Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Weekly Review Azzi's Superlative Week in Review 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
2010-04-26

PROVINCIAL CUP—QUARTER-FINALS

COLUMBUS FC - WEST VAN FC 3-2 PK’s: On Friday evening, at Ambleside Park in West Vancouver, the visiting ‘Italians’ edged the defending triple-crown champions—West Van FC—in a penalty kick shoot-out after the 120 minutes of regular and overtime play could not produce a winner. Columbus FC carried the play for a large part of the first half and had several opportunities to open the scoring. Very early in the match, veteran Tiarnan King saw his well-taken free kick miss the net by mere inches. Former Whitecap Steve Kindel provided great service from his left fullback position and set up several dangerous opportunities that forced goalkeeper Marco Durante to make a few excellent saves. At the other end of the pitch, Ryan Glanville came close to opening the scoring for the former Trollers but goalkeeper Thomas Lindley rose to the occasion and pulled off a great save to keep the game scoreless till the 40th minute of the first half. At this point, against the run of play, West Van’s Milad Rahmati found young Alan McIndoe just outside the 18-yard box with a clever pass. Without a moment’s hesitation, McIndoe converted Rahmati’s pass into the first goal of the match with a low, hard drive into the bottom corner of the Columbus net. Very early in the second half, Columbus FC equalized when captain Steve DeBlasio won a crunching tackle in the West Van third of the field. The ball squirted through to Kaz Kikuchi who skillfully controlled it before hammering it into the back of the West Van net with a left-footed rocket that gave Durante no chance whatsoever. Energized by the tying goal, the visitors continued to attack in waves and were rewarded about 10 minutes later when defender Blair Robertson whipped a dangerous cross into the West Van penalty area from the right flank. Kozo Manome then proceeded to slot the ball home for the go-ahead goal. Columbus’ second goal appeared to be the wake-up call that West Van badly needed as the home team took over the reins of the match and started creating numerous goalscoring opportunities. In particular, Thomas Lindley had to pull off a couple of brilliant saves on a header by former Whitecap Justin Thompson and a long-range shot by veteran Paul Dailly. With about 10 minutes to go in the match, Alan McIndoe tied things up by scoring his second goal of the match, this time on a header from one of Paul Dailly’s patented corner kicks. In the dying moments of regulation time, Columbus’ Kozo Manome nearly scored the winner but his thundering volley—from yet another great cross by Steve Kindel—rattled off the crossbar and out of danger. Both teams battled hard during the two overtime periods but were unable to break the deadlock and the result had to be settled by penalty kicks. Columbus’ Tiarnan King, Robbie Cairns, Tom McCole, and Kozo Manome scored from the penalty mark, while goalkeeper Thomas Lindley pulled off a couple of incredible saves—on shots by Alan McIndoe and Tim Perry—to send his team onto the semi-final round. Columbus’ midfield trio—Kozo Manome, Nathan Quan, and Steve DeBlasio—displayed an enormous amount work rate and contributed immensely to their team’s success. Target-man Kaz Kikuchi was a constant threat on the Columbus forward line and drove the West Van defenders to distraction throughout the contest. Columbus FC will now take on the Surrey United Firefighters in the semi-finals of the Provincial Cup.

SURREY UNITED FIREFIGHTERS - PORT MOODY GUNNERS 3-0: On Saturday, at Cloverdale Athletic Park, the heavily-favoured Surrey United Firefighters easily disposed of the visiting Port Moody Gunners by a well-earned 3-0 margin. The Firemen struggled in the first half and—even though they enjoyed plenty of possession—produced very few clear-cut goalscoring chances. The introduction of experienced substitutes—and former professionals—Niall Thompson and Jeff Clarke paid enormous dividends and proved to be the key to success in the second half. Surrey United started attacking in waves right from the opening second half whistle and came close to scoring on several occasions. In particular, Rizal Ganief, Niall Thompson, and Angus Burke all came very close to opening the score in the early going of the second half but all watched agonizingly as their shots barely missed the Port Moody net. Finally, at about the 60th minute mark, Surrey United finally broke the deadlock when Vince Stewart’s right-wing cross found Jeff Clarke in the middle of the penalty area. The former Whitecaps’ captain sidestepped a defender before slotting the ball into the corner of the net for what proved to be the winning goal. The Firefighters continued to press and scored the insurance marker at the 80th minute mark when Clarke returned the favour by setting up Stewart with a brilliant pass. Stewart then proceeded to hammer the ball into the top corner of the Port Moody net with a wicked drive from well outside the penalty area. The Cloverdale-based team rounded out the scoring near the end of the match when Rizal Ganief found playing-coach Niall Thompson at the edge of the penalty area. Thompson’s curling shot gave Port Moody goalkeeper Brent Godin not chance whatsoever. Veteran Steve McAuley and 17-year old Graham Spink played extremely well in the heart of the Surrey United defence, making life relatively easy for goalkeeper Drew Smiley as he recorded yet another clean sheet. For the Gunners, defenders Derek Wilson and Lukas Bennett—as well as goalkeeper Brent Godin and midfielders Kevin Comeau and Tyler Sayers—turned in solid performances, albeit in a losing cause. Surrey United will now face Columbus FC in the semi-final round of the Provincial Cup. The highly-anticipated match will take place on Saturday, May 1 at Percy Perry Stadium, starting at 3:00 p.m.

