Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Authenticity in Canadian football getting taken to new levels

AFTN

May 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Authenticity in Canadian football getting taken to new levels

There’s a lot of things that piss me off with modern day football. This would be a very, very long article if I went through them all.

But a lot of my gripes boil down to one aspect that overrides them all – how money is sucking authenticity out of the game.

Now there’s no debating that money has changed football to an unrecognisable level to what existed 25 years ago. And it’s not all for the bad.

The game is now more accessible to fans around the world. You can sit in your house in Vancouver and watch matches from every continent, at many various different levels. From next season I’ll be able to watch every single AFC Wimbledon game live on my laptop. The production value of games is the best it’s ever been.

Money has created modern day football stars. Made the top players into brands. But money has created fake football. Authenticity is getting harder and harder to find.

There’s a lot of people and ventures and products who may claim that they are in it for the love of the game, to help promote the sport and generate discussion, but there’s a darker underside. A desire to promote their business, or sell their goods, or try and generate “free” advertising and interest in them via various means.

Let’s be honest. Football is a cash cow. It’s the world’s most popular sport. Billions watch it, billions are spent on it, billions are generated from it, and everyone would love to have a (bigger) piece of the pie.

I’m proud to say I started in the UK fanzine scene. The first paper issue of AFTN hit the streets in August 1989. We didn’t begin to make money. In fact we never broke even and lost money because we went for the maximum number of pages we could afford and shunned advertising.

We didn’t begin to cash in on a fad. We began because we wanted to give supporters (at East Fife) a voice. A chance to air concerns and opinions in the pre-internet world. It was a labour of love, as all ‘zines were.

The first line of the Wikipedia entry for what a fanzine is reads as follows:

A fanzine (blend of fan and magazine or -zine) is a non-professional and non-official publication produced by enthusiasts of a particular cultural phenomenon (such as a literary or musical genre) for the pleasure of others who share their interest.

So I was delighted when I first heard that Vancouver now had a new soccer ‘zine. A publication called MAJOR.

One of the people involved with it had shared the link on their Facebook page. One of his friends, then alerted me, and I was intrigued and looked forward to checking it out.

Billing itself as “A Canadian Soccer Zine”, MAJOR says it is “dedicated to showcasing soccer culture in Vancouver and Canada”. Sounded right up my street.

Their desire to end “soccer’s minor status in Canada” is a ridiculous condescending take on the sport here though. Oh and apparently “no-one’s talking about it” in Canada. Nope, no-one anywhere in this great land talking about football. Are these people even really football fans or are their heads in the ground and they’re living in a bubble?

The first issue, which is available to read online or as a printed hard copy in various stockists, is a glossy affair. A bit different to the photocopied stapled efforts of ‘zines from the past. But times have changed and we didn’t have access to fantastic desk top publishing apps way back then.

It looked good. Bright, vibrant, containing a couple of photo essays and featuring stuff on the Southsiders and Curva Collective, and how the winter had decimated the local amateur football leagues this winter. Overall an enjoyable flick, maybe lacking some substance, but it’s early days.

Then I saw the list of contributors and there were some familiar names on there.

Major-Zine-credits.jpg

The editor is Spencer Oakes. Maybe not a name known to many, but he works for the Whitecaps as a Creative Writer in their marketing department. Imagery by Lily Poon and Thalia Antonio, both of whom work for the Whitecaps as Graphic Designers. Design and Art Direction by Ian Giles, surely not the Contract Graphic Designers for the Whitecaps?!

Hmmm. So a glossy new magazine (this is so NOT a fanzine), primarily promoting the Whitecaps and the atmosphere at their games and the players you can see, produced by people who work for the club. Interesting. Especially since nowhere does it mention their affiliation. There is a thanks to Whitecaps FC, but nothing in it indicates that this is a Whitecaps production, so maybe my suspicions that this is a cheap underground marketing ploy by the club to drum up interest and tickets sales are unfounded. Maybe these people are producing the free, and without ads, publication from their own pockets for the love of the game!

Oh but wait, what does the tab say at the top – ‘MAJOR’ by Whitecaps FC!

Look, I have no problem whatsoever with the ‘Caps bringing out an official magazine. In fact it is long overdue. They should also go back to producing proper programs again. I want the club to get out there. Market more. Get more bums on seats and more interest generated. That helps everyone, including us at AFTN!

Just be up front about it. Be transparent. Don’t try and pass off a magazine as an authentic take on the Canadian game and the world of football in this country when it’s not that. And don’t call it a ‘zine. I find that personally offensive. You don’t understand the ethos of ‘zines.

If MAJOR is what it is claiming to be then I look forward in issue 2 onwards to the articles on TSS Rovers, Victoria Highlanders, and Calgary Foothills PDL seasons, the Provincial Cup, and lots and lots of articles on the Canadian Premier League and how good it is going to be for the development of the game here, even if that may take some support away from the Whitecaps!

A truly genuine football magazine that aims to be “showcasing soccer culture in Vancouver and Canada” and aiming to “uncover Canada’s passion for soccer” would be doing just that! If these don’t happen then MAJOR’s authenticity as anything more than a Whitecaps marketing tool has been confirmed.

So when is a ‘zine, not a ‘zine? I guess we may just find out.

