Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Burnaby Park User Changes

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
In the end, I still think the various cities should sit down with the VMSL, and allocate a portion of the fields to the league. The league can then examine the rosters, etc and allocate home fields based on each team.

On a side note, our home field last winter for Cat was David Lam. Lot's of our guys drink....errrr....live in the area. :rolleyes:

What would really suck is if Vancouver ever brought in the rule....the VMSL would lose alot of teams, as many teams like ours would no longer get a field anywhere.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't been following this argument too closely (watching Oprah, you know) but I wonder, do Burnaby Eight-Rinks and/or other arenas insist that the teams renting their ice rinks have the majority of their players living in Burnaby or their respective areas? I tend to doubt it but I don't really know.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I nodded of on the first page, but thought I would add that Surrey Parks (I think) require an 80% residency for preferential treatment. Where Surrey United mens program benefits is their large youth system. Not many mini's cross boundaries to play.

Oprah is a fat twat.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
8 Rinks isn't city owned so I doubt they care one way or the other. I'm not sure about the city rinks, but if the feilds go that way, I'm sure the rinks will follow.
Dapotayto said:
I haven't been following this argument too closely (watching Oprah, you know) but I wonder, do Burnaby Eight-Rinks and/or other arenas insist that the teams renting their ice rinks have the majority of their players living in Burnaby or their respective areas? I tend to doubt it but I don't really know.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVB:

Surrey United TRAIN do they not, at the new turf field in New Westminster???

Gurps is right. If all cities do this shite, you will lower quality teams and a lot of teams just packing it in because of the bureaucracy of dealing with people running parks that don't understand how sport is organized.

The ultimate extension of 'you can't play on my park if you live elsewhere' is NO team being permitted to play non-local teams. Where does it end?

Maybe the Whitecaps should get booted off Swanguard if they can't field 80% of the players from Burnaby? (If the Parks guy is reading, that is sarcasm not an idea to put into force).

After all is said and done, the field we would have been after was Central Park for fcuk sake. We weren't asking turf or Riverway or the other fields we used to play on with the same guys.

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since it's the only way I can get Arcade Tokens Damn it, then to answer that question, YES, my info is that Surrey United Train at Mercer Stadium (New West) and my understanding is that they even get it ahead of the New West Men's and Women's teams, but don't quote me because I can't head ball and I know nothing useful.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Burnaby Parks Board sounds like a pretty facist system to me and if every team wrote a letter to Tom about this and put some presure on him I am sure that he might think of something else or change his mind on the idea that teams with players living in Burnaby would get priority for field time.

Therapist

Sep 11, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
North Van City begged us to have our home games on the turf monday nights for last season. They said it would help ease the pressure on the grass and that we'd be doing them a huge favour. Then a few months later they slipped us a $600 bill. Just lovely.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yesterday, teams with Burnaby Park allocations from last season received a new letter from the Burnaby Parks Department advising teams that they are NOT required to send in photocopies of player driver licences although they stop short of admitting this was a clear and unequivocal breaking of the law.

I hope they will see the sense in meeting with the VMSL and women's senior soccer executives to work out some accommodation for senior teams.

If these problems in Burnaby get worse, how can Burnaby teams continue as member of the Vancouver Metro league if they can't get parks? This might be Burnaby's way to build the Burnaby Men's League by disallowing non-residents to play on Burnaby teams. This clearly is the policy direction they are pushing and you have to question where this might end as a result.

Is there actually any requirement for Parks people to have some understanding of the sports user groups who actually use the facilities they manage? You wonder sometimes.

HOS, how did the Parks Supervisor enjoy fishing my letter out of the waste basket?? This law breaking incident won't look good on his employment record, will it.

I am still contemplating a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner as Burnaby does not seem to list who their FOI and PP Officer is as they are required to do in law. At least I couldn't find it and how hard can it be to find it a web site if it is there?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Half the battle has been won with the Burnaby Parks Department.

They have conceded that they can't ask for copies of each team member's driver licence for use in random checking at games as this is against the law.

However, in answering my letter they do not address the request that they meet with executives of the senior mens and womens teams to discuss how our leagues can be accommodated within their policy.

The letter glosses over the fact that this is one of the most blatant acts of breaking the law by a City that has ever occurred under BC privacy laws, but they do admit defeat. Yet, their letter does NOT even mention my suggestion that they meet with league officials like the other cities do or have done!!! Interesting that the letter fails to acknowledge that they requested this not just of our team, but ALL teams requesting fields.

HOS, if these guys spent as much time and money fixing Central Park as they have coming up with this illegal scheme, we'd have something to fight with them about. All this for 9 games at Central Park and I can't recall a season where our home games haven't shifted to a field in either New West or Van as that field is horrid when it rains.

I can't wait to see how they will come up with their new legal way of proving who lives where but I can envision a system of all Burnaby team players having to report for ID checks and photos in order to play on a Burnaby team. Ask the o/30s in North Van about that one. That will reduce the player pool for Burnaby Canadians Premier team real fast.

I may still complain to the Commissioner just because I can and it is easy to do. I have a fax machine and a copy of the Act.

The letter to me states:

Thank you for your letter advising of the Parks Department's recent request for copies of driver licences for members of your club. As you are aware Burnaby has a policy of giving higher priority to those clubs whose members live in Burnaby and this request was the Parks Department attempt to identify those clubs.

However, as you have pointed out, under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the City cannot collect personal information from individuals unless it is required for the operation of the program of the program which is not the case here. Parks Department staff have been made aware of this and will no longer require that you submit this information to them but will be developing a new method of determining players' residency.

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention and we hope that when the new proof of residency process is developed it will meet your needs while not being intrusive of the privacy of your members.

Yours truly,

Administrative Officer Operations

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos said:
All this for 9 games at Central Park and I can't recall a season where our home games haven't shifted to a field in either New West or Van as that field is horrid when it rains.

...but will be developing a new method of determining players' residency.

First, are you not the coach of a NewWest based team? Why are you playing in Burnaby?

Second, there is Plan B, now not all the details can be released, I do have some information.

It has been named: Operation Locals Only.

It is a joint operation with the By-Law Enforcement Division of the City. They have access to addresses from the information on the Licence plate of vehicles. From that and the help of an un-named city worker who has some knowledge of the local soccer community, a priority list can be established for the use of City Fields.
Reccos, by the way, you are now playing your Home Games on the Burnaby Central Gravel at 8 am on Sunday Mornings, hope this works for you.

ps. Don't Fukc with the City ever again.
pps. Did I mention that I got a big raise.

hos

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS: We were the old Clan Alumni Div. 1 team and got booted from that club and changed to Sapperton.

Hey, I hope they do the vehicle plate checks too as that is one more no brainer that is called law breaking!!! The inappropriate use of the vehicle licence data base by the by-law enforcement officers could lead to Burnaby losing their access to a data base that is to be used only for law enforcement purposes.

Fcuk, I love you guys in Burnaby dreaming up these hair brained schemes. Why won't your Parks people meet with the VMSL people like my letter suggests???

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0