Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BC Place Retractable Roof - MLS Possible?

Johnnie Monster

Apr 9, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Something's afoot....

New roof for BC Place may be announced tomorrow
Vancouver/CKNW(AM(980)

5/15/2008
The Premier has called a news conference for tomorrow morning and it’s believed he will talk about the government's choice for a new roof on BC Place stadium.

The government has been considering building a retractable roof in time for the 2010 Olympics for several months, however critics worry it would become a financial boondoggle because of the tight time frame.

Both the BC Lions and the Vancouver Whitecaps have been invited to tomorrow's news conference.

The Lions say they have no idea what it's about.

Last week the Whitecaps told CKNW they’d consider playing in BC Place with a new retractable roof if it would improve their chances of landing a Major League Soccer franchise.

That's the league David Beckham plays in and it’s the top league in North America.

It is also possible the Premier will announce a project to build a retractable roof, but that would happen after the Olympic Games are complete.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Something's afoot....

New roof for BC Place may be announced tomorrow
Vancouver/CKNW(AM(980)

5/15/2008
The Premier has called a news conference for tomorrow morning and it’s believed he will talk about the government's choice for a new roof on BC Place stadium.

The government has been considering building a retractable roof in time for the 2010 Olympics for several months, however critics worry it would become a financial boondoggle because of the tight time frame.

Both the BC Lions and the Vancouver Whitecaps have been invited to tomorrow's news conference.

The Lions say they have no idea what it's about.

Last week the Whitecaps told CKNW they’d consider playing in BC Place with a new retractable roof if it would improve their chances of landing a Major League Soccer franchise.

That's the league David Beckham plays in and it’s the top league in North America.

It is also possible the Premier will announce a project to build a retractable roof, but that would happen after the Olympic Games are complete.

It's odd to invite the Whitecaps I would think, unless they are announcing that MLS is coming to Vancouver to play in BC Place with it's new roof until the now approved Kerfoot stadium is built. I'm sure that's what will happen tomorrow.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you guys just picked up the phone like Dude, you wouldn't need to be in the dark about this :rolleyes:

:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Listening to the presser right now...

Whitecaps are signing a 5-year lease to begin playing in the refurbished stadium in 2011.

Guess the Waterfront Stadium is miles and miles away!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We don't know the details of that lease Regs.

It could be a "sweetheart" deal drawn up by the BC Government as a concession to Kerfoot. We don't know what went on behind closed doors. If I were Kerfoot- sitting here offering to build a world class facility w/ Private money in Vancouver, and hitting all the roadblocks I am- I am using this as leverage against the Province. The Province has a huge benefit to his private stadium plans, so if Kerfoot were to threaten to walk on everything unless the Province can help in any way, I'd expect this Provincial Government would help.

Maybe the only way they can "help" right now is by granting a 5 year lease at a bargain basement price, to house the Cap's, as well as no strings attached escape clauses. 5 years provides security for the Cap's, and if their new home is ready before that, then they should have no issue walking out on the lease.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But does that make sense for the Province? WTF do these renos for then if a major tennant is allowed to bolt so quickly?

Basically it then boils down to a $200 million expenditure for the Lions and help the Whitecaps land an MLS franchise - seems pretty expensive to me?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds like the reno was on the table before the Caps stepped in.

Again: we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. There is a massive value for the Province in Kerfoot building his waterfront stadium w/ Private money. Keeping him on board as an interested investor in the Province is very important. Personally, I see that 5 year deal as just a number. No way they’d enter that lease w/ out an escape clause.

Besides, this is, at the end of the day, a public asset. The Province needs to do what they feel is in the greatest public interest. If that means keeping the stadium, they needed this reno. I suppose the other option was to bulldoze it after 2010, but then that would have left the Lions in the cold. Agree or not, like the CFL or not, that team and league are very important parts of our local and national culture. I suspect the Lions’ Bobby Ackles was heavily involved behind the scene.

Exciting news, though!

barney

Jul 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What will the surface be if this deal is done. If it has the football lines, then it is bad deal for the real football game.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If an MLS team isnt here in 2011 - the atmosphere at BC Place for a Caps game will be smashing - 5,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium.:rolleyes:

Should have done the what they did to the "Kingdome". ..Blow the thing up and start from scratch.

Sandman

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0