Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bruce Allen Furor

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone see all the flack Bruce Allen is getting? I read his statement that he made on his "Sound Off" show and neither found them offensive nor bigoted. What does everybody think?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I googled and came up with this
Critics attack Allen's Olympics role
In his regular Reality Check radio comment on CKNW Sept. 13, Allen stated "special interest groups" expect rules for themselves.

"There is the door. If you don't like the rules, hit it," said Allen. "We don't need you here. You have another place to go. It's called home. See ya."

Added Allen: "This is simple. We have laws in this country. They are spelled out and easy to get a hold of. If you're immigrating here and you don't like the rules in place, you have the right to choose not to live here. If you choose to come to Canada, shut up and fit in. We are a democracy, but it seems more and more that we are being pilloried by special interest groups that want special rules for themselves."

Indira Prahst, a sociology instructor at Langara College who specializes in race and ethnic relations, said she was "shocked" when she first heard Allen's comments.

She also said Allen's subsequent appearance on Christy Clark's CKNW show last week would have been an opportunity to show his remorse at the comments. "He could have apologized," she said. "I think the people representing the Olympics should be culturally sensitive. I think there should be some very serious consideration about his role with the Olympics."

Allen, in a lively exchange with Clark, was unrepentant over his comments. He called the controversy "a bunch of crap dredged up by some people who don't get it. I'm not hate-mongering. I'm an editorialist. I hate people playing the race card . . . I make people think. That's my job."

Now I don't know the context in which he said it, or if it was instigated by a caller...but there is nothing wrong at all with his comments.

I am in no way a racist, nor am I apologetic or accpeting to those who are...But I agree wholeheartedly with what he said, and has always trumpeted to all those who would hear.

If I immigrated here as a boy I have no choice, as my parents move, not me....But I know many South Asian guys who have fit into society well in Canada, and have manged to keep thier Indo heritage important to them, and their religious stuff too...I'm not sure this is who Allen is referring to.

Allen's Boss:
CKNW program director Tom Plasteras said he doesn't think the program was discriminatory. He doubts Allen will apologize, and said the broadcaster is not considering firing Allen.

"From our perspective, I think it's unfortunate that so few people actually debate what he said as opposed to trying to muzzle him," Plasteras said.

Activist wants radio personality ousted

funny that the Sikh guy that is dredging this up and trying to lobby for Allens sacking was once a member of 'Sikh Vision'

I think that stuff like not wanting to remove religious headdress for Passport pictures and not wearing a helmet because of a Turban, are the easy topics to pick off that Allen may be referring to...But again, I haven't seen what Allen was responding to.

But he hits the nail on the head...the world is shrinking or global community is shrinking... I don't think this is an issue of intolerance or bigotry, I think Allen may be referring to an unwillingness to adapt and integrate by minority groups or special interest groups.

You didn't hear those bitches at the Swanky golf club lobbying for Allens head when he was carving them up over their Men only lounge is wrong campaign last year.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, for her to ask "Who is he to say we should go home" is waaaayy outta line and out of context. He said if you don't like it, you can go home.

Is this really an issue about Turbans or over sensitive people with nothing better to do than to drag someone down over this kind of stuff...Allen has always walked the razor edge...he is a good right wing conservative...:D

The always good and my personal favorite Shotgun Blog has weighed in
Western Standard

I especially love the comments under the entry...

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
he tells it like it is. nothing wrong with that.

No Gang murders or street race deaths to report :eek:

Nothing more than a slow news day on CHANNEL M.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Personally, I don't agree with Bruce Allen's sentiments, nor could I care what he thinks or says. That said, I don't feel what he said is particularly offensive or is hate-mongering and don't feel he should have to give up his spot on the Olympic bandwagon. A mountain out of a molehill, or as Polska said, a slow news day.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bruce Allen is a breath of fresh air in a pussified world of political correctness.

Can't see anything wrong with what he is saying tbh. We give so many people an opportunity in this country and a life way better than where a lot of them come from. So what's the problem with what he's saying? Too many oversensitive people out there that take way too many things personally when it has nothing to do with them.

I'd love to see him run for Mayor of Vancouver and sort that lefty circus of a council out.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd love to see him run for Mayor of Vancouver and sort that lefty circus of a council out.

If you think Sam Sullivan and his cronies are lefties then you seriously had better put the pint, crack pipe and bottle of glue down and have a word with yourself Dazza.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you think Sam Sullivan and his cronies are lefties then you seriously had better put the pint, crack pipe and bottle of glue down and have a word with yourself Dazza.

I said the Council, Dap.

