Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Nationals 2008 NFLD

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Larson, the way you've talked in the past I would imagine you guys should win this fairly easily?

larsson

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since there is no VMSL team in this years competition, it is going to be tough as all 10 teams have a chance to win compared to 9 last year lol

NobbyStiles

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys,
Rumour here has it that Gorge have pulled out due to costs!!

Any comments?

PS
I have banned Larsson from posting on here until he learns not to embarrass himself, me and more importantly, the club!! Sorry about that:)

and we're not all cowboys!!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure it's entirely weak sauce - it's not cheap to get a whole team across the country these days. Asking the runner-up to go doesn't make sense as there is no time for them to raise the money needed either!

To be honest, I'm kinda surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Of course this is all hearsay at the moment. But if true, what could be done? Local business support? Doesn't someone in Victoria know Steve Nash? He kicked in a few bucks for our trip a few years ago...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is entirely weak sauce. If the rumor is true, that is.

They won the fcuking provincials in, what, May? At that point you need to shite or get off the pot.

To throw out a rough number, you'd need about $2500.00 per player. Maybe $3K. That is entirely doable, especially in a town like Victoria that is very good to it's sports teams.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
$3K times 22 = $66K

As a small business owner yourself, how much would you kick in? Seriously. It's not as easy as it appears.

That being said, the costs are not that high as the BCSA and CSA kick in some funds, but there is a limit of 18 players I think. From what I remember, a team can't search for the cheapest flights either as you have to fly Air Canada.

Again, all hearsay at this point, but a good discussion to continue!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs: four months of prep is what they had. No, it's not easy, but it is VERY easy to simply bow out early and decline the invite- give the runner-up the opportunity.

Saying it is "not easy" is frankly a lame excuse. Just say no up front, and be done with it.

If I were in it, I'd certainly come up w/ my share, and likely come up w/ a plan to help others come up w/ theirs. No, it isn't easy, but I guaran-fcukin-tee if I were involved that the club would have the money and go.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hearsay still but to continue on...

What if a business pulled out support earlier this month? It can happen. What if players were asked to kick in a couple of hundred each and several just couldn't afford it?

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having been on 'The Rock' two weeks ago for work (no, I'm not looking to import Screech to Vancouver), it is a trip that one should never pass up. I won't get into the amazing scenery Nfld has to offer and the friendliness of the locals (I am convinced everybody is named 'Buddy' back there). However, George St. is absolutely amazing. Reportedly most bars in 4 city blocks than any other City in North America. Great bars, with tons of great live music and no idiots like you find on Granville St. on a Friday or Saturday night. If Gorge can't get enough guys to go, I am sure that WVFC 'Masters' could skip their annual Vegas/Palm Springs trip and head to the East Coast for some pints of Quidi Vidi and hospitality second to none.

JAGS

Nothing like being on the complete other side of the country, listening to some local music and they break into 'The Crawl' by Spirit of the West ........... "We're good old boys, we come from the North Shore, drinkers and carousers, the likes you've never seen ..................:bronco:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs...come on man. A couple of hundred dollars?

Look on most teams, and you'll find a mix of guys from all classes. Young guys w/ no money, young guys w/ wealthy parents, older guys running fledging businesses, and everything in between. Along with this, many guys have contacts in the business community they could lean on. If that came up, and all of a sudden guys were asked to kick-in a couple of hundred each, well, I would think that if they really wanted to go, many would cough it up, some may even cough up a little extra, and the rest would come through quick fundraising amongst that business community.

It isn’t easy, but it isn’t that hard, either. It simply takes someone organized to set it up as a non-profit charity, get a charitable account set up, and issue the proper receipts. On top of that, a couple of pub-nights over the summer w/ cash money coming in.

Really man, if indeed they are pulling out, that is truly weak sauce and speaks to a low level of respect they had for the tournament not to either organize themselves, or decline the invite early enough to give the runner-up the opportunity.

Anyone else out there? Besides Regs playing Devil’s advocate and winding me up (bastard- I’m fcuking way too busy for this), what are your thoughts?

Guinness: Hypothetically, would PAU be able to come up with the cash on short notice to field a competitive squad? Gomes brothers- what about Sporting? Inter? Clanbus? Surrey United?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0