Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada announces roster for September matches

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Whitecaps use the slack MLS Can-USA designation rules to their advantage. They do have 3 "Canadians." The third Canuck being Rochat - born and lived in QC until 3 months older or so.

I can very much see Alderson being in the first team set-up next year, even if as a sub. Aleman hasn't signed so he'd be part of the first-team set-up right alongside Alderson if he signs.

Massih Wassey is a German-Canadian (who has 2 Canada caps last year) and is on trial, but I don't know the status of that trial.

But these are all big if's and Alderson/Aleman are kids.

Not trying to defend WFC. Wouldn't mind them signing Stalteri who would likely be a step-up from Leathers but then again, I don't know what Diesel's engine is like these days!

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Whitecaps use the slack MLS Can-USA designation rules to their advantage. They do have 3 "Canadians." The third Canuck being Rochat - born and lived in QC until 3 months older or so.

I can very much see Alderson being in the first team set-up next year, even if as a sub. Aleman hasn't signed so he'd be part of the first-team set-up right alongside Alderson if he signs.

Massih Wassey is a German-Canadian (who has 2 Canada caps last year) and is on trial, but I don't know the status of that trial.

But these are all big if's and Alderson/Aleman are kids.

Not trying to defend WFC. Wouldn't mind them signing Stalteri who would likely be a step-up from Leathers but then again, I don't know what Diesel's engine is like these days!

The Rochat thing is bunk really. Why not have him under the Cdn flag then on the programme. They way he has played this season( our most consistent player) why wasnt he considered for the W Cup squad?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rochat is considered Canadian due to a dual citizenship, he's listed as Swiss in the programme as he has capped for them.

But you don't hear people complaining about guys like Marcel De Jong, who was born in Canada but grew up his whole life in Holland, but chose Canada instead of Holland because he knew he had no chance of playing for de Oranje... or Iain Hume, born in Edinburgh, playing for Canada, or Milan Borjan who was born in the former Yugoslavia, Klukowski- Austria, Simeon Jackson- Jamaica, Shabaini: Algeria, Jackovic: Yugoslavia, Pachecho: Portugal... etc etc etc.

The Caps will indeed get more Canucks playing with them via trade, free agency, returning from overseas, and via residency.

I still don't see this as an issue: The Caps are a pro team, and will always do the bare minimum rules-wise to return the most bang for buck to stay competitive. Whether you agree or disagree with the WAY they do it is up for debate.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone actually follow the Residency/PDL squad? Like go and watch them play?

Lots of talk about Alderson, but he's an Ontario product and was already the Canadian player of the year in his age category before the Caps came calling.

What about a local kid like Ben Fisk? Any chance he can make the jump to the senior squad?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rochat is considered Canadian due to a dual citizenship, he's listed as Swiss in the programme as he has capped for them.

But you don't hear people complaining about guys like Marcel De Jong, who was born in Canada but grew up his whole life in Holland, but chose Canada instead of Holland because he knew he had no chance of playing for de Oranje... or Iain Hume, born in Edinburgh, playing for Canada, or Milan Borjan who was born in the former Yugoslavia, Klukowski- Austria, Simeon Jackson- Jamaica, Shabaini: Algeria, Jackovic: Yugoslavia, Pachecho: Portugal... etc etc etc.

The Caps will indeed get more Canucks playing with them via trade, free agency, returning from overseas, and via residency.

I still don't see this as an issue: The Caps are a pro team, and will always do the bare minimum rules-wise to return the most bang for buck to stay competitive. Whether you agree or disagree with the WAY they do it is up for debate.

a pro team embedded in the player dev model( right near the top) of an incorporated non profit that is funded by the Provincial govt to the tune of $250,000 per year and since then we have seen diminishing returns on National team placement by the players going through this model.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Paul Barber and Lenarduzzi et al have no control over who the various MNT coaches cap.

But I hear what you're saying. I'm just playing peanut gallery...

and again, it's not the Caps fault if a bad deal was brokered for BCSA allowing them too much control or ability to self-serve... they are complicit in the end result, but to what end?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Paul Barber and Lenarduzzi et al have no control over who the various MNT coaches cap.