Read Further on AFTN.ca

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I dunno, as soon as I opened it, it was obviously a WFC production.

Good looking, actually, but I have no interest in reading biased writing, we get enough of that on their website.

That is why this place is really quite good, and I'd even say vital to the amateur footballing community. This is the only place where players / fans can truly express themselves without facing severe repercussions from the owner (hell knows I've pushed @Regs buttons, LOL).

I would also argue- and keep arguing- that it's the only space really giving attention to the local leagues. Yes, it's because it's essentially player run and moderated, but still. That's why it absolutely baffles me that the VMSL, FVSL, and VISL don't actually actively promote it within their league. It's very simple, write a match report, and let the comments roll in. Hell, you'd be hard pressed to even know the FVSL Premier division existed this past season. They don't do their own game reports, reply strictly on Twitter, and just sort of expect the local community knows about them. Doesn't work that way. Had the FVSL not had such a strong showing at Provincials this season, NOBODY outside the two leagues would have known they exist. An Administrator at the FVSL (who's name is withheld, because he likes to carry a big stick and threaten going to big brother every time his name is brought up) is quick to point out how shitty a site TTP is, yet, he's always reading it, and occasionally posting here when he can't take it anymore. Yeah, I can see why it's shitty for him, it's because he takes the most heat- some of it justified, a lot of it not. I say that in all absolute honesty, I really think the FVSL Admin team has done a great job, and it's that one guy who leads it. But it's the antics of the Administrator off the pitch that have given him a bad reputation, which has followed him ever since he came into the league. I'll also get a text today I'm sure from the FVSL President, who claims never to read this site anymore, and that the site isn't followed by anyone, and isn't relevant. Yet, in the three Provincial Cup matches I went to watch this year, I bumped into guys I hadn't seen in literally years, and guess what? All conversations lead back to TTP. Usually it is to do with something I wrote, most of the time laughing about something, sometimes they don't agree with me (@lfc4 never agrees with me, yet will spend all day texting me about it, but not a single post), but pretty much 99% of the time the conversations end in laughs. That is, except for that one time a guy who took exception to something I wrote threatened to knock my teeth in.

That was awkward.

TTP is unique and still relevant, and it's relevant because of the unbiased honesty of the posters. At one time (2002-10 ish), it was extremely relevant, and just as entertaining. Other social media sites have popped up to distract attention away, plus I truly feel guys are weary of posting for fear of it coming back to bite them in the ass. I also enjoy the Southsiders forum, but it's a totally different vibe. The posters there are, for the most part, extremely knowledgeable on the ins-and-outs of professional football, on the roster sides. What is happening, etc. I'd say they are not nearly as knowledgeable on the actual intricacies of the game itself, inside the lines. It's mostly written from a fan's point of view, whereas I have always loved TTP because it is written from a player's point of view. Either way, both are very good because they offer an outlet to their communities. I still find TTP to be the most overall well educated football forum in BC.

@GoF and your writers, keep posting here. Sometimes you'll hit a note, sometimes not. My feeling is that mostly guys are being respectful because you are new, and the writing is very good. Over time, guys will get to know you, and before long, you'll have someone threaten to knock your teeth in for something you wrote. That is, if you are doing it right.

Winkie emojie.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, also...just a suggestion for @GoF, it'd be cool if your articles had signatures from your writers, so we knew who contributed. Either a TTP handle or real name, I don't really care, but a TTP handle will allow guys to engage them.

Real names allow people to hunt you down, and offer free dental work.

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, also...just a suggestion for @GoF, it'd be cool if your articles had signatures from your writers, so we knew who contributed. Either a TTP handle or real name, I don't really care, but a TTP handle will allow guys to engage them.

Real names allow people to hunt you down, and offer free dental work.

The articles on the site has the writers names on it, but TTP lifts the articles automatically via the feed and then posts them in the appropriate sections and unfortunately it doesn't pick up the writer. I can maybe try and add initials at the end.

99% of the local stuff (VMSL, TSS, college) will be me. The rest of my team have an interest in it but not to write about it. They pretty much just do Caps stuff. The numbers of reads though has been excellent. Often surpassing our MLS stuff and pretty much always more than the USL stuff. Shows you that there is definitely an interest in the local game, even if it is players sharing it on FB and twitter for their friends to read! They're reading it, that's the main thing. Even if folk weren't reading the stuff, I'd still do it as I love it and ultimately I do most of the stuff for myself haha

Canucks4Ever's previews have been a fantastic addition and we aim to include them more next season.

I've told the FVSL guys, send me a weekly report and some photos and I'll put stuff up. Both them and VMSL could do so much more to help promote their league. Like trying to get all the Prem clubs to have active twitter account. Club Inter are fantastic with their stuff. Engage the local fans to come out on a Friday night.

I want to get a banner for TTP up on AFTN to direct more folk here too. Just haven't gotten round to doing that yet. I love the banter and chat here. Miss Soccer Coach though.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't get behind tweeting, I spend too much time here as it is. But yeah, the local clubs and league could all be doing so much more with minimal extra effort.

When Azzie was writing his match reports, it always generated some very good banter.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WTF was the Pacific Cup? Why do I not remember this, was that a different name for the Provincials at the time?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0