Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian U17 head to World Cup play

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is darn nice to see five or six kids from Caps got the call for U17 World cup. Young keeper looks strong an ready. The other five player look like they could start now. It remains to be see what the young men do but in my opinion a huge step for mens soccer in Canada. We might see few of these guys soon in England with top level clubs. Best of Luck to Sean and rest of the Canadian team. Cheers make us proud.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oldtimer both Croats an Negrians got their but kicking today. Not so sure if anybody from our old hud will be going to Brasil. I hope U17 from Canada do better. Atleast it will be nice and worm where they play.
Team has speed but skill aginst those opponants will be tested.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada 2 Austria 2. Good job by our kids. Tie at that level in my opinion is a ggod result.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Our guys tied the Iranians today in a CNM U17. Darn good to play to a tie against Iran. Well done Seand and rest of the team.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So Canada is bounced out after a 3-0 loss to the Argies.

At this point, should questions be asked of Fleming? Just getting there is an achievement, I get that, but have any players that he has had in his program gone on to bigger things?

One kid impressed me - Boakai - but the rest were somewhat... "unspectacular"

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Being around and watching the Whitecap boys on a regular basis now I can say that in their league and in OUR environment they are excellent. It just goes to show what a gulf there is compared to other countries. Being from the mean streets of Richmond or Brampton compared to the mean streets of Buenos Aires is quite different. "Wanting it" means two different things. I thought Carducci was excellent throughout. Boakai always looks dangerous with his pace and dribble but felt his link-up play was disappointing.

I'm not a big Flemming fan but you can't argue with the fact that he's qualified for two straight tournaments while the US and their 77 USSDA teams (compared to our two + TFC's academy) didn't qualify.

I think the quality of the finishing in this tournament has been absolutely phenomenal - something that is sorely lacking in Canada! Being in the development department for the last 15 years, we struggle to nurture that part of the game more than anything else, IMO. We tend to punish players in youth league who score lots of goals in games by telling them to stop scoring, pull them off or putting him/her in defence/in goal because we don't want to offend anyone. We tend to train that instinct out of them. That doesn't happen in other countries or other sports. It's celebrated. When was the last time a basketball player in the States who scored 30 points by halftime was told to stop shooting and only work on his passing instead of going for 70pts? And no matter what anyone says, scoring in training and scoring in games is massively different. I also felt that if Boakai, Gordon and Hamilton were better finishers, we would be off to the next round with wins vs Austria and snuck one out vs Iran.

It was also brought up again at the tournament that a high number of "boys" at this tournament aren't U17 age. They say they can do a wrist MRI to see but only on 4 boys per team. Even we had one who's age was in questioned because he played for Canada as a 1994 a few years ago and then now has a 1996 passport. Hmmm.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0