Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are you going to San Francisco?

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a matter of fact, I am...with flowers in my hair. :rolleyes:

Flying out on thurs with my wife (no kids) for 5 days. Just thought I'd troll the ttp wasteland for some San Fran tidbits, hotspots, things to avoid, etc.
ALso considering renting a car for one day for a buzz... we have 3 full days there so I'm not sure if I want to be in a car for one...there's always the BART. We're staying right downtown wthin a couple of km's from union square , etc.

Any advice?

max blink

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Downtown Oakland is almost as nice as the nightlife in Richmond...

If you rent a car for one day head north over the Golden Gate. Do a tour around Marin County (Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, Sausalito (parking is a bitch), etc...). Go a bit further and get in a bit of wine country (Sonoma or Napa) if you feel like spending more time in the car.

Or just burn your brakes going up and down hills in San Francisco. My favourites are the "down only" one-way streets.

max

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aves,

It's a city catered to the tourist. Everything will become obvious to you when you get there. Spent two weeks there. Awesome, except there was not a decent Greek restaurant to be found.

OK, obvious choices:

1) Pier 39 at Fisherman's Wharf - Clam Chowder baby!

2) Alacatraz, which you will get to from Fisherman's Wharf

3) Golden Gate Park - variety of things to do there. You can take a tour or rent a car.

4) Presidio - great views - national park now, used to be a military base

5) A plethora of adult entertainment - strip clubs that you and Lisa could enjoy ;)

6) The trolly system - hop on and off at your will and it gets you all over the place downtown

7) Bay Bridge - gets you to Oakland. Yes, Oakland. Be careful where you end up and make sure you plan your route before you venture over the bridge. Doesn't look good when you have to pull over and start reading the map. :confused: Very interesting and right up Ave's alley.

8) Some world famous chocolate place at a major shopping center by Fisherman's wharf or if Fisherman's wharf. You'll see it. The chocolate is amazing.

9) Just wander the streets and check out the neighbourhoods. You'll recognize many from TV or the movies. Book a tour at your hotel.

Have fun. I sure as hell did. :D

abcd

Jun 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
if you want reasonable price food, food that is top notch, with hottest birds and always busy, go to Betul Nut on Union Street in Cow Hallow (That's the Marina District near Golden Gate Bridge and all the motels). Asian Fusion but the bird sightings is better than even Cactus Club Yaletown. Make sure you have 2-3 hours to spare.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
abcd said:
if you want reasonable price food, food that is top notch, with hottest birds and always busy, go to Betul Nut on Union Street in Cow Hallow (That's the Marina District near Golden Gate Bridge and all the motels). Asian Fusion but the bird sightings is better than even Cactus Club Yaletown. Make sure you have 2-3 hours to spare.
He's going with his wife but that should not be a problem. :D

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
max blink said:
Downtown Oakland is almost as nice as the nightlife in Richmond...
Max, you can't make those sort of statements. Keep Richmond out of it, you don't want to create a bad name for Oakland. Aves, go visit the neighbourhood where Uncle Joey and Uncle Jessie changed the Olsen twins' diapers :eek:

Take a trolley car for sure and if you get lost in the city, it's the best way to see it...trust me :)

abcd

Jun 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
if you are talking about Richmond,California which is just on the other side of Berkeley, it's way worst than O-town. Oakland is a lot cleaner than before but still rather be on the SF side at night. Only reason to got to the east bay is to see the Oakland A's play. (go to Pac Bell instead). There's a foam party night on that side too on Sundays.

If you are there for more than a day, buy a multi-day pass for the trolley cars and Bart.

If you want bars and clubs, head over to Folsom. Hot bar still is Ruby Sky (like Sky Bar here). And avoid any bars in Castro or any with the rainbow flag on top of it. With names like Studs and Chaps, you know where not to go. The original Ben and Jerry's store was there and they are know for the creamy vanilla. YIKES!!!!!

North Beach, Folsom, Marina and Embarcadero are probably the best bet for your drinking pleasure. If you want the cheapest place to drink, there is an irish backpacker bar at the north end of North Beach. Cheap everything from birds to drinks. Blondies bar is on the same street too.

check Craigslist.com, that's there most popular website for SF stuff

lean

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First,

Don't rent a car if you are staying in San Fran. Parking will kill you :( :eek: The trolly and Bart are the way to go and make sure you buy an all day pass!!

If you are going to leave San Fran for a day trip than you have two excellant choices: 1) go north over the golden gate and see wine country or 2) go south to Monterey and Carmel. Monterey has an amazing aquarium (even better if you can see it at night) and the whole area is great. Carmel has the 12 or so mile road (you have to pay) that leads to Pebble Beach.

Cool spot for a drink is the Dirty Martini near Fisherman's Wharf!!

Cheers, Lean

max blink

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC:

abcd is right, I was talking about Richmond, CA!!! not Richmond, BC or even Richmond, VA. Otherwise that would have been a very random knock on an otherwise very lovely, flood-worthy [suburb]. :)

max

I think Richmond, CA is the setting for that recent movie in which Samuel L. Jackson plays a b-ball coach who locks the gym doors and forces his team to study in the library. "Yo coach now I got dreamz" - that kind of thing.

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cheers for the tips everyone...pint in the nations cup beer garden if you introduce yourself.
I'll let you know how the walk about went in Oakland. :)

sing it Like only Tony Bennett could...

I left my heart in San Francisco
High on a hill, it calls to me.
To be where little cable cars
Climb halfway to the stars!
The morning fog may chill the air
I don't care!
My love waits there in San Francisco
Above the blue and windy sea
When I come home to you, San Francisco,
Your golden sun will shine for me!

:cool: ]