The Mayor and the Council together don't exactly strike me as being right wing. Maybe right wing by Vancouver standards, but that's not saying much.

Anyway, aside from centre v right, Allen would at least get things done.

Sullivan only got in because he was the "best" option out of him, Jim Green and James Green (LOL)

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice to see the auld ingerlish redneck (Dazza) hasn't mellowed too much...

Usually the thing I find most offensive about Bruce Allen is the sound of his voice, and the fact that he still believes he was single-handedly responsible for discovering all the musical talent in Canada...:rolleyes:

Did he say anything racist? No. Stupid? Probably, but some people will jump at anything. I could probably wind all kinds of people up just by describing Regs as a practicing Homo sapien...:eek:

Bruce for Mayor of Vancouver? Never happen. The last time the city had somebody close to the same political stripe in power was Tom Terrific; the previous Campbell before Larry and Gordo. Bruce wouldn't run, either. He knows you can't get into office nowdays when you've been quoted on the air as referring to "pinkos." Beside that, he'd have to take a pay cut...

gotta go, I'm over my smiley quota...

Trece

XXX

Sep 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bruce Allen is a breath of fresh air in a pussified world of political correctness.

Can't see anything wrong with what he is saying tbh. We give so many people an opportunity in this country and a life way better than where a lot of them come from. So what's the problem with what he's saying? Too many oversensitive people out there that take way too many things personally when it has nothing to do with them.

other than the inflammatory tone.....whats wrong with what he said is exactly the same thing that is wrong with ur statement. the "rules" he was speaking of were, among others, turbans in the rcmp/on bikes. not all turban wearing men are immigrants. in fact, most are born in canada. generations of sikhs have been settled in canada. my great-grand father came here in the early 1900s. he wore a turban...and so did his son, as did his son. are all non-white people always to be considered immigrants. am i considered an immigrant even though my family has been here for a century? if i am considered a canadian (which i'm pretty sure i should be, probably even more so than u) shouldn't i be able to try and change injustices i see in my country, and not told to go back home if i don't agree with imperfect laws? afterall, the right of conscience and religion is a fundamental freedom granted to us in the charter of rights.

I do believe,however, that certain issues are public safety issues (turbans on bikes), and safety should be paramount.

guru

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Assumption that Allen is a Right wing conservative because he said what he said is ridiculous. I'm as left as they come, and I agree with 99% of what he says. Not just the most recent crap stirred up from this tirade.

The difference between the USA and Canada is this. The USA is a melting pot, and Canada is a Mosaic community. You immigrate to the US, and you're expected to adhere to all the rules, know the language and change to fit in. In Canada we're no more and no less multicultural than the US, but we are so "Politically Correct" it makes you puke! we bend so much to please all the groups (whether political, religious, gender etc) that we end up making more problems. Some "old boy" religious laws must change with the times, but when you mess with traditions you lose the very reasons people are attracted to Canada in the first place. It's not only the Turbans in the RCMP. The problem started first with the Mountie hat changing when women became common place in the RCMP and they were issued a smaller brimmed cap. Were 'known world wide for our mountie uniform, which includes the mountie hat, now there are 4 versions due to gender and religion.... this traditional uniform is now (in my opinion) no longer respected abroad. As for the helmet law, again, our Politically correct government doesn't want to step on toes, so safety now takes a backseat to religion. The problems years ago with the Legion and Sikhs not being allowed to wear their turbans inside is another. Not sure if I agree or disagree on this, because I'm not a member, and it doesn't affect me directly, I only bring it up because it's another tradition being dismantled. This is insane! We are now a laughing stock. Religion now collapses traditions which is the foundation on which countries are made and supersedes laws and safety! All this in the name of Political Correctness! What a crock! If you want to belong to a religion, fine, but like they did back in the early seventies when they removed religion from education in reading of the lords prayer. Religion is not fact, it's theory, being educated on theory is fine, but we can't accept it as fact, and it infringes on peoples rights to force it upon everyone in that form. Evolution was never taught as fact in school, it was taught as theory. (Even though if you have an IQ of more than 10 you know evolution is fact.)

Practice religion if you want. but it's a personal choice, and should never alter or supersede laws and traditions.

If I were Allen I'd resign from that fcuking moral majority Olympic committee sorority anyway. What a farce that is! We'll be paying through the nose in taxes for years to come from this mess trying to "Show off to the world"!

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few quick points:

1. Sikhs fought in all the world wars for the British government. Thousands of Sikhs volunteered to fight for European freedom. Why? Because they saw their fellow human being in trouble, and wanted to help, even if that meant fighting for a country that had colonized them. they had no obligation to fight, they joined on their own.