GORGE FC - ICST PEGASUS 2-1: On Sunday, ICST Pegasus travelled to Victoria for the second consecutive weekend, this time to face the VISL champions—Gorge FC—at Hampton Park. Unfortunately, the result was not as favourable as last weekend as the VMSL team was eliminated from the Provincial Cup competition as a result of a narrow 2-1 loss. The first half was evenly played with the home team taking the lead at about the 20th minute mark on a goal by Patrick Gaways. Pegasus bounced back and got the equalizer about 10 minutes later on a goal by Carlos Dhaliwal as he left-footed the ball into the back of the net after Adam Costley had flicked on a fine cross by Ryan Powell. In the second half, the Pegasus lads dominated proceedings and came very close to taking the lead on several occasions. Of note, Sahil Sandhu’s fine header just missed the mark by inches, while Ryan Powell’s powerful shot from the top of the box bounced off the post with Gorge’s goalkeeper well beaten. At the 75th minute mark, Gorge FC was awarded a controversial penalty kick as Pegasus goalkeeper Andy Singh was penalized for having pushed a Gorge forward while attempting to collect a loose ball inside the penalty area. On the ensuing penalty kick, Patrick Gaways made no mistake and scored Gorge’s winning goal from the 12-yard mark. ICST Pegasus rallied back in fine fashion and nearly tied the game up on a few occasions as Chetan Jhooty and Dave Morris were very unlucky not to score. Despite the loss, midfielder Adam Costley and defender Paul Bahia turned in superlative performances. Gorge FC will now face the Vancouver Thunderbirds in the semi-finals of the Provincial Cup.

TEAM OF THE WEEK: COLUMBUS FC for its excellent performance in defeating the triple-crown holders—West Van FC—on a penalty kick shoot-out after a 2-2 overtime draw. Led by some excellent defending on the part of Jonathan Poli and some brilliant goalkeeping by Thomas Lindley, the visitors fully earned their victory by shutting down the vaunted West Van attackers for most of the contest.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Columbus’ goalkeeper THOMAS LINDLEY for his amazing performance in his team’s penalty kick victory over West Van FC. Not only did Lindley make a few excellent saves during the match, but he also robbed a couple of West Van players—Alan McIndoe and Tim Perry—in the penalty kick shoot-out. For his brilliant performance, THOMAS LINDLEY will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of THE GOLDEN BOOT CAFFE`. The prize is available up to 2010-05-11.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
2010-05-03

PROVINCIAL CUP—SEMI-FINALS

SURREY UNITED FIREFIGHTERS - COLUMBUS FC 1-0: On Saturday afternoon, at Percy Perry Stadium in Coquitlam, Surrey United advanced to the Provincial ‘A’ Cup finals by virtue of a hard-earned 1-0 victory over Columbus FC. Columbus, led by the excellent play of forward Tiarnan King and midfielder Steve Frazao, dominated the first half of the game and only some excellent goalkeeping on the part of Surrey’s Drew Smiley kept the game scoreless until the halftime break. In particular, Smiley pulled off a couple of semi-miraculous saves on shots by Nathan Quan and Scott McEachern—shots that appeared destined for the back of the Surrey United net. The Firefighters, obviously inspired by Smiley’s goalkeeping, bounced back in the second frame and started to take control of the match. Very early in the second half, Lucas Barrett came close to opening the scoring—on a great set-up by Angus Burke—but his long-range blast barely missed the target. At about the 60th minute mark, second-half substitute—and former Whitecaps captain—Jeff Clarke played a nifty give-and-go with young Joseph Martin before racing in on goal. Unfortunately for Surrey United, Columbus’ goalkeeper Thomas Lindley denied Clarke the opportunity to open the scoring with a fabulous save. However, a couple of minutes later, the Firemen finally broke the deadlock when they were awarded a free kick from well outside the penalty area. Striker Rizal Ganief stepped up to the plate and hammered a superb low drive past the defensive wall and into the far corner of the net for the game’s lone goal. Columbus tried desperately to score the equalizer for the remainder of the game but some excellent defending on the part of Surrey United’s Steve McAuley and Jeff Skinner kept the vaunted Columbus attackers at bay. It should also be mentioned that the Columbus backline—composed of Scott McEachern, Jonathan Poli, Tony Gaita, and Robbie Cairns—played very well throughout the contest. As a result of the victory, Surrey United will now face Victoria Gorge FC in the Provincial ‘A’ Cup final. The game is scheduled to be played on May 16 at Royal Athletic Park in Victoria.

