Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BC Place Retractable Roof - MLS Possible?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So it was announced yesterday that BC Place is going to get a retractable roof that is translucent - cool!

Not cool however is that there is the political will to get this done and complete in the next 18 months. Apparently the government is going to kick in some funds and plans to build commercial towers on the westside of the stadium to help fund the project.

Will Kerfoot make a decision to get a lease in place for 2010/11?

Could MLS even come here WITHOUT Kerfoot and the Whitecaps? I ask because if you remember when MLS was visiting here last, there were reports that they were speaking with (or met) 2 groups in Vancouver.

If the Whitecaps were somehow shut out of MLS, would you support a MLS team in Vancouver?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, don't think there is enough soccer support here for both MLS and Whitecaps.

A MLS team not affiliated with Whitecaps would be the end of the caps.

Playing soccer in the huge dome would also take away from the atmosphere. The dome is just to big.

The stadium Toronto FC uses is perfect. A stadium that size would also help the Leo's out. Look at the success the Aloutettes had when they moved to the smaller stadium at McGill. People are closer to the action, and it has a way better atmosphere.

Here is a idea, tear down that crap BC place, and replace it with a outdoor stadium. Sell the rest of the prime land to fund it.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Someone bringing in a MLS team wouldn't care if the caps ended, that's the point... does Kerfoot risk this?

For the dream to become a reality, he needs to get in NOW, you need to look no further than a quick drive down I-5 to see how this can work.

As for the dome being too big, I agree long-term but for a short 2-3 year lease and the roof being open, it could totally work.

Kerfoot needs time for the whole Waterfront thing to go through but he doesn't have enough time for the MLS window.

IMO, it is now or never.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whoever is bringing in the MLS if it is not kerfoot (Aqullini's/ Beedie & Gaglardi/ whoever) is going to have a tough time selling something other than the Caps to Vancouverites and Whitecaps fans especially. People still remember or have memories of loved ones talking about the good ol NASL days, the "Village" of Vancouver etc...

If the MLS comes to town it HAS to be the Whitecaps for me.

Dome is too big. Seattle Sounder FC will have a tough time selling all those seats at Qwest once the newness wears off, unless they are instantly successful.

We need a 20-30k all seater with a south terrace/beer garden...we need grass not turf, we need the BC Lions to stay the fcuk away! we need it and we needed it yesterday.

it would sell out every Saturday, even if it was just the USL D1 Whitecaps and not the MLS, if it is built downtown.

If the Caps gravvy train the BC Place roof thingy untill their stadium is built that would be cool, except the left winging bleeding hearts and NIMBY's would scream why do we need 3 big sporting facilities in Vancouver!? (BC Place, GM Place, Whitecaps Waterfornt Stadium)

I for one could see kerfoot behnd this whole roof thing, you never know...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I am the MLS and evaluating the best Candidate, Kerfoot is at the very top.

Assuming MLS sets a franchise fee, it comes down to the business model. The Caps already have the model in place and have shown they are committed to the game and community long term. Everything from the residency program, to the women's team, to the development of the brand name. It is all right there now.

When you are looking at investing in a business, you want the most bang for the buck. Let's say you want to be in the pub business. What represents the lower risk: finding a location, applying for a liquor license, renovating a shell from scratch, hiring the staff, and building a clientele from scratch

Or…

Find the mom and pop neighborhood pub. The sellers are looking to retire, or move into a different line of business. They own their own building, liquor license, furnishings, have staff in place, has several years of steady if unspectacular profit under his belt, and an established clientele?

Easy- you take option B, and you build on it. It is the safest and fastest route to success.

Kerfoot has put himself in a position where he is easily the best option in town- and I don’t care who the other suitor is. If you’re the MLS, you want LONG TERM SUSTAINABILITY with growth potential. The Whitecaps are that model. A true expansion franchise would require years and years of growth just to get to the point the Caps are now. Not to mention all the community bad will the new MLS franchise would inherit if they came into town and put the Caps out of business.

Best bet is to have Kerfoot in place as the MLS Franchise owner, and he in turn lease the new BC place short term while (hopefully) the Whitecap’s stadium gets built. That, or get into bed w/ the government, and refurbish the grandstands for 35,000 seats, and get them close to the pitch.

Dreams, dreams….

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You could never do that to BC place...

The only time the facility makes money is during the boat show or home show...you couldn't get the seats too close to the pitch..

What about conflicts between Lions and Caps? (does that happen?)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
In a perfect world, yes, the Waterfront stadium gets built - but that isn't gonna happen anytime soon it appears, so then what?

If Kerfoot doesn't at least have someone looking in to this, I would be very surprised.

BC Place as is, is a non-starter.

But with a state-of-the-art retractable roof? It is an ideal short-term MLS franchise getting venue...

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, let it happen and have Kerfoot behind it so we can get the Cap's into MLS and then build a waterfront stadium.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, let it happen and have Kerfoot behind it so we can get the Cap's into MLS and then build a waterfront stadium.

That has to be a record! 11 pleases.

Reminds me of when my girlfriend was two weeks late with her period back in the 80's and I was praying to God. I think I used 5 "please's".

And it reminds me of last night. I think I used 3 "please's". Only it wasn't God I was talking to. It was Mrs. Ballbaby.:rolleyes:

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
It would be great to have a MLS team here with Kerfoot as owner, but i think Bob Lenarduzzi would not be the right man to run the club. He has done a lot for soccer in BC and Canada but he would not be the man for the big leagues.

If we did get a MLS would the BC Soccer & Whitecaps still work with each other like they do now, Both the Mens and Womens teams seen to be looking for American players more than Canadians so why has BC Soccer even pretend to be partners

Just my 10 cents worth

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The MLS would come w/ import rules, thus requiring a certain quota of Canadians- like the Toronto franchise does now.

Bob Lenarduzzi shoulod still be involved, but perhaps as a President, not a director of player development.

Anyhow...

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Off topic...Regs- it about the avatar. Baby looks very frightened, like he's looking up at an alien starship.

WFT?

Anyhow, I found the Province column to be very original and refreshing, and I hope it helps generate discussion.

Did I say original?

FriendsofSoccer

Apr 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don Garber has said that Vancouver will not get into MLS until it has resolved it's stadium situation. If it's not the Whitecaps, it's hard to see how someone else can solve the stadium issue faster.

BC Place even on a short-term basis is a huge risk. I just got back last week from a MLS roadtrip and saw the best a big stadium can be (RFK for D.C. United) and the absolute worst it can be (Giants Stadium for Red Bull NY). And then I saw Toyota Park outside of Chicago, and neither one holds a candle to it. In fact, if the Chicago Fire built it anywhere near downtown, they'd need a 35,000 seat stadium by now. Trust me, when this thing gets built people will think of this stadium as the North American palace for the game.

Bill Currie

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When Don Garber said that, I bet he had no idea that BC Place was getting a major overhaul.

I believe it was also Garber that said he met with 2 groups when he was here in Vancouver?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BC Place as is, is a non-starter.

But with a state-of-the-art retractable roof? It is an ideal short-term MLS franchise getting venue...
I should make this my signature, but first need to send a paypal request - anyone know Kerfoot's email addy? :D

Big presser tomorrow, MLS here comes Vancouver!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It sure is...I have mixed feelings about this as discussed here and elsewhere...nonetheless MLS is starting to look like a more achievable end result which is 100% good.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0