Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Burnaby BCSPL U16 Roster includes 14 PTP players.... bad for the league?

Pheuty

Apr 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mountain United has posted their BCSPL rosters now. The U16 Boys team has 14 provincial players on the team. What a joke.

This will destroy the league - it will defeat the purpose for creating it in the first place.

In high school sports there a rules that determine who can play where. If you want to join a team that is out of your 'catchment area' then you get red shirted and are ineligible for league and championship play for a year. Red shirting also takes place in Collegiate and University sports. It is a rule to prevent stacking - to ensure that jurisdictions are balanced. If you switch to another team the penalty is a year of ineligibility.

In professional sport we see more and more salary caps in place - to prevent an imbalance between jurisdictions. For the survival of the league. To ensure that all franchises are viable. How could the Flames or the Oilers compete with large market teams like New York & Los Angeles without salary caps?

I don't believe that 14 provincial team players are in Burnaby by accident. It is far too coincidental. I also don't believe they are in Burnaby because the program is just that much superior to other programs being offered in other jurisdictions.

Maybe it was the letter that was sent out by BC Soccer to PTP players? Maybe the players were in collusion to play together to kick everyone's ass. You know, like Le Bron, Wade and Bosh?

Either way... it's not good for the league and if this is what we are going to see taking place then what is the point?

I don't believe this is good for the health of the league...
Burnaby

between the pipes

Aug 18, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
The best thing is 5 of those PTP committed to Vancouver-Richmond, then two days later they go back on their word. After calls from the Burnaby coach.... Would love to know what was said to this young players to make them back out on a commitment they gave. I guess integrity it not something we want to teach young men anymore. Oh well it should be interesting when some of those players join the residency program or when NTC comes calling on a cup weekend!! Karma always comes back to bite you!!

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
One coaches PTP player is another coaches cut.

A few seasons ago the U16 PTP program played against the Coastal FC SYL U16 Boys program and lost 3-1. I believe the U15 PTP also played the Abbotsford SYL U15 boys and tied 1-1.

The coastal and Abby players had all been looked over for PTP. Good coaching, hard work and team play will often do more than talent. All of the pressure is on these "stacked" teams and their coaches to perform. If they are not getting the results you may see some significant change on those teams come 2012.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow. One of the best new rules to come out of this HPL initiation (out of what I thought was a poorly planned, rushed concept) is the removal of boundaries, yet that's the one thing parents are bitching about the most. Wake up and look at the big picture- if out of district kids are taking club players spots, then it is on the club to improve the development. This is what we WANT!

So sick of hearing parents bitch and moan about their kids soccer careers. It really is stupid.

Don Taylor

Mar 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mountain United has posted their BCSPL rosters now. The U16 Boys team has 14 provincial players on the team. What a joke.

This will destroy the league - it will defeat the purpose for creating it in the first place.

In high school sports there a rules that determine who can play where. If you want to join a team that is out of your 'catchment area' then you get red shirted and are ineligible for league and championship play for a year. Red shirting also takes place in Collegiate and University sports. It is a rule to prevent stacking - to ensure that jurisdictions are balanced. If you switch to another team the penalty is a year of ineligibility.

In professional sport we see more and more salary caps in place - to prevent an imbalance between jurisdictions. For the survival of the league. To ensure that all franchises are viable. How could the Flames or the Oilers compete with large market teams like New York & Los Angeles without salary caps?

I don't believe that 14 provincial team players are in Burnaby by accident. It is far too coincidental. I also don't believe they are in Burnaby because the program is just that much superior to other programs being offered in other jurisdictions.

Maybe it was the letter that was sent out by BC Soccer to PTP players? Maybe the players were in collusion to play together to kick everyone's ass. You know, like Le Bron, Wade and Bosh?

Either way... it's not good for the league and if this is what we are going to see taking place then what is the point?

I don't believe this is good for the health of the league...
Burnaby

LOL..

Cant wait for the 3 sets of parents to start bitching on why thier kids aint starting for the U16 Boys...

Pheuty, Stacked teams wont work for long @ MU.

Let them figure it out..

The kids will get it ... they want to play..

what are the transfer rules anyway?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This was the best...

Comparing a professional league of the best players of their sport in the world, in a country that produces the best players in the world, in a Province in the country that can currently afford to buy the best players in the world if they were allowed to (i.e.: no cap), to...

Kids soccer, in a country that currently struggles to produce any of the best of their age worldwide. Not to mention the league was watered down in talent last year, the problem was identified, and now- in concept- the best players should rise to the top.

Oh wait, instead of a salary cap, it's a competition between parents to see who has the thickest wallet.

It's all a joke, really, but when parents start bitching about it being too competitive, they really have lost the plot. When will they learn that it's best to just shut up and silently watch their kid play the game?

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Food for thought:

CMF has just won the '96's Metro Cup (U16B) and they have ZERO PTP players.
Victoria were runners up, also ZERO.

If we look at league standings, Richmond with 4 PTP players ended up 11th, Burnaby (4 PTPs) were better and finished 3rd but 15 points behind CMF (in 2nd), North Fraser (2PTPs) finished 6th (30 points behind CMF). Abby (3PTs) is the exception ending 1st (3pts ahead of CMF) but they are a mostly 95 team and competed in the A Cup (lost second round).

As a parent of a U16 boy not in MUFC, I'm not worried and very interested in see what this next season will bring.
IMHO, there's no upside for MUFC, if they run away with the league everyone will discount it and say they did nothing other than expected. But if they struggle...Now, that will be funny and it will leave MUFC and BCSA with a shiny black eye in regard to their acumen in player selection....

