 1st div. Masters to LUFC for very petty differences some players had with a TD hiring at LUYSA. I don't care what you say, @robj, it was petty then, and still petty), and it was just plain weird. @knvb, @utah, any insight? I expect this:

~Temple with 2 teams in Masters Premier. Get your popcorn, can't wait to see that darby!

This is a huge year in the FVSL, to see if they can build on momentum created last year.

Comments, or just crickets?

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And, in defence of Rob, he was the president of the existing club where we currently were and fought to keep us.
I see nothing wrong with that in the end, which is why I went along with the decision to NOT move.
And benefits came with that, that you don't seem to acknowledge or have forgotten about.

Carry on with your crickets :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was petty, facts aren't far off. Basically a small group / faction in the team voting to move or else, most abstaining (me included) in interest of keeping the team alive.

Which I will definitely say, up there with the best group I've ever played with....

But still petty.

Better than crickets.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes Westcoast folded officially. They couldn't sustain, after losing a couple of players each season for the past 3 years it's been tough.

Their 3 top scorers from last season all moved on this summer, as did there keeper of the past however many seasons. As for the club sorting it's shite out? You can only pick players who are interested in playing for the Premier side. The div 1 team would be a decent option with some solid players, but they would have to add to those guys as they have plenty of players not at premier calibre.

Coastal, Surrey, Aldergrove, Langley, Moody, Burnaby, and Abbotsford all solid squads. The league looks tight for next season, even Chilli are a decent side that won't be a push over. I don't know much of BC tigers admittedly so no judgement on them.
Excited to see how the top four pans out this year.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're still wrong and yes, your facts are way off. ;)

It was a vote to remain at LFC 'or else'.

Pettyforever
The main fact I got wrong was the LUYSA part. We as a men's club were independent at the time- LUFC. There was a working relationship there but no formal affiliation. Not the fist time I have forgotten that. The move to LFC was from LUFC, and I was disappointed because it severed our tie to the Masters Premier side.

Still, kept a GREAT group of lads together, but there were petty motivations.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes Westcoast folded officially. They couldn't sustain, after losing a couple of players each season for the past 3 years it's been tough.

Their 3 top scorers from last season all moved on this summer, as did there keeper of the past however many seasons. As for the club sorting it's shite out? You can only pick players who are interested in playing for the Premier side. The div 1 team would be a decent option with some solid players, but they would have to add to those guys as they have plenty of players not at premier calibre.

Coastal, Surrey, Aldergrove, Langley, Moody, Burnaby, and Abbotsford all solid squads. The league looks tight for next season, even Chilli are a decent side that won't be a push over. I don't know much of BC tigers admittedly so no judgement on them.

Wow! I was hoping my source was wrong. Too bad.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The main fact I got wrong was the LUYSA part. We as a men's club were independent at the time- LUFC. There was a working relationship there but no formal affiliation. Not the fist time I have forgotten that. The move to LFC was from LUFC, and I was disappointed because it severed our tie to the Masters Premier side.

Still, kept a GREAT group of lads together, but there were petty motivations.

....one thing. @robj was more facilitator than protagonist. He or RF didn't force the move.

@knvb - your move as messy?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I THINK as I understand it the head coach of the 2016/17 Coastal Premier squad now moved his team to Dasmesh. It'll be interesting to see if they can get traction.

I hope that by seeing WCFC on the list for 2017 that there remains a pulse at the club to figure it out. Too bad, again. 4th place on the table in 2016/17 is nothing to sneeze at. Great facilities, very central location, big club...really, it's quite a desirable landing spot should some VMSL squad be looking to relocate and gain a full cradle-to-grave club to call home. Not saying at all that's on the horizon (that truly is a hypothetical scenario) or even a possibility, but seriously, it seems wrong to have the FVSL Prem w/ out a WCFC entry.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Does this mean you have signed JC and Ace?

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does this mean you have signed JC and Ace?

From what I heard JC had left to go play for Mills. Can't confirm that 100% though as I haven't spoke to him since last season.

Alex I believe dropped down to the Knights, also a rumour which I would imagine is true. Over 30 with kids now, and a lot of those guys he played with throughout his long tenure as keeper for the club.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I heard JC had left to go play for Mills. Can't confirm that 100% though as I haven't spoke to him since last season.

Alex I believe dropped down to the Knights, also a rumour which I would imagine is true. Over 30 with kids now, and a lot of those guys he played with throughout his long tenure as keeper for the club.
Great signing for the knights with a permanent fixture in net. He will get them extra points this year for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0