Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Burnaby BCSPL U16 Roster includes 14 PTP players.... bad for the league?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
ah, Terry is a good choice. Listed as u15 on the site. That sucks the kids left on him after committing. I just don't get where that attitude comes from - why are more and more parents NOT reinforcing commitment.

I find it interesting MUFC announced their squads for September season start before Mountain FC announced theirs for SYL.

Pheuty

Apr 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Food for thought:

CMF has just won the '96's Metro Cup (U16B) and they have ZERO PTP players.
Victoria were runners up, also ZERO.

If we look at league standings, Richmond with 4 PTP players ended up 11th, Burnaby (4 PTPs) were better and finished 3rd but 15 points behind CMF (in 2nd), North Fraser (2PTPs) finished 6th (30 points behind CMF). Abby (3PTs) is the exception ending 1st (3pts ahead of CMF) but they are a mostly 95 team and competed in the A Cup (lost second round).

I believe most PTP players played in U16A and A Cup.

Pheuty

Apr 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This was the best...
Oh wait, instead of a salary cap, it's a competition between parents to see who has the thickest wallet.

It's all a joke, really, but when parents start bitching about it being too competitive, they really have lost the plot. When will they learn that it's best to just shut up and silently watch their kid play the game?

I was just illustrating my point. There are transfer rules in all high school sport and in our country's beloved minor hockey programs that was held up as a model of comparison in the BCSPL's EA Sport Sponsorship announcement. The point is if the league intends on being viable for teams in all jurisdictions then something should be in place to support competitiveness. Perhaps a transition period over a season or two while the league and franchises get established.

As a parent, it isn't cheap to keep your kid playing at the level that best suits his developmental needs. I don't have a big fat wallet like some. So when my hard earned money is going into BCSPL fees I'd like to think that my kid and his team have a chance to be competitive and that we are getting value for our money. It's a sad reality... but over the last 5 years I've seen my kid's soccer fees pretty much quadruple.

I never thought I'd see the day when soccer costs would be higher than pretty much every other sport.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a parent, it isn't cheap to keep your kid playing at the level that best suits his developmental needs. I don't have a big fat wallet like some. So when my hard earned money is going into BCSPL fees I'd like to think that my kid and his team have a chance to be competitive and that we are getting value for our money. It's a sad reality... but over the last 5 years I've seen my kid's soccer fees pretty much quadruple.

I never thought I'd see the day when soccer costs would be higher than pretty much every other sport.

You are not going to get an argument from me on the costs. That has been my single biggest issue w/ the HPL since it was announced: that if we as a community truly want to develop elite players, then this league should be at no higher costs to the players AND the players themselves need to be held to a high higher level of accountability- to club, school, and community. They need to be treated like Junior A hockey players, and held to the same level of accountability to keep their spots on the squad.

So, having stated that, costs aside, you are completely missing my point: to establish a truly elite league, you MUST remove boundaries, full stop. You need to have an environment where the best are selected, not just the best inside a geographical boundary. Case in point your flawed example of the NCAA: there are no boundaries there. Any player can win a scholarship. The boundaries exist for transferring. Comparing to High School sports is like comparing steak to spam. The two leagues have completely different initiatives and missions. Since HPL is a BC Soccer initiative, the only boundary should be BC, with possible exceptions to allow one or two "import" players for Canadian players from outside BC.

I assume your son is competitive and likely good enough to win a spot on some HPL team. If he is, and you can do the driving, then his goal should be to grab the opportunity and run w/ it...have the mindset that he will grow and develop inside the environment he earns a spot with, and make the local side regret not choosing him by his play on the pitch.

And sorry, you should just shut up and watch your kid play. Bitching and moaning about the lack of competitiveness on his team is an insult to your kid, his teammates, the coach, and the club. Just shut it and be a good parent.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can see both sides of this.

In theory, this league is a good thing. Create a league that will foster growth and development to those kids that are talented enough to play at that level. Removing boundaries is an absolute must!!

Having said that, the league fees are so prohibitive, that they nullify any of the gains achieved with abolishing draconian boundary rules. The best players who can afford to play will be chosen, not necessarily the best players.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe most PTP players played in U16A and A Cup.

You're mistaken (not that it makes much difference one way or another):

All Burnaby PTP players were in U16B and Challenge Cup.
All Abby players PTP players were in U16B and A Cup
All North Fraser PTP players were in U16B and Challenge Cup.
etc. etc.

Your scenario is the exception rather than the norm.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boys why are worried how many BC players play on Burnaby side. They are no better than the guys they will play. Make sure you have five man D and let them work hard. Second half step it up and you will see. They play short bull all you have to do is send three srikers and play Engish soccer. You will see tie games.
You all know what this is all about. They are trying hard to be the feeder system to White Caps. You also know that Craig and his portner like high pace player with guts.
Have no feer justy play and tape the games. Show kids where to improve and you will see good results as season goes.
Most BC players like to dance with the ball. Step in and play the body more and things will change. If you watch MLS it is body first ball second. No space to dance. I personaly think Surrey has better coaches and Victoria has better coaches. You will be fine. Kelowna allways plays well in the PCSL. I am sure one or two guys are coaching their sides. It might surpize lots of teams.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
ah, Terry is a good choice. Listed as u15 on the site. That sucks the kids left on him after committing. I just don't get where that attitude comes from - why are more and more parents NOT reinforcing commitment.

I find it interesting MUFC announced their squads for September season start before Mountain FC announced theirs for SYL.

you're right he is doing u15, my bad

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boys why are worried how many BC players play on Burnaby side. They are no better than the guys they will play. Make sure you have five man D and let them work hard. Second half step it up and you will see. They play short bull all you have to do is send three srikers and play Engish soccer. You will see tie games.
You all know what this is all about. They are trying hard to be the feeder system to White Caps. You also know that Craig and his portner like high pace player with guts.
Have no feer justy play and tape the games. Show kids where to improve and you will see good results as season goes.
Most BC players like to dance with the ball. Step in and play the body more and things will change. If you watch MLS it is body first ball second. No space to dance. I personaly think Surrey has better coaches and Victoria has better coaches. You will be fine. Kelowna allways plays well in the PCSL. I am sure one or two guys are coaching their sides. It might surpize lots of teams.

5 man D then 3 strikers? I was never good at math but that equals 8 so unless you're not using a goalkeeper (wise tactic) that leaves you with 1 midfielder. man oh man he better be a good centre mid. base which hpl team are you coaching?

Pheuty

Apr 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're mistaken (not that it makes much difference one way or another):

All Burnaby PTP players were in U16B and Challenge Cup.
All Abby players PTP players were in U16B and A Cup
All North Fraser PTP players were in U16B and Challenge Cup.
etc. etc.

Your scenario is the exception rather than the norm.

Wow... you're right it doesn't make much difference - but you are incorrect with your facts.

Even in your statement above you only include North Fraser (2 ptp) and Burnaby (4 ptp - but not all played Challenge Cup). At best half a dozen out of 18 ptp players played challenge cup.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Missin five d are are your mids and D,Three strikers and two lap guy. D must push up and hold the thirty five area. One man picks up long ball attack by the other club. If you look the way Caps play. Their D is way to slow on a forward move. It leaves far tomany gaps. Todays game was one that showed many gaps in second half. it coast them three points.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0