Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2023 FIFA Womens World Cup

uniballer

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
well, when there are eight teams everyone makes the World Cup... when there are 200 teams, not so much... which is more impressive - 5th out of 10 or 80th out of 200? Since we're talking "parity"...

the men bring in significantly more money than the women. to me, parity would be them getting the same percentage of the revenues they bring in as the women do. but of course that's not what the women want. they want a more "equitable" set-up - the same final amount as the men.

i wish an enterprising journalist would come right out and ask the men if they were prepared to have their share reduced so that the women's share could be increased. there's a finite pot, so that's what would have to happen. the men love to talk in platitudes about how progressive they are, but they seem every bit as money hungry as the women and i highly doubt their answer would be "sure, no problem".

look, if we're going to have the men subsidize the women as a public policy decision, fair enough. we should be transparent enough about that to come out and say it, and then deal with the blowback from the men's side. I think the "same percentage" approach is by far the fairest, but what do I know...
The basic premise of your argument is that it's some sort of tradeoff with the men subsidizing the women versus the primary question/issue:

Are the women players paid appropriately for the work they do in training and playing?

The vestiges of how women don't contribute like men always seem to be part of every discussion on equitable treatment of men and women when it comes to equal pay for equal work.

The mens team is also pushing for better treatment in game preparation, etc but it is not about a tradeoff or subsidies. Their costs to play are much higher and that has to factor into how Canadian men prepare.

With the womens team in the media for the wrong reasons, soccer at the national level has its brand further tarnished all it self-inflicted it seems.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The basic premise of your argument is that it's some sort of tradeoff with the men subsidizing the women versus the primary question/issue:

Are the women players paid appropriately for the work they do in training and playing?

The vestiges of how women don't contribute like men always seem to be part of every discussion on equitable treatment of men and women when it comes to equal pay for equal work.

The mens team is also pushing for better treatment in game preparation, etc but it is not about a tradeoff or subsidies. Their costs to play are much higher and that has to factor into how Canadian men prepare.

With the womens team in the media for the wrong reasons, soccer at the national level has its brand further tarnished all it self-inflicted it seems.
I'm not suggesting that the women "don't contribute like men"... that's a subtle twist on what I actually said. I'm saying that the money brought in by the men and women isn't the same. That's something that could be taken up with FIFA, but the bigger issue is that far more people choose to spend their money engaging with the men's game rather than the women's. Bill Burr does a great bit on this.

Like it or not, the men bring in x, the women y, and the total pool is x + y. To the extent that the money can notionally be split between the male and female sides, giving more one side will necessarily take from the other.

That's the part the CSA can control, so yes, I think that is the primary issue...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Already seeing blame being put on CSA for dismal performance by players and staff. You knew it was coming...

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
They were the 4th best team in the group. Heads weren't it from the start of the tourney. At times it looked like they were intentionally not trying. I wonder if there's a bit of an issue in the locker room beteeen the old and new guard. Sinclair nice career but time to hang em up was after the last Olympics. Start fresh. Need a New coach as well. Wake up Canada the rest of the world is catching up!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They were the 4th best team in the group. Heads weren't it from the start of the tourney. At times it looked like they were intentionally not trying. I wonder if there's a bit of an issue in the locker room beteeen the old and new guard. Sinclair nice career but time to hang em up was after the last Olympics. Start fresh. Need a New coach as well. Wake up Canada the rest of the world is catching up!
I read something earlier that this is the 5th time in the last 8 WWC that Canada has failed to progress past the group stage.

From what I've seen which is limited for sure, this team is not worthy of a #7 FIFA ranking. They do not score goals, now they can't stop them, and their hopes are still attached to a 40 year old expected to lead the way.

On the World stage, that's not how things work.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Credit to Sinc - she put this on the players rather than the CSA... which of course doesn't mean that she won't have lots to say about the CSA going forward, but that's showing a ton of leadership in a difficult situation by saying "this is on us"...

Realistically, it's hard not to think that they got distracted by the political bullshit. I don't know that I buy the locker room disconnect theory - most of the younger players grew up worshipping Sinc - and I don't think Priestman deserves much blame if indeed her employer and her players were waging a civil war of sorts around her training sessions.

Someone needs to tell the women AND the men to shut up and play. Off field, behind the scenes, yeah, air your grievances and let's work it out. Probably not a bad idea to gut the board as a good faith effort to show a willingness to change behaviours on the CSA end. But this shite is really starting to affect the performance of the teams, and with the current talent and what it means to the next generation of kids watching, that absolutely cannot happen...

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is it just me or was that Sheridan weak in the pipes?
Couple of howlers in a couple games IMHO.

I woke up last night and watched a bit in bed.
Saw the disallowed goal and then minutes later she didn't deal with that cross into the 6 yard box and I promptly turned it off and went back to sleep - Very weak and amateurish at that level.

uniballer

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Saw the disallowed goal and then minutes later she didn't deal with that cross into the 6 yard box and I promptly turned it off and went back to sleep - Very weak and amateurish at that level.
She did look like she was swatting mosquitos at Cultus Lake on a long weekend....

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

first goal she completely loses her net... second goal I have no idea how she doesn't come and catch it... third goal I guess you have to cover near post but they should have had enough players back to deal with the threat... peno obv not her fault...

is there a stud goalie in the women's game? seems a weak spot across countries, tbh...

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't see the whole game but like the commentator said to some extent this is on the coach Bev Priestman and how the team was prepared.
I'm not sure what kind of coach Priestman is but they weren't ready for that game.

But like they also said, the crowd and the fire in the Australian team were formidable.

mtbk - "shut and play" as it's a 'bad example for younger players' could be looked at equally opposite.
They want it better for the future just as much for themselves.
Maybe the off field was a factor here but it doesn't account for people out of positions or a defender on a goal facing their own net or not seeing an oncoming runner until she had the ball for the shot. Not sure if the GK was actually cutting off the angle or out of position on that same goal.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
is there a stud goalie in the women's game? seems a weak spot across countries, tbh...

I thought she was it? Pregame of game one they talked about all her fantastic saves and how good she was with her Pro team. Was excited to see her play from the clips they showed. Then that first goal went in…..

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't see the whole game but like the commentator said to some extent this is on the coach Bev Priestman and how the team was prepared.
I'm not sure what kind of coach Priestman is but they weren't ready for that game.

But like they also said, the crowd and the fire in the Australian team were formidable.

mtbk - "shut and play" as it's a 'bad example for younger players' could be looked at equally opposite.
They want it better for the future just as much for themselves.
Maybe the off field was a factor here but it doesn't account for people out of positions or a defender on a goal facing their own net or not seeing an oncoming runner until she had the ball for the shot. Not sure if the GK was actually cutting off the angle or out of position on that same goal.

ok, fair enough... maybe not "shut up" but "tone down the public rhetoric"...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Weren’t ready for the game? They looked like shite all tournament. Didn’t they struggle leading up to the tournament as well? A descent half game 2.
When you watch the best countries they actually move the ball and keep it a bit. Honestly I know this is harsh but it looks like Div.2 soccer. Was I the only one that thought Ashley Lawrence looked mediocre at best. Zero threat going forward. Looked awkward all tournament. Yah we we’re out but I no longer need to pretend I care.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why the fcuk is she smiling afterwards? Chicks are weird when it comes to sports, I swear.

Discuss.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0