METRO-FORD JR. WOLVES - UBC METROPOLITAN 6-1: Also on Saturday, at Town Centre Park in Coquitlam, the heavily-favoured Metro-Ford boys easily advanced to the Under 21 Provincial Cup final by defeating UBC Metropolitan by an elaborate 6-1 margin. The Jr. Wolves took the lead at the 15th minute mark when Mladen Ljumovic converted a well-taken corner kick by Jovan Blagojevic into the opening goal with a near-post header. Near the end of the first half, Metro-Ford added to its lead when Blagojevic curled a free-kick from well outside the penalty area around the defensive wall and into the top corner of the net. UBC made things interesting midway through the second half when William Reed took advantage of a defensive Metro-Ford miscue and cleverly proceeded to lob the ball over the head of goalkeeper Dillan Fogliato. However, shortly thereafter, the Jr. Wolves restored their 2-goal margin as Blagojevic scored his second goal of the match on a great pass by Milad Mehrabi. With about 8 minutes remaining in the contest, Blagojevic completed his hat-trick as he took advantage of a fine passing play between Mladen Ljumovic and Sasha Vukovic and easily slotted the ball home from close range. Soon thereafter, Blagojevic added insult to UBC’s injury by scoring his fourth goal of the match on a fine individual effort that was finalized with a wicked drive from the edge of the penalty area. Just before the final whistle, Mladen Ljumovic converted Chris Locke’s brilliant through ball into Metro-Ford’s 6th, and final, goal. The entire Metro-Ford team played very well but special mention should be made of the solid defensive performances by Brendan Besuschko, Roberto Ramogida, Kia Mirzahossein, and Marcin Kostecki. Midfielder Vito Iacobellis also played very well throughout the match. Despite the lop-sided loss, forward Brandon Elsdon and midfielders Amiel Gonzalez and Paolo Urbina played extremely well for UBC. The Metro-Ford Jr. Wolves will now take on Bays United in the Under 21 Provincial Cup final on May 16 at Royal Athletic Park in Victoria.

WESTSIDE FC ‘M’ - COLUMBUS FC ‘M’ 3-2 OT: On Sunday morning, at Town Centre Park in Coquitlam, Westside FC qualified for the Masters’ Provincial Cup final by edging the unlucky Columbus FC by a 3-2 overtime margin. The Westsiders outplayed Columbus in the first half and fully deserved their 2-0 halftime lead. On the first goal, at the 15th minute mark, Pat Mallette beat a Columbus defender down the left flank before sending a low cross onto the path of Keith Moore who volleyed the ball home from close range. The second goal—scored at the 30th minute mark—was more or less a repeat of the first, albeit executed by different people! On this occasion, Art Dahl sent a low cross from the right wing into the Columbus 18-yard box, a cross that Markus Felderer finished off in fine fashion. The Italians came back with a vengeance in the second half and narrowed the margin at the 55th minute mark when Frank Lore took advantage of a defensive blunder and easily scored his team’s first goal. Columbus continued to press in a desperate search for the equalizer which finally came at the 70th minute mark, once again from the left foot of Frank Lore. Near the end of regulation time, Sal Cuccione almost scored what would have been Columbus’ winning goal but watched agonizingly as his unstoppable shot bounced off the crossbar and out of danger. Early in the first overtime period, Westside regained the lead when Boban Aleksic headed home a well-taken corner kick by Pat Mallette. Within minutes, Columbus was awarded a penalty kick for a handball infraction. Frank Lore failed to convert the spot shot as goalkeeper Mike Wicken came up with a fantastic save to preserve his team’s margin of victory. Defensively, Mike Mosher, James Prescott, Boban Aleksic, and Chris Walters had very strong games for Westside, while midfielders Keith Moore, Pat Mallette, Jason Small, and Art Dahl also performed very well in a winning cause. Westside FC will now travel to Victoria on May 16 to take on Delta United in the Masters’ Provincial Cup final.

