Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bertie says cheerio

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Berti Vogts personal statement

Berti Vogts has resigned as Scotland manager, ending weeks of speculation about his future. Here is the full text of his personal statement.
With great reluctance, myself and The Scottish Football Association, and in particular John McBeth and David Taylor, who have been a source of great strength and support, have made a joint decision to close this chapter in my life at the helm of Scottish International football.

From my point of view, the decision has been made with a heavy heart as I have enjoyed my tenure at the hub of the Scottish Football Team and the warmth that I have experienced from the people of Scotland.

I must say that the major factor in this decision has been the disgraceful abuse that I have suffered, especially of late.

It has degenerated into a physical nature, especially on recent occasions where I have been spat upon.

This is not acceptable behaviour in a civilised society and I know that the vast majority of Scots will join me in my disgust at this act by a very tiny minority.

The abuse is something that people in public life must get used to, but now it is having a serious effect upon my home life.

I cannot sit by, as no-one would, to be involved in the abuse that I have to endure.

And it is this that has made this very hard decision inevitable.

But what these actions have proved has been the unacceptable power of the tabloid press to influence its readership.

The opinions expressed mostly by journalists with little knowledge of the game certainly had a great effect on some of the fans.

This is despite the input into the debate by influential "football people" such as arguably the most successful manager ever in British football, Sir Alex Ferguson, Graham Souness, a great Scotland Captain and the Manager who was at the helm of Rangers through a golden time, where they became a force to be feared throughout Europe.

I have also heard and read informed opinions of Scottish football greats such as Kenny Dalglish, Martin O'Neill, Alex McLeish and Tommy Docherty, who have enviable records in the game and are respected throughout football.

And I am grateful to my fellow international manager, Mark Hughes, for his analysis.

He is seen as the man who revived Welsh football, on an occasion to my detriment.

And only this week my predecessor, Craig Brown, entered the debate.

I must say that I thank him for his comments that from a man, who understands Scottish International football first hand, are most welcome.

But I know that the opinions that have been expressed by a section of the press are not those of the majority of the Scottish people.

The press have only expressed personal opinions.

But it is impossible to have any right of reply in reality.

In public life the media are in a position to make or break a person, and that cannot be justified.

I have to say that I have been touched by the unreserved support that my players have given me, especially my Captain, Barry Ferguson.

I was proud that they stood shoulder to shoulder with me, when it would have been easy to turn their backs. But when the going got tough, they stood firm.

I am really proud of them all and eternally grateful for that unity that I experienced both in and out of the dressing room.

Might I also say that it was not only I, but also the players who have been maligned by the press.

They deserve better. They have been proud to serve their nation and did so to the very best of their abilities.

I still have belief in my boys, all of them.

I know that in time, and given support, they will develop into the team of my vision.

They always gave their all, both for me and for Scotland. I could ask no more of them.

I take away fond memories of my times with these men, some who I saw develop from boys into men, when they were thrown into the lions den.

I also must give my sincere thanks to my staff and all at the SFA, especially my great assistant, Tommy Burns, whose expertise, professional input and loyalty can't be appreciated enough.

The support they gave me was always 100%.

It was not a job for them, but a cause to fight for, one they still believe passionately in.

I have made lifelong friends amongst my Scottish colleagues. They will never fade from my memories.

When my back was against the wall, I felt great strength from the staff that supported my efforts.

They all know who I refer to and they are always welcome wherever I may be in this World.

Good Luck Boys.

Berti Vogts

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Classy statement.

I'm not sad to see him go honestly.
His 'youth' experiments didn't work although we may not see the real benefits of this for a while - Who knows?
Maybe he didn't have a choice in this; I don't know there either.
Was the lack of veterans in the side the last couple of years because of them or him?

The bottom line is Scotland should be better and gaffers that don't produce should be replaced.

Tommy Burns going to take the job?

Has he been named 'Interim' manager or?

Ron Jeremy

Sep 10, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcuk off ya german cnut! :wa: :wa: :wa:

A very sad statement, but who the fcuk cares about 'I got spat on' he's lucky he didnae get a kick in the baws!

Bring on Gordon Strachan or Walter Smith but don't, under any circumstances give the job to that fenian cnut Burns.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
And next, fresh from the TTP Gutter.

Ron Jeremy said:
fcuk off ya german cnut! :wa: :wa: :wa:

A very sad statement, but who the fcuk cares about 'I got spat on' he's lucky he didnae get a kick in the baws!

Bring on Gordon Strachan or Walter Smith but don't, under any circumstances give the job to that fenian cnut Burns.

Ron Jeremy

Sep 10, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now that I know it bothers u, my opinion will be shared with a u regularly, it makes my day.............I hope your next movement is a shart!

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jeremy, PM with shite like that again and I'll post it, and you'll be banned.
If this was the wizard of oz forums, you'd be the lion before he got fixed.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would love to see Strachan take the job, but it looks like Smith is the frontrunner.

Ferguson backs Smith for Scotland

Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Walter Smith as the perfect successor to Berti Vogts.
The Scottish Football Association will meet on Thursday to discuss who will take over from Vogts, who resigned from the national job on Monday.

And Ferguson said: "He (Smith) would be the outstanding candidate as far as I'm concerned.

