Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCTF Strike 2012

SofaKingGood

Sep 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is a lot of "misinterpreted" info that the general public is being fed:
1) The teachers are NOT asking for a 15% increase. Its only 6% over 3 years, the other 3%/year is the same request as our MLA's passed for the rise in the cost of living. (As Susan Lambert said, "its negotiable')
2) As an educator and parent- I have never been so depressed as I have in the last 2 weeks. Bill 22 (which is the MAJOR issue) is turning our system into the American one. It is going to take away all of the rights in the workplace. Its going to force transfers, lay off teachers (especially the experienced ones who are making more than the newer ones), and create an environment where people gotta suck ass to the principal in order to keep their job. Ex. I probably won't do as much extra curricular next year because of the birth of my 2nd child this upcoming summer. If another teacher under Bill 22, who does more than me comes in, the Principal can black ball me and transfer me out and at the worse I could be laid off because I don't fit into the "school plan." Kids are going to suffer as teachers are going to be let go so "cheaper" teachers can be hired. What is happening here, is our PUBLIC system is being killed and we are doing nothing about it.
Ask Christy Clark how many kids are in her son's class at the private school he attends? Then ask her how many of those kids have special needs or any other learning impairment? I'd bet the numbers are low and most, if not all of the kids are very high functioning.
Tell her to come to my class where I have 3-4 high ESL kids, 2 that are Mildly Intellectually Disabled (MID), 3 that get Learning Support, 2 that are not "diagnosed" yet. That's half my class.
The mediator being appointed is a sham. He/she is being appointed by the govt but can only mediate on certain issues. 100%BS.
How is that a mediation process, how can Christy Clark and George Abbott go on tv and say, "thats what the teacher's wanted, a mediator."
the 6 month cooling off period wasn't just a random number they pulled out. It expires in Sept when teachers can lose momentum because they do not work in the summer because schools are closed and they are on salary. Parents are also on holidays as well.
3) BC's deficit? Read the budget carefully. Minister Falcon strategically put in our years current expense that BC owe $1.5 billion to Ottawa this year for the HST debacle. What they aren't saying is that the agreement b/w BC and Ottawa is that we owe them $300 million per year for 5 years with no interest. So he basically inflated the deficit by $1.2 billion for this year, because a lot of contracts are up and he is trying to say we have no money.
4) Supreme Court- in 2002 we signed a deal with the gov't that we won't take a wage increase, but instead agreed to hire more teacher because our classes were getting too big and too "needy.' They then ripped it up. 11 years later the Supreme Court ruled in our favor. Basically in Surrey alone, there should be approx 350 more teachers. They have saved $300 million/yr, which is approx $3.3 billion since 2002. Did our property taxes go down? Where did that public education money go? Did the system get a lot shittier?

It is easy to bash teachers and unions, but what today's government is doing is bashing the common person. They are banking on people "not knowing the issues." This province has become like the States. We often bash our Southern neighbors for their lack of "intellect," but we are not far behind, especially today's youngsters. These kids in the public system will not have a chance, just like in the States. The leftovers go to public school and have no future in general and the rest pay for private schooling and a chance for a decent life.
Standardized tests are obsolete and were used for the teaching methods of 20 years ago when a teacher would say open your book and read p.12-20 and answer #1-7 on page 21. That does not work for every child (but the govt is promoting personalized learning which teachers are already currently doing, but they haven't yet said what they think it looks like).

The States cannot fix their current educational crisis because they did what we are about to do 10 years ago. All of the good and experienced teachers are gone and they are literally hiring people off of the street because they are cheap and it isn't rocket science to tell a kid to open their text book and read and then do the question.

We are walking down the same path and I hope the public understands what Bill 22 means. We have letters of support from unions across Canada and educational groups from the States. There is a vested interest by all sorts of parties because this is about our future and the basic rights of a worker.

Debates are good, but please before you bash a teacher or the BCTF, find out what the issues are. A lot of media is one-sided and isn't the best source for info, that's what we tell our kids, to be critical thinkers and learners.

P.S. A true democracy ( a majority govt) is pretty much parallel to a dictatorship, anything can be handed down to the citizens.

Kill Bill 22

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fantastic reply. It is amazingly what people are saying when they only see that we want a raise because that is what the government is telling the public. Any good teacher will back up your comments fully. We want better learning conditions for our students and bill 22 is going to destroy that. We will end up using scan tron tests for everyone and take away any adaptations/modifications that certain students need. It will end up being that the "smart" kids do well because they can study for tests and others will suffer. It is sad to see that parents and the public want a worse system for their kids. Keep supporting bill 22 and your wish will come true! Teachers will become robots and school will become a factory for failure!

