Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Changes to Controlling Interest of Sapperton

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Controlling interest of the Sapperton Rovers Open and U21 teams have been handed to The Tigers Sports Club and Vancouver United. The new club name is officially RTU (Rovers Tigers United).

The Sapperton Rovers Masters team will now be independent.

The late Don Smith and Kevin Hearne, and myself took over a VMSL Div 1 spot in 1994 and we gained promotion in 1996, winning the Premier league that very season. Our first coach was Dave Corr and Don Smith managed the team. Our first win was over a Div 1 Pegasus team. We won the Provincial Cup in 2006.
Some original players included:
Kent Waechter
Brian Donald
Gary Donald
Brian Wilms
Sean Flynn
Kevin Hearne
We were all 23-26 years old.
Sapperton was created because we were all friends and wanted to control our own soccer careers. It really was the culture of the team - players first - and we always played for each other.

It's been a long run for me but I have found a group of people who have a great deal of enthusiasm and passion towards the game; just like we did when we started. I wish them luck with the teams and I hope they have as much success as we did over the past 18 years.

Bryan Wevers

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB - which "Vancouver United" group is this? Is it the kids' Metro/Selects club?

In one sense, sorry to hear about the change, but as long as the tradition is respected, then great.

Alla best!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Somewhat true......but Sapperton already existed....correct? You had mentioned it was created....that particular group who went and joined Sapperton were definitely impacted by Sammy Saundh.......remember it well. A very awkward time for everyone involved with Club Ireland at the time. Now, neither club exists..........:(

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB, sorry to hear that you are walking away from it. But you did build up quite a respectable tradition with Sapperton. Lots of people who are involved now with the game are getting paid either to coach or organize teams. You did most of this on your own with out getting paid and I would assume probably put quite a bit of your own personal money into this. I remember being a part of SU womens team in 2006 when BC was the host for Nationals. You and your club personally saved BC Soccer an embaressment as your club hosted the dinner banquet. Best of luck in your future endeavours!!

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done, WAB! You did a great job with that club and it was always a pleasure playing against Sap. I will never forget the class you guys showed towards me before, during and after the game the week my father passed away. It was a tough game to get through. Much appreciated!

Good luck in the future!

BTW: you still have the best avatar on here!

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good stuff WAB! Be proud of what you accomplished. Always admired the loyalty, passion and camaraderie Sapperton exemplified. Queens Park in late November no more! It was always a guaranteed postponement!

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Somewhat true......but Sapperton already existed....correct? You had mentioned it was created....that particular group who went and joined Sapperton were definitely impacted by Sammy Saundh.......remember it well. A very awkward time for everyone involved with Club Ireland at the time. Now, neither club exists..........:(

The club "Sapperton FC" was another club. We took over that spot.
And the only thing constant is change.....

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All the Sapp guys wished you played with us. Still a chance in Masters!:)

djones
Well done, WAB! You did a great job with that club and it was always a pleasure playing against Sap. I will never forget the class you guys showed towards me before, during and after the game the week my father passed away. It was a tough game to get through. Much appreciated!

Good luck in the future!

BTW: you still have the best avatar on here!

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What position did you play?

Sir M, I was part of SU women's coaching staff from 99-01 and then again from 2006-2009! Then Roma offered me the head coaching role an offer I couldn't refuse!!;)

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
actually it's not the same it's still Delta United, there is no Sapperton in your name at all. You see Delta United still owns the spot Saperrton sold there "controlling interest" big difference. If you were to maintain the Sapperton name then it would be the same thing. :)

star #1

Aug 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
actually it's not the same it's still Delta United, there is no Sapperton in your name at all. You see Delta United still owns the spot Saperrton sold there "controlling interest" big difference. If you were to maintain the Sapperton name then it would be the same thing. :)

We were called Rovers United last year not Sapperton Rovers United. Bryan hasnt sold anything, hes still very much apart of the team and the club, just not in a everyday capacity.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0