Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

...And it stuck for life.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've met a fair share of people with horrific first names. Ones that make you wonder how many bananna peels their parents smoked at Skynard shows during those halcyon days of the 70s. This one poor sot I went to highscool with had the misfortune of being tagged Szabolcs (Sa-bol-ch) upon leaving his mother's womb. Normally I stray from mocking ethnic naming practices, until his younger brother enrolled in the same school. His name was Fred. Whatever process these parents used to run the naming gamut was obviously skewed, and I always figured they did it simply to engulf themselves in the paradoxical nature of naming one son after a Hungarian political leader and another after Barney Rubble's best friend.

I digress. This past week-end I heard the name "Keegan" being thrown about. I don't necessarily have a problem with the name itself - the kid could have been tagged with a (more) brutal name like Lance or Garth or Dante and would probably have been duct-taped to a locker for most of his high-school career. But this led me to fears that in 10-15 years, I will be hearing North Van soccer moms yelling for little Beckham to stop playing with the jesus fish emblem on the back of the Explorer.

This, to me, is a problem. My guess is that little Becks will be so tired of hearing the question "You mean Beckham, like the soccer player?" that his standard response will be "no, I mean like Beckham the astrophysicist, you dozy cnut." This will probably become a regularity by the age of 15 (kids will be much more bitter in the future). Given the fact your namesake was making millions and rooting a Spice Girl while you were in the midst of an unimpressive stint at community college, the name "Beckham" probably wasn't as cool as yer old man figured it would be when you were 10 minutes old.

And it's almost a foregone conclusion that this wave of misfortune is approaching. I can't think of another athlete with as much global exposure, and my general lack of faith in humanity leads me to believe that several thousands will be enamored with the "originality" of such a concept. Is it too late? Will my pointless rant save a future generation of children from being called "Becks" for short? You can always go with the present option:

Just name your kid Mike, like everybody else does, and get on with it.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
mmmmmmmbop.

It could be worse.

Your surname could be Beckham. Imagine that.

"Hi I'm Brooklyn, these are my little brothers Romeo, Zinedine, Mattress and Big Blackie.

Let the beatings commence."

Or one could simply change their name.....hanson.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exchange student

Way out here in Maple Ridge we had an exchange student come to MRSS and all was fine till she told us her name. Her name was Mia Hoe. Which was fine where she's from but man to come to Canada with that name my good god. I guess we should of told her if she wanted her name to fit in she'd have to transfer to a Surrey school.:eek:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Such misfortune

Having someone name their kid after a popular sports star (Beckham), or pop star (Britney), or a astrological object (Moon Unit) is quite unfair to a child.

I mean, could you imagine someone nowadays naming their kid Jackson after Michael has been through so much in the news lately?
"Jackson, you mean like Michael the pedophile?"

Poor kid.
:(

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
or Reggie Jackson, Jessie Jackson, Jackson Davies :)rolleyes: )Alfred Jackson, Mark Jackson how about Andrew Jackson?

Think about that when you're saying Grace before dinner tonight.

~Moon Beam

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
True, True

Very worthy names to live with.

I will Gracefully bow out now.

I'm just bitter because we didn't get invited to the birthday party.
:(

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
hey Girth luckily this girl didn't go to Greece with that name........Mia is the feminine term for one........there goes A Hoe I mean one Hoe I mean Mia Hoe........ah fcuk ok it is lame but I need something to get me going..........yeah it definitely sucks to have her name

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0