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just in reading all of the posts, at first it was said the the PTP players weren't the best anyway, because of prohibitive cost to some players etc. Now, teams that have the PTP players are being slammed as "stacking" their teams. If the PTP players weren't the best in the first place, will it really make a difference to have them on one team?

Harry Callahan

Apr 19, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Many valid points made...

I think the concept of having more of a focus on developing our elite players is sound. Having a league where the top player compete with and against other like players is also good. I think these types of issues and others will eventually be addressed as required. For me the questions always go to motive. Does an amature coach go to a club he supports or does he go where they pay most? Does a player choose to play for a team he wants to really be a part of long term, or where he thinks he has the best chance of winning?

Teams, players, coaches and many of these issues will come and go. We have all seen them in the past and will likely continue to see them down the road. Teams have long tried to stack their way to success and many have failed. Knowing many of the players and parents involved, I think this team will under perform and rot from within. Dont be too surprised to see many of these players leave for other clubs after the initial 3-month season. My son is not getting enough playing time, The drive was just too far, we dont agree with the coaches direction etc...

Rather than teaching our kids how to make decisions based on short term, instant gratification, I say just stay the course and while trying to help them develop technically, also try to teach these young players how to be better team players and solid young men along the way.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW, Pheuty, that's the second thread you initiate to bitch over team stacking.
It seems this is something dear and close to your heart but IMHO you are overly preocupied about this.

So, a team is full of PTP players and (you fear) they'll run away with the league. So what?
Your kid and mine will still develop elsewhere and, BTW, it will be a bigger challenge for everyone else to go against the Big Bad Boys in town.

Actually, I'm looking forward to it, it'll be lots of fun staying in the sidelines and watch 7 teams trying to beat the living crap out of the 8th one. And you can follow them up week after week, wondering if/when they will implode. Think about it, it'll be almost like cheering against Real Madrid.

Can it get more fun than this?

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
20 player roster, 14 PTP players (28 PTP parents!), $2900 per, 11 on the field at once-- pity the poor coach.....

Pity the coach? Nah. Most of the time, they get what they deserve. There are some very good recruiters out there. If he is a good coach and they migrated to him, then he holds the hammer.....and he can likely handle the egos and situation. If he is someone who recruited and established the migration to his team, well that is a flaw in his/her character and there is a good chance he/she will fail. Price tag added to this equation certainly makes it interesting BUT a good coach and communicator will handle it.

Speaking from experience (I love how I can say this), the players who have had the greatest success in the Canadian amateur soccer endeavours have not been who you think and they have not come from nomadically established teams with a strong roster on paper.
They have come from stable environments with consistent messages. They have come from knowing where they stand in the heirarchy of their team, what makes them important to their team, what makes them less important to their team, with limited emotional distractions. They are level-headed players, confident players, and secure with their insecurities. They DO NOT have to keep up with the Jones'.

Can't comment on the Burnaby situation but I do know that at some of the other age groups at other franchises, some coaches and technical staff have given themselves some of the biggest headaches they will ever experience. They will not be able to handle the mess they made. Oh well. No pity. Get on with it.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking from experience (I love how I can say this), the players who have had the greatest success in the Canadian amateur soccer endeavours have not been who you think and they have not come from nomadically established teams with a strong roster on paper. They have come from stable environments with consistent messages. They have come from knowing where they stand in the heirarchy [sic] of their team, what makes them important to their team, what makes them less important to their team, with limited emotional distractions. They are level-headed players, confident players, and secure with their insecurities. They DO NOT have to keep up with the Jones'.

Thanks BB, no wonder CJ is one of the most talented ever to come through the BC soccer system! :wa:

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The best thing is 5 of those PTP committed to Vancouver-Richmond, then two days later they go back on their word. After calls from the Burnaby coach.... Would love to know what was said to this young players to make them back out on a commitment they gave. I guess integrity it not something we want to teach young men anymore. Oh well it should be interesting when some of those players join the residency program or when NTC comes calling on a cup weekend!! Karma always comes back to bite you!!

That is not an accurate summation of what occured...

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
well what did people expect when they removed the district rule. exactly as i pointed out in the hpl thread. It isn't just this age group that it's happening too, my dad is the coach of the mariners u14 team and had the same thing happen to him in uncertain terms. Not sure if the kids were provincial players but my dad had 3 players commit to him then decide otherwise and go elsewhere. Only way around solving this problem and keeping the district rule out is to limit the amount of ntc/ptp players a team is aloud. It's all a money grabbing scam league anyways...

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
When I was growing up there was a team that had "all the talent." Loaded with PTP, eventual university-level players. Stacked. 3 years running, great league record, won the league once, bombed out when it mattered each time. Before they stacked their team @ u15? Won everything.

Playing them each year was the best game of the year. The kids will love playing Burnaby, train to beat them, and love it when they do, and not be too worried when they don't because they aren't supposed to win anyway. I suggest going to watch the u16 games v. MUFC if you can. They'll be either very competitive, or very boring (for one reason or another)!

Who is the Mariners u14 coach? The web site isn't updated.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
When I was growing up there was a team that had "all the talent." Loaded with PTP, eventual university-level players. Stacked. 3 years running, great league record, won the league once, bombed out when it mattered each time. Before they stacked their team @ u15? Won everything.

Playing them each year was the best game of the year. The kids will love playing Burnaby, train to beat them, and love it when they do, and not be too worried when they don't because they aren't supposed to win anyway. I suggest going to watch the u16 games v. MUFC if you can. They'll be either very competitive, or very boring (for one reason or another)!

Who is the Mariners u14 coach? The web site isn't updated.

terry hill

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0