But I hear what you're saying. I'm just playing peanut gallery...

and again, it's not the Caps fault if a bad deal was brokered for BCSA allowing them too much control or ability to self-serve... they are complicit in the end result, but to what end?[/QUOTe

I dont blame the Caps for this situation. Good for them for brokering it. BCSA should be answerable to this.

But the Caps lobbied too lower the Cdn content rule in MLS well after they formed this partnership. So essentially what they are representing in this Provincial model is clouded by their most recent actions to act as a pro club should- to put forth the best product so people like you and I buy ticks and support them.

and then one should ask how this has benefited the BC youth player who is now practically non existent in natl team pools?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do know of one benefit however. Last October the Exec Dir of BCSA was spotted in the directors box at White Hart Lane with a certain Caps CEO. Not sure who paid for that or how it could possibly benefit the youth soccer players in this Province....

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

We welcome this scenario with open arms but slam Canadian players who play for other countries as whores and whatever horrible things they call them. Sound to me that it's us that love whores!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
agreed djones,

I used to be one of those guys that thought of Hargeaves as a traitor, but once I removed the emotion I have as a fan and sit back and think about what I'd do given his situation, I'd agree he absolutely made the best decision for he and his family and I'd advise anyone in a similar situation to do the same thing. it's sad, but true.

If the shoe fits...

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
agreed djones,

I used to be one of those guys that thought of Hargeaves as a traitor, but once I removed the emotion I have as a fan and sit back and think about what I'd do given his situation, I'd agree he absolutely made the best decision for he and his family and I'd advise anyone in a similar situation to do the same thing. it's sad, but true.

If the shoe fits...

Besides Tony Taylor cutting him at the youth level and the emotion attached to this from his perspective his Club would have not given him the choice to play for Canada anyways

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're saying FC Bayern would have actually stunted his career or cut him by flying somewhere to represent Canada instead of a European based National side?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're saying FC Bayern would have actually stunted his career or cut him by flying somewhere to represent Canada instead of a European based National side?

you must have missed an early post of mine.

OH discussion with Bayern Munich( because of course I was in the room)

"Son, you are now playing for Bayern Munich, one of the most famous Clubs in the world. If England U20 or Germany U20 come in for you, you will not play. Bayern Munich players only play in full national squads. If England or Germany World Cup teams come in for you, you will go with our blessing. If Canada comes in for you in any environment you will not return calls. You play for Bayern Munich."

End of story

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
in all honesty, I thought you were taking the piss...that really happened(happens?)

FCB has had many players playing in U-20 and for other squads.... Kroos, Wagner, Pizarro, Santa Cruz, Hitzlsperger, Muller, and Schweinsteiger...how did OH differ from them? only that he could have capped for Canada and they don't rate Canada?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
in all honesty, I thought you were taking the piss...that really happened(happens?)

FCB has had many players playing in U-20 and for other squads.... Kroos, Wagner, Pizarro, Santa Cruz, Hitzlsperger, Muller, and Schweinsteiger...how did OH differ from them? only that he could have capped for Canada and they don't rate Canada?

It was really more about being released for Canada.....

A former natl team coach and Ipswich Town player recently told me a story of him walking into Bobby Robsons office to let them know he had been called up for Canada to play in El Salvador. Robson and his assistant then proceeded to 'take the piss' for the next 10 minutes wondering if El Salvador was actually a real country and where it was located and why on earth this player felt it was in the Clubs best interest to have him play with a bunch of amateurs from Canada.

While they cannot withold these players for full intl duty there have always been issues there. Just ask Thomas R.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Thomas R.?" = Tomasz Radzinski?

Listen, I'm not trying to make a case for or against Owen Hargreaves, but it's not as if he couldn't go play for Canada if he wanted to. No club is going to stand in the way of a player of that quality's desire to suit up for his country, even if it's Canada.

I'm not in OH's inner circle or anything, but I'm sure if he told Rumminenge and Magath or whoever else was in charge at FCB at the time that he was going on INTL duty for the CMNT they would have accepted it, not necessarily fine with it, but accepted it...

Let's not sugarcoat it: Hargreaves chose England because there's a certain amount of status and worth that comes along with being an English International... like a bigger pay packet, more exposure for endorsements, etc.

He made the right choice for his career that has certainly hamstrung Canada, but then how much of a debt does he really owe the CSA and the CMNT programs? Not a lot in my estimation... he owes a lot more probably to Foothills in Calgary and the ASA.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0