Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bobby Ackles RIP

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadian football builder Ackles passes away

Bobby Ackles passed away today of a heart attack at the age of 69.

What a horrific loss for his family, the BC Lions organization and the CFL.

This was a guy who started as the team waterboy while in high school and rose through the ranks of the club to GM. He left for the NFL when the stadium was full and came back here to restore the fan base and community interest when the team was getting under 20,000 fans. Last game had 33000 fans so he did his job.

He had a successful NFL career and was happily retired living in Las Vegas and taking art classes at the local college as he hadn't a degree.

One of his sons Scott has gone on to become President of the Stampeders after a stint as VP of the BC Lions and GM of Grey Cups 2004 and 2005.

I have never met the man but his love of the BC Lions and the CFL will not be forgotten by any who follow the CFL or the Lions.

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not a Football fam at all. BUt this lose is huge. from all acounts he was a great guy love B.C. and the CFL terrible terrible news.RIP Bob.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is a terrible loss. I am a member of the BC Lions Waterboys and met Mr. Ackles on numerous occasions. A very classy man and tougher than the biggest lineman. We have lost a tremendous person and a cultural icon.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
7 pm tonight - Sunday- on Team 1040 the Moj is doing a special on Bobby Ackles.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow!!! This is a huge shock!

A very interesting man who always had time to talk to a fan no matter how big or small! Always ready to give time to those that needed it!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Couldn't believe it last night...just turned on the TEAM hoping to hear of a new 'Nucks signing or at least pending presser. Then I heard the music the station was using coming back from commercial, and thought, who died? Moj was full value for all the class he showed, and I'm sure it must have been hard.

The man was a community leader beyond football. He saved football here, and maybe the CFM w/ spearheadiung the fight against the NFL moving to TO.

RIP to a great community leader.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sad day for the BC Sports Community and Community at large period.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Ackles 3 or 4 times with my former company being pretty involved with the Lions.

He was always very sincere and authentic...never ever came off as a Professional Sports "Big Shot"

And his career was so long and storied, so many accomplishments in his time from Waterboy at 15, to his Lions career, to the NFL, and then his return to the CFL and the return of the Lions to a top team and contender every year since his return.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The thing I liked about him was he was just like a normal person. Not hiding behind a suit or using rehearsed words everyday. Big time loss for the game itself.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts