Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada through to next round of WCQ 2014

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One game left to play but they are now through after today's 0-0 draw in St. Kitt's

I'm assuming they go into the group without either Mexico or the Excited States?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice work Canada. Will they be able to take advantage of not having Mexico and UAssA in their group tho? Doubt it.

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now we are in a group with Honduras, Cuba and Panama - top two go to six-team final round of Concacaf qualifying.

Seems quite possible.

How many of those six go to WC? (three I think?)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
3, potentially a 4th.
2014 FIFA World Cup qualification (CONCACAF) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As in recent tournaments, CONCACAF will have three direct qualifiers for the finals tournament in addition to a further possible place via the inter-confederation play-offs against the OFC's first-placed team. This opponent was chosen through a random draw on 30 July 2011, rather than being decided by FIFA beforehand as in previous tournaments (e.g., 2010 against a team from CONMEBOL, 2006 against a team from AFC).

since OFC is horrific now, it will likley mean that CONCACAF's 4th place team will have to play New Zealand.

We are the fourth highest seed in our group of four. :p Yes we avoided Mexico and the States, but we got countries that we have been jammed by poor officiating playing against in the past.

I really hope Canada can win the group or come second but I don't have a lot of confidence in it happening.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe its top team from each group (3) then next best record (4th place overall) goes to the intercontinental playoff..

best chance we have had in some time..

need goals now

Intercontinental Playoffs

The intercontinental play-offs will be played between the following confederations:
Asia – South America
North, Central America and the Caribbean - Oceania

Participants:
Asia: The Round 5 winner
South America: Fifth placed team
North, Central America and the Caribbean: Fourth placed team
Oceania: Winner

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cascade -

the CSA's pre-requisite for a Canadian city to host a World Cup qualifier usually entails having the other nations supporters badly outnumbering Canadians (and for the Cdn fans to be stuck in a corner and treated second class by stadium staff).
Any thoughts of a true home field advantage are usually overshadowed by having an international airport very close by the stadium so a Central American ref can bend us over and have a jet on stand-by to take them back to wherever they train them to screw us over every single campaign.

So if Vancouver can provide the above criteria then perhaps we can host a match some time.

Personally though - I think we should play in Yellowknife, St John's or maybe Prince George.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cascade -

the CSA's pre-requisite for a Canadian city to host a World Cup qualifier usually entails having the other nations supporters badly outnumbering Canadians (and for the Cdn fans to be stuck in a corner and treated second class by stadium staff).
Any thoughts of a true home field advantage are usually overshadowed by having an international airport very close by the stadium so a Central American ref can bend us over and have a jet on stand-by to take them back to wherever they train them to screw us over every single campaign.

So if Vancouver can provide the above criteria then perhaps we can host a match some time.

Personally though - I think we should play in Yellowknife, St John's or maybe Prince George.

Funny, read today that the Canadian Tennis Association chose Vancouver to host the Davis Cup matches in February, as we are playing France and do not want to them to have a "home crowd advantage" in either Toronto or Montreal. Its too bad the CSA can't figure this out.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope the Canadian Fans support the team. It is easy to be a fan of Brazil, England, etc.

Sometime I think I am the only person out there who PVR's Canada's qualifying games!!!!!

Then again, the only other team I could support would be India, and they are even more horrible than Canada!!!

I would not, however, cheer for India or any other team if they played Canada. Sickens me when I see people supporting a visiting team when playing Canada.

At the very least, don't attend the game and stay at home. Cheering against the country you live in is pretty sad.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
St John's

Worked for '86... ;)

Watched the game last night.
If they had finshed a couple more chances it would have been real ugly for St. Kitts.
Some passing looked questionable but let's give the squad time to gel.
Some players out there impressed me.
David Edgar for exampe looked good in the back.

We're in a group now where we have a shot.
So far so good.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Worked for '86... ;)

Watched the game last night.
If they had finshed a couple more chances it would have been real ugly for St. Kitts.
Some passing looked questionable but let's give the squad time to gel.
Some players out there impressed me.
David Edgar for exampe looked good in the back.

We're in a group now where we have a shot.
So far so good.

Don't know really what game you were watching, but to me they looked absolutely terrible!!!! Ricketts is a shambles up front, but he can "run miles" and "has loads of pace" so he'll likely be the next captain. They played for all intents and purposes a makeshift village squad that any one of the other 3 teams in their group now would have humped 10-0. They will not progress to the final stage of 6 teams.

:bronco:

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I said the passing was questionable.
So this game was no better than the last game?

I'm saying had they finshed a couple more chances it could have been something like 7-nil.
That's not far from 10-bagel is it?
I thought they at least worked hard.
Actually that giveaway in the 1st half where the guy rung it off the post and it shot across the goal mouth could have made it maybe 7-1...

I disagree, I don't think they looked 'terrible'.
There was some good stuff at times out there against yes, a shite squad.

I said 'some' players impressed me.
Edgar was one and so was the lad on the left side of the midfield who plays in Turkey.
Forget his name right now.

Ricketts I didn't think much of actually.

My point is we're onto the next stage and I'm hoping they get better.
And, I do think avoiding the Americans and Mexico is a good thing.

Just trying to be optimistc really.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0