Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Politics

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
More than ever, Canada needs tax revenue from marijuana. Get rid of Harper and all of his Bush-like cronies, get a visible minority to take charge (Li Ka-Shing?) and start spending like there is no tomorrow. You can buy your way to prosperity. If not, start a war and confuse everyone while you stuff your pockets.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't It obvious?

Look at the guy

Clearly he ate everything in the cabinet..

I'd leave to if their was nothing left!

Duh

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Our Political system is awesome- regardless of who's in power- when you compare it to what the Yanks have to deal with and the crippling systems in place in the EU...

Highly doubt he's leaving prior to some impending economic doom. We are in fairly good economic shape- our Energy sector is limited in growth due to inability to reach tidewaters, our other extractive industries face similar pressures from Enviro-nuts and loony left, and our real estate markets have remained fairly robust thanks in large part to foreign investment, due again all to our economics being pretty damn stable and Canada is generally seen as a safe haven, especially when compared to our neighbors down south and in western europe.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Flaherty could be like Mark Carney.

Either they got out of managing Canada's economics because they know we're fcuked, or, they simply got a better offer.

Time will tell...:wacky:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pensions are different than Financial Welfare/Disability payments in perpetuity.

1. Don't compare Apples to Giraffes- these sorts of entitlements packages need to be addressed individually, and of their own merits. An MP is different than a Vet, is different than a bureaucrat etc.

2. "Care" doesn't always mean just money. PTSD and other afflictions can be treated and are treated via the medical system in Canada- and this goes for EVERYONE. For current and ex-servicemen the treament of these afflicitions isn't up for debate, financial reconciliation is what they're alluding to.

3. Things change, times change. Just because we could afford certain entitlements in different times doesn't mean we always will, and that we should all expect the same entitlements and more in perpetuity. I'm not saying it's right or wrong and whether I agree with it or not, it's just a fact of life.

I don't know what a Payments-In-Perpetuity vs a one time settlement looks like, but to me, if I was a late20's/early30's Vet who was wounded in war abroad in Afghanistan I'd more inclined to take a 1 time payout and seek good financial advice to set my one time payment up to set me up for life, assuming of course it's substantial enough to make it happen. If it were a case of $500k once vs getting $2k per month till you die, what do you take? The $2k per month and hedge you're going to outlive 21 Years of payments or take the $500k, make a plan, invest some and set up your life from there?

Also: Soldiers don't enter the Military expecting to be wounded/maimed/psychologically scarred...but it does happen to a decent number of them. Those entering the military do so for a wide variety of reasons, I don't think young buck 17 year old entering fresh out of high school to get a free education and get paid to learn life lessons etc etc etc is banking on a "social contract" should the unthinkable happen, so he can sit on his arse and play video games for the rest of his life blaming PTSD. I think it's there, but it's not the chief motivator to get people to "sign up"

It's easy to take pot shots at Politicians who get elected, often at huge personal financial and career expense, then live a indeterminable amount of time in public service and then complain when their pay packets and entitlements are what they are. Who would ever sign up to lead this fine country if it weren't for attractive pay and benefits?

No matter your political allegiances and leanings we can all agree that People that are talented, leaders, and visionaries need to be our electable politicians, not any Tom Dick and Harry who will simply do the job out of some "calling" or good hearted nature or spirit they posses.

Last edited:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You say this like it's a good thing?
It is a good thing, it means we're an attractive place to live in and invest in. For those of us in the market it insulates our investment, it's also an economic driver that keeps thousands of people employed from Quarries, to Cement Plants, to Forestry, to Mills, to Contractors and Manufacturers and then provides additional taxation based revenue streams for continued investment in Hospitals, Schools, Infrastructure, etc.

I'd certainly take our plight over say Detroit... or Stockton California.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you can't stand behind our soldiers you should stand in front of them.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Again, I never said I did or didn't.

I'll stand behind them, whatever that means, forever- You can't get blood from a stone and we ALL pay for ALL the entitlements and costs to run this country. If there's a better way to do what we're doing we should explore it. I'm not saying that the Soldiers shouldn't be on any sort of priority list, I cannot for the life of me imagine that Harper and the Federal Conservatives (like them or lump them) are simply throwing the Soldiers to the wolves... there has to be another side of the story.

Again: I'm not taking a position, I'm simply not piling on.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
While we're on the Communist Broadcaster of Canada's website and their published pieces, I found this one particularly crazy today on the new Finance Minister Joe Oliver, who's leaving the Natural Resources (The Economic Driver of Canada) file, and the No-Development Party's leaders comments. Nice Politicking Tom.

PS: Didn't Mulcair get the memo that the "Global Warming" crowd has self adjusted to the "Climate Change" crowd, because the Globe hasn't actually been warming in the last decade, the climate's been "changing"

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll pile on.

Regs is right, and you're wrong.

Welcome back JBN.

:D

Actually, and truthfully, there has to be some sort of incentive for taking up the political life. For many, it's a big pay cut, to leave the private sector and get into the (sometimes very) public life of a politician. I am not sure you could pay me enough.

That being said, I've always thought our soldiers who actually see action are treated like shite on their return, so far as benefits. See, I can agree with both of you.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
PS: Didn't Mulcair get the memo that the "Global Warming" crowd has self adjusted to the "Climate Change" crowd, because the Globe hasn't actually been warming in the last decade, the climate's been "changing"

You say the Globe has not been warming. How do you expain the shrinking glaciers and the rising temperatures in the southern hemisphere. All the respected Climate Scientists agree that the Globe has been warming, but its a slow process. They also aggree that there has been more extreme weather, including the cold spell felt by central Canada this year.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
PV: here you can see chief moron David Suzuki being skewered by actual scientists on the Aussie version of CBC where he's not being insulated by producers etc.

The first question out of the gate is by a scientist quoting the data sets ipcc uses, quoting a flat trend the last 17 years.

Global Warming is now called Climate Change. PS when I first said that it was intended to be cheeky and not dive into the weeds on a tangent

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, where I tend to visit the top of the fence for a break once in a while, RF has somehow swallowed the whole fcuking thing up his ass.

So, please...show a little respect.

(Sorry RF, no slight intended, of course).

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0