TEAM OF THE WEEK: SURREY UNITED FIREFIGHTERS for their excellent performance in defeating a very strong and determined Columbus FC by a 1-0 margin. Led by the excellent defensive performances of veterans Steve McAuley and Jeff Skinner—as well as some brilliant goalkeeping on the part of Drew Smiley—Surrey United qualified for the Provincial ‘A’ Cup final as a result of the hard-earned victory.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Surrey United’s goalkeeper DREW SMILEY for his superlative performance in his team’s narrow 1-0 victory over Columbus FC. Smiley made a few amazing saves—particularly in the first half—to keep his team in the game. For his brilliant performance, DREW SMILEY will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of THE GOLDEN BOOT CAFFE`. The prize is available up to 2010-05-18.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
VANCOUVER METRO SOCCER LEAGUE

ALL-STAR TEAM—2009-2010 SEASON
OPEN MEN'S DIVISION

The following players have been selected for the 2009-10 VMSL All-Star team.

Goalkeepers:
Drew Smiley (Surrey United); Mathew Bird (Metro-Ford)

Defenders:
Brook Scott (Metro-Ford); Jonathan Poli (Columbus FC); Darko Jelic (Croatia SC); Stefan Leslie (Surrey United); Mark Gomes (Delta United); Leo Nash (West Van FC); Sam Wallace (Westside FC)

Midfielders:
Kozo Manome (Columbus FC); Vince Stewart (Surrey United); Johnny Sulentic (Croatia SC); Steve DeBlasio (Columbus FC); Paul Dailly (West Van FC); Reynold Stewart (Richmond FC)

Forwards:
Milad Rahmadi (West Van FC); Tiernan King (Columbus-Clan FC); Meysam Soltani (ICST Pegasus); Rizal Ganief (Surrey United); Tino Cucca (ICST Inter)

Coaches:
Niall Thompson (Surrey United) and Rob Reed (ICST Pegasus)

Manager:
Zarko Perko (Croatia SC)

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
How did Paul Bahia not make the squad? Reedie, what gives? :D

Our team was only asked to nominate players from our own team and of course I did nominate Paul. In fact, I made a note on our submission that he was our MVP last season. I'm not positive but I think other select teams in the league may have been asked to vote on players from other teams. I say this only because someone from a "high profile team" told me they voted for one of our players. At the end of the day, I think the league makes the final decisions on these selections, which is why it is absolutely stunning to see my name up there. Nevertheless, it is a great honour for me to work under Thomo, as he has beeen named the head coach and I am his assistant...I'm looking forward to heading into a very tough stretch of games against no one.

:knvb:

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Our team was only asked to nominate players from our own team and of course I did nominate Paul. In fact, I made a note on our submission that he was our MVP last season. I'm not positive but I think other select teams in the league may have been asked to vote on players from other teams. I say this only because someone from a "high profile team" told me they voted for one of our players. At the end of the day, I think the league makes the final decisions on these selections, which is why it is absolutely stunning to see my name up there. Nevertheless, it is a great honour for me to work under Thomo, as he has beeen named the head coach and I am his assistant...I'm looking forward to heading into a very tough stretch of games against no one. :knvb:

Too funny and too bad!!

I would love to see Abbott and Costello on the side together.

Niall - "Reedie, who's the cnut in goal?"

Reedie - "There is no cnut in goal. In fact there is no goal."

Niall - "Hmm. Positive I saw a cnut somewhere. Why are we standing here?"

Reedie - "It's just what we do. Apparently, we're pretty good at it, but you are just a bit better."

Niall - "Reedie, are we the only cnuts here?"

Reedie - "Yep. I can't see anyone, but let's just enjoy each other's company."

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Our team was only asked to nominate players from our own team and of course I did nominate Paul. In fact, I made a note on our submission that he was our MVP last season. I'm not positive but I think other select teams in the league may have been asked to vote on players from other teams. I say this only because someone from a "high profile team" told me they voted for one of our players. At the end of the day, I think the league makes the final decisions on these selections, which is why it is absolutely stunning to see my name up there. Nevertheless, it is a great honour for me to work under Thomo, as he has beeen named the head coach and I am his assistant...I'm looking forward to heading into a very tough stretch of games against no one.

:knvb:

Reedarello,

How come Peg only has 1 game this weekend when some of the teams have two?

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reedarello,

How come Peg only has 1 game this weekend when some of the teams have two?

Berginder,

Serbia is unavailable all of this Labour Day Weekend and we were supposed to play them on the Monday. We are, however, playing Serbia on next Wednesday, followed by Westside on the Friday. Yes, that's 3 league games in 6 days and I expect to see you at every one of them, as the newly crowned President of our supporters club.

:bronco:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0