SofaKingGood

Sep 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can anyone verify what education level Christy Clark has? I know she graduated high school and did not complete her degree at SFU because she tried to be a bully then got what she deserved. But I can't find if she actually went on somewhere else.

PS- the key is to inform the public of Bill 22- I know that pretty much all the parents at our school are with us as they see their students struggling because of neglect. Other workers who I have met at rallies- police, firefighters, nurses, doctors, etc have pretty much been like WTF- how can they strip your rights and ability to bargain?
Georgy boy is pumping $165 million into the education system over 3 years. $30 million is the first installment then I can't remember how its structured for the next 2 years. Basically the way it is set up is that each district has to beg and plead why they should get a piece of the $30 million. The BC School Boards have said that just to keep afloat to keep up with inflation that they would need approx $170 million per year, but Georgy is giving a whopping $30 million.

P.S.- my last point for the night- the govt has said we cannot negotiate classroom composition, but has "promised" that we can during the next time. It could be legally possible for them to have as many students on a IEP as they would like in any given classroom.

Christy and George need to take a time out!

And I think George Abbott should have half of a nut and resign. The stuff he says on tv is way off and the Bill he is proposing is unethical and against human rights. Christy Clark has a bone to pick with the BCTF because she got beat in 2005 and "left politics to spend time with her family." If these grudges were left out of the picture, our PUBLIC system would be the best and there would be no need to spend thousands per year to send your kid to a private school.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, you are looking for 15 percent. This is a perfect example of the complete refusal to be honest about the situation on the part of the BCTF. IT is also the number one reason I would love to see the government take the Reagan approach to any teacher that wants to keep living with their head in the clouds...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ex. I probably won't do as much extra curricular next year because of the birth of my 2nd child this upcoming summer. If another teacher under Bill 22, who does more than me comes in, the Principal can black ball me and transfer me out and at the worse I could be laid off because I don't fit into the "school plan." Kids are going to suffer as teachers are going to be let go so "cheaper" teachers can be hired. What is happening here, is our PUBLIC system is being killed and we are doing nothing about it.

OK, Devil's advocate here, but what is the problem here?

What we need is more power in the hands of the school Principals to allow them to shape their schools and manage a budget, not less, and certainly not what you have now- a powerless administration.

If you don't fit the school plans, why shouldn't you be laid off? In any other walk of life (well, not any...most union jobs have too many hoops to jump in order to let go of poor employees), an employer can control who he or she wants on their staff. And why not? Is it about job security or having the best run schools and the best teachers?

It's very typical of the teacher mentality of job protectionism. If you are getting long in the tooth, and your salary is high by way of seniority, damn rights you should have to be on top of your game and in demand to keep your job, otherwise, yes...there are younger, cheaper, and possibly better teachers available to do the same job.

The sense of entitlement is pretty rampant here, eh?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dunno captain. You have a democratic voice within your union. Heck you could run for president of the bctf.
I get you don't agree with your leadership, how on earth tens of thousands would is not reasonable. Try to affect change from within. The Teamsters had a grass roots movement that changed the way union leaders were elected bouncing dozens of corrupt officials.

Good point, Canuckboy. There have a been a few phone calls made this past week about some of the 'threats' coming from above.........

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to agree with Regs.......all of the 'negotiating' has taken the government to the Bill 22. Do I like Bill 22? No, but what happened to the orginal 'negotiating' regarding class size/composition? That seems to have taken a back seat now and now the union is trying hard to push its' 'locals' to shove out extra-curricular activities(just received an e-mail this morning about that). Fortunately, they CAN'T impose any of their tactics they did regarding the POWERFUL:)rolleyes:) walkout this past week. It is still up to the individual(imagine that) to carry on with the school sports they have already started. We will be carrying on I hope for the sake of the student-athletes, other coaches do the same. Don't let people who don't coach after school force you into a decision that they know nothing about. It appears a lot of the people who are pushing for this don't coach and don't understand the importance and enjoyment involved with coaching kids at school. I understand there are teachers who go beyond their bell to bell routine and spend countless hours before and after school helping their students in Math and other subjects. This is a part of their enjoyment and to take this away from them is no different. It's the ones who are rushing to beat the kids out the door(I'm guilty of this on Fridays usually in order to beat the tunnel :D) that often come up with such 'tactics' in terms of 'bargaining'. NO ONE wins when extra-curricular gets taken away from the kids. Does anyone in this forum or any other TRULY believe that taking away the opportunity for kids to take part in these activities will help the government eliminiate BILL 22? Will it truly help give teachers the class size/composition they are requesting? And more importantly, will it help give me that three days bereavement I need when I lost my budgie and cat within minutes a few weeks ago? :(

And for the record it is 15% that has been thrown around all of a sudden..........sounds promising in the country of Fantasyland. I hear they give bereavement when you lose a household item such as a vacuum or washing maching. One day, I will save up and move there.

