Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Burnaby Mens League?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I may be interested in putting a team in this league...
Has anyone here ever played in it?
What is the skill level? Any Issues with the league i should be aware of? Any comments?

Thanks for the heads up if anyone can offer any...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
3 divisions; variable skill level. Lots of history; this league is basically run by Al Rudolph and his lil' buddy, Norm (Lucky Toque) Bradford, and has been for at least the last 20 years.

This league also has the distinction of having a memorial trophy named after somebody who is still alive - one of its division trophies was named after Jwala Prasad when it appeared that he would not survive his kidney condition - he had the temerity to stick around....

Basically started as a rec league, and gained a lot of teams when the VMSL shed its 3rd division and a number of "problem" sides. BMSA contains a number of ethnically-based teams from communities not necessarily large enough (population-wise) to set up CAT-based clubs for the VMSL's requirements.

League fees were at one point quite a bit more expensive than VMSL's, due to the City's prediliction of being able to charge what it wanted for the most shite of pitches - hence a situation at one time where league games were being played on gravel fields at 6 and 8 pm on Saturday nights.

Since the turf fields at Burnaby Lake were built, all games have been played on this surface. This also means that play in the league is subject to Burnaby's goofy attempts to restrict players to only those who can prove that they live in Burnaby :rolleyes: ...

Have fun....ask Al for a bus transfer - he hates that.:D

Trece
(coach/manager/player, Celtic United, BMSA 1987-1991)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are in. Al Called me Friday night and let me know that my team has been accepted.
Should be fun. although my back is going to hate me later for playing on turf for the whole season.

Mr. Rempa

Jul 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
BlueNoseJohn said:
We are in. Al Called me Friday night and let me know that my team has been accepted.
Should be fun. although my back is going to hate me later for playing on turf for the whole season

Congratulations BNJ So what is your team's name?

GH

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
-------------------------------------------------------------------> and slightly above where it says TEAM: Nomads FC (BMSA) :D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wouldn't they let you name your team Rangers Bluenoesjohn? :D Fear of problems with your supporters perhaps? ;)

Perhaps Sregnar F.C. might have been better? ;)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bwahaha...
The last three teams I have had were called Rangers...
There is already three teams in our division that sport light blue kits as it is... ;)

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
BlueNoseJohn said:
Should be fun. although my back is going to hate me later for playing on turf for the whole season.

Oh course you are in it's all about the money with Al.

Played in that league for 5 years. The refs are shite and be prepared for alot of injuries and cards. You will also see quite a few familiar faces from the VMSL as Al doesn't care about illegal players. Shaheen was famous for that as were a few other teams especially playoff time.

Have fun!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, From what I gathered druing the "interview process" ;)
They are very strict about players, the ID cards, and numbers/jerseys stay with the individual players and not the team.
We shall see...They say that, but what happens with injuries etc... do I have to purchase 35 numbered jerseys!? It's division "C" FFS!! :D
I guess we will have to play by the rules...It is our rookie season afterall.

Billy boy

Sep 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Played in this league a few years back. Gotta love those 9pm starts on a cold Jan/Feb night..:eek:

Best of luck BNJ:eek:

BB

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Those are actually my favorite,
I get to dress up in a fancy long sleeved shirt and wear those cute gloves that the opposition loves to make so much fun of ;) :D

markpedrosa

Aug 3, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey John,

Do you already have a full squad? Are you having tryouts? Where is your home field? How many practices per week do you intend on having? A couple of friends and I are looking to get onto a new team. Please let me know what's going on with your group.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mark,
we are still taking new players. We are mostly based in Surrey, but the League being called the Burnaby Mens League should set some lights off to steer you in the direction that all the games are in BBY at the turf complex.
Working on a pub sponsorship in Surrey.
PM me for more details.
John.

Jul 11, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh course you are in it's all about the money with Al.

Played in that league for 5 years. The refs are shite and be prepared for alot of injuries and cards. You will also see quite a few familiar faces from the VMSL as Al doesn't care about illegal players. Shaheen was famous for that as were a few other teams especially playoff time.

Have fun!

Actually, they are super strict with illegal players, four teams have been penalized over the past 2 years for having players registered in VMSL and BMSL, I speak from experience, haha. Players signing with more than one team face big suspensions from BC Soccer and everyone is watching to make sure...

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thread from the past you pulled up PD.

They were super strick about players being registered. I dont know that they checked vs other teams, but I assume BC Soccer would ahve dont that.

We had alot of fun playing there, certainly a very well run league, and there is something to be said for not having guys not show up because they are hung over...

KJ

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, they are super strict with illegal players, four teams have been penalized over the past 2 years for having players registered in VMSL and BMSL, I speak from experience, haha. Players signing with more than one team face big suspensions from BC Soccer and everyone is watching to make sure...

All I can say is I played a season with Torcida about five years ago Al was at the game we saw the opposing team bring three players on the bench after the game started we approached the ref who checked and the players had no cards. They proceed to play. We approached Al at half and he did nothing. They won the game in OT. The three players played in the VMSL.

Nothing was done and that was my experience which is why I left that league.

If Al smartened up and finally got some balls great.

cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0