The majority of the Sikhs went to war wearing turbans, and fought with no helmets. It has been noted in historical texts that the Sikhs were some of the most bravest soldiers that fought in World War Two.

That is why they should be allowed in the legion, they went to war with turbans to help the commonwealth for no personal gain ,except to help out a fellow human.

2. If you don't like the way Canada is, then you should get the hell out. I always laugh at all these right wing rednecks who say immigrants are changing this and that. How many time has a Sikh person come to your door and asked you to convert to Sikhism? How many time has a Jehovaws(sp?) witnesses come to your door asking you to convert?

3. The Sikh Temples around the Lower mainland have a open door policy for homeless people, and provide free food everyday to any person that needs it, regardless of religion. When the kelowna fires happened, a historical railway was damaged. The surrey Sikh Temple donated $100,000 to fix the railway, the largest religious donation. Every year, the Canadian flag leads the annual Sikh parade in Vancouver. Sounds like a bunch of people who are trying to change Canada.

4. Want to know why you can't say Merry christmas? Don't blame it on the Sikhs. Sikhs celebrate christmas, and all holidays. You can go trick or treating at a Temple. Many even put up christmas lights. All my family puts up Christmas trees. All my cousins and I were in school christmas plays. Sikhs respect all religions and faiths. if you want to know why you can't say Merry christmas, the biggest relgious groups lobbying against it is are the Jewsish and Jehovaws witnesses.

5. Any person born in this country is a Canadian. Thus, they have the right to challenge any law they deem unfit. If people like Bruce Allen don't like it, they should get the hell out. Guess what, Cry all you want about Sikhs and the changing laws. There is nothing you can do about it, the majority of us were born here, and have a long history. if you don't like us challenging laws, then you should get out.

Bottom line is that the government is what allows for these changes to happen. The government is elected by the majority of people in this country. Thus, those who come on and bitch and whine should try and get someone elected who thinks like they do.

Good luck with that, given that the majority of Canadians don't think like Bruce Allen.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
P.S LOL at Guru calling himself "as left wing as they come."

Do you even know what being left wing means?

Left wingers are open to change, hence why they are not conservative(right wing), who are not being open to change.

You are not open to change guru, so stop calling yourself as left as they come.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
"The Sikh Army fought in every major operation during World War I. Letters home from soldiers on the Western Front offer extraordinary insight into their feelings about the conflict and impressions of European culture. In the last two world wars 83,005 Sikh soldiers were killed and 109,045 were wounded. They died or were wounded for the freedom of Britain and the world and during shell fire, with no other protection but his turban, a symbol of the Sikh faith."

XXX

Sep 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The problem started first with the Mountie hat changing when women became common place in the RCMP and they were issued a smaller brimmed cap. Were 'known world wide for our mountie uniform, which includes the mountie hat, now there are 4 versions due to gender and religion.... this traditional uniform is now (in my opinion) no longer respected abroad.

As for the helmet law, again, our Politically correct government doesn't want to step on toes, so safety now takes a backseat to religion. The problems years ago with the Legion and Sikhs not being allowed to wear their turbans inside is another. Not sure if I agree or disagree on this, because I'm not a member, and it doesn't affect me directly, I only bring it up because it's another tradition being dismantled. This is insane! We are now a laughing stock. Religion now collapses traditions which is the foundation on which countries are made and supersedes laws and safety! All this in the name of Political Correctness! What a crock! If you want to belong to a religion, fine, but like they did back in the early seventies when they removed religion from education in reading of the lords prayer. Religion is not fact, it's theory, being educated on theory is fine, but we can't accept it as fact, and it infringes on peoples rights to force it upon everyone in that form. Evolution was never taught as fact in school, it was taught as theory. (Even though if you have an IQ of more than 10 you know evolution is fact.)

Practice religion if you want. but it's a personal choice, and should never alter or supersede laws and traditions.

If I were Allen I'd resign from that fcuking moral majority Olympic committee sorority anyway. What a farce that is! We'll be paying through the nose in taxes for years to come from this mess trying to "Show off to the world"!

Guru....it actually hurt reading ur post...where to start? First, I'd rather Canada be known for its democratic processes and acceptance of all people regardless of race, religion, sex or attire, than the mountie uniform.

Second, the legion issue...turbans didn't seem to be a problem when countless Sikhs fought and died for and beside Canadian and British soldiers....but no turbans in the legion!

Third, this is not a debate about religion vs. science.

Finally..as for religion not superseding laws...please refer to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0