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, your the type of teacher that I would want in my kids school. Mine graduated 10 and 8 years ago respectively with great teachers like the one I think you might be. Both my kids were heavily involved in soccer and volleyball and the coaches/teachers were there everyday after school and enjoyed it ( Yale Secondary on the 90's ).

We need more like you and them.

My 2 cents

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also there seems to be alot of guys on here dissing the public school system. Its as much about how your children apply themselves as it is about the Instruction they get.

I am not a teacher nor am I in a union. I don't support this strike but I do think public school teachers do a good job!

eagles

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear that teachers are now going work to rule including no extra curricular activities. This means no girls high school soccer in the spring. Captain shamrock can u confirm this. A teacher with a masters degree makes about 82000 a year and receive 15 sick days a year and they can accumulate.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
"It is easy to bash teachers and unions, but what today's government is doing is bashing the common person."

Dear SofaKingGood,

Have you ever asked yourself how other people live in tis country? I am talking about those who are not working for Government and are not protected by big unions like BCTF. I wish you worked in a private sector, believe me, you'd appreciate more what you have right now as a teacher.

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
10 stat holidays, 2 weeks at xmas, 10 pro d days, 2 and a half months for summer, 2 weeks at spring......40,000 $ to work half a year is pretty good money

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear that teachers are now going work to rule including no extra curricular activities. This means no girls high school soccer in the spring. Captain shamrock can u confirm this. A teacher with a masters degree makes about 82000 a year and receive 15 sick days a year and they can accumulate.

Eagles, the DTA sent an e-mail out 'strongly encouraging' teachers to stop doing extra-curricular activities. We are carrying on with our girls team because this makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE and will have NO impact in terms of what the government will do with Bill 22. It is going to be up to each individual coach if they want to continue on. There will be pressure from the 'local' to stop EC activities BUT it is up to each coach to stay strong and remember why we coach.......for the kids. Go Devils!

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow so now they are really making the teachers look like the bad guy if they refuse to continue with coaching etc? I agree though that if they worked thru summer and Xmas,etc we would all agree with what you are asking for.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it odd that no teacher has much of complaint about not giving progress reports and not doing parent teacher interviews but when it comes to school sports they refuse to give that up. Would you feel the same way if it was the after school drama program getting axed and not the soccer team? The way I see it if it isn't about money like every teacher seems to say, take that off the table go after the real issues and make it a hard line. No extra curricular/no progress reports no anything. It sucks for this group of kids but sometimes there needs to be sacrifice for the greater good of the future. If teachers really believe in making change you need to band together.

I think athletes/sports people remember how important sports were/are in their lives and find it completely insane to take that away from kids. Nobody wants to do that but remember there are people in the government with kids that love sports too. Maybe that is something they don't want to see taken away either as they might have kids in there final year of high school sports. I know you see it as punishing the kids you are fighting for but what about the kids of the future.

I do think there does need to be some change. I don't think teachers deserve a dime more and quite frankly have it pretty darn good. But they need some more support to provide a better education to the diverse overcrowed classrooms.

SofaKingGood

Sep 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
One of the problems with Bill 22 is we cannot negotiate a wage increase, benefits, prep time or even classroom composition. What is there left to "negotiate?" The only thing left to negotiate is stripping our collective bargaining rights, seniority, transfers, etc which Susan Lambert is obviously is not going to agree with.
The 2 sides are way far off and this same story happens with every contract and nothing is going to get solved.

SofaKingGood

Sep 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I personally coach 2 school teams, intra-murals, Math Club, school tech team, Terry Fox Run Committee, School Run Committee (we do a 5km annual mini-marathon raising $ for Children's hospital), Science Fair committee, go to camp (2 nights/3 days), and I have a Walk to School Club where we meet every Fri morning and walk to school from a certain meeting point, and I was in the midst of setting up a cricket and ultimate team.
Regarding not doing any extra curricular anymore, this is the 1st time that I am in favor of not doing anything extra anymore. I love the stuff that I do and love sports in general, but I believe the reason why a lot of teachers are pulling out is because what we feel is the lack of respect shown from the govt.
This is a complex issue with obviously 2 sides to the story. But for me personally, this is the 1st time that I have got involved because in my view the govt is trying to destroy public education and the overall teaching profession.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0