"You need somebody who knows what they're doing and Walter would bring a wealth of experience to the job."

The Man Utd boss continued: "I don't know what credentials are needed to do the job but it's a job that needs a lot of experience.

"He was my assistant with Scotland and here at Manchester United and he has also managed Glasgow Rangers.

"He would need to change the whole shape of Scottish football and radical changes are needed."

Smith is regarded as the firm favourite to take over, and was assistant to Ferguson at the World Cup in Mexico in 1986.

The former Everton and Rangers boss has been out of the game since a spell as Manchester United assistant last term.

BBC Sport understands that Smith would be willing to discuss taking over if he was approached by the Scottish FA.

He (Smith) would be the outstanding candidate as far as I'm concerned.

Sir Alex Ferguson
If he is tempted to take over, it seems almost certain Smith's long-time right-hand man Archie Knox would also play a part in the national team set-up.

Smith already has the backing of many pundits and fans, including former Scotland manager Craig Brown.

Brown said: "Walter is an outstanding candidate without doubt.

"He would be admirable choice. I spoke to him on Sunday and I got the impression he would take it. He was asking me about it and I was positive."

Former Chelsea and Scotland winger Pat Nevin thinks Smith would be a safe choice.

"The Scottish FA know he's done well in the past at Rangers, he's a good tactician and a safe pair of hands," Nevin told BBC Radio Five Live.

"It's possibly not the most exciting choice, but maybe we've had enough excitement over the past couple of years. We need a safe pair of hands.

"If you talk to the people who work in the game and have worked under him then you hear that his coaching is pretty good, he knows the game and he gets a lot of respect."

Former Scotland international Stuart McCall, who played under Smith at Rangers, also supported calls for Smith to be appointed.

"I think Walter is the right man for the job and I am sure that he would take it," he said.

"He is a very passionate Scotsman and it's not an easy job for anyone, but he will see it as a big challenge."

Former Scotland boss Tommy Docherty has warned that whoever takes over will have a tough job on his hands.

Walter has quite a bit of experience from his time as a club manager

Ex-Scotland star Arthur Albiston
"The next manager might be able to make a slight improvement - but the bottom line is the talent is not there," he said.

"Everyone is assuming that Walter Smith will get the job, and he knows Scottish football inside out as well as having a good knowledge of the game in England.

"He also has plenty of contacts - but he would not have the players if he took over.

"He did well at Rangers. He had quite a few Scottish and British players in his team back then. But it is all foreigners now, and that is the problem for the national team."

Former Scotland international Arthur Albiston believes a possible managerial dream team of Smith and Joe Jordan could be the way forward.

"Walter has quite a bit of experience from his time as a club manager with Everton and Rangers and Joe Jordan is also in that category," said Albiston.

"Walter has been with the Scotland squad before and Joe also has club experience and worked with Northern Ireland at international level a few years ago.

"I think the pair of them could possibly do a great job for Scotland."

Other candidates for the job include former Scotland midfielders Gordon Strachan and Gary McAllister and Vogts' assistant Tommy Burns.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tommy is the man for now.

Burns given temporary Scots role

The Scottish Football Association has appointed Tommy Burns as provisional caretaker-boss of Scotland for the friendly against Sweden on 17 November.
But Burns, 47, could step aside if a replacement for Berti Vogts is found before the friendly at Easter Road.

SFA chief executive David Taylor would not say who was on the shortlist of between one and 10 names, but he did admit that they were all Scottish.

"The matter will be progressed with due regard to confidentiality," he said.

Taylor stressed that no contact had yet been made with any of the candidates, all of whom are based in the UK.

BURNS FACTFILE
1975: Joins Celtic
1988: Wins league and cup double with Celtic in centenary season
1989: Moves to Kilmarnock
1992: Appointed Kilmarnock boss
1994: Takes over as Celtic manager
1995: Leads Celtic to Scottish Cup win
1997: Parts company with Celtic
1998: Appointed Reading manager
1999: Parts company with Reading
2000: Re-joins Celtic after spell as Kenny Dalglish's assistant at Newcastle
2002: Burns confirmed as Vogts' assistant for Scotland
2004: Vogts resigns and Burns takes temporary charge
"The appointment will be made by the board on the recommendation of the office-bearers and the chief executive," he stated.

"In the interim, Tommy Burns will take over all team affairs until further notice."

Burns admitted that he was proud to be taking over, even if only on a provisional basis.

"It is a great honour to be appointed coach of the Scotland team, even on a caretaker basis," he said.

"I will announce my squad for the Sweden game next week and will talk about my plans in more detail at that time.

"I would ask the Scotland support, who have been outstanding in the way they have stayed behind the team during a difficult period, to come to Easter Road in large numbers and give the players their full backing."

German Vogts was the first overseas coach to take charge of the national team and the disappointment of his reign means that his successor is likely to be a Scot.

Former Coventry City and Southampton manager Strachan has expressed his desire to become Scotland boss one day and appears to have the support of many members of the Tartan Army.

Former Rangers manager, 56-year-old Walter Smith, would be available to take charge immediately and it is understood that he would accept the role if it was offered to him.

But he has distanced himself from the position and appears to want a return to club management in the short term.

He has been backed by the likes of Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

And former Arsenal manager Bruce Rioch has said he wants the task of reviving his